OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

my last two posts don't have anything to do with alien autopsy, but with my update of the catalyst drivers. sorry for the confusing :)

i had bsod's at boot with all versions of 11.11 and a very earl version of 11.12. I think you should try 8.93 (11.12 beta 2 (1 to most people)) Brian posted it i saw huge improvements in BF3.

nothing much going on in here :)

i was doing some more testing / benching / playing around with Intel XTU and I noticed one thing: i can set the Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 72W, and it stays like this and it will be reaplied if i reload a profile. but: the Turbo Boost Power Max gives me an error each time i start Intel XTU because it can't apply the 72W i set it to. but if i set it manually it will be set and i can (at least that's what it seems like to me) use it that way. but if i reboot and fire up Intel XTU i will get an error message again saying some of the settings couldn't be applied and if i check Turbo Boost Power Max will be set to 48W again.

Does anyone know this behavior and why it's doing that?

Yeah I get it too. I found a way of letting it do it correctly. Get throttlestop, turn it on and let it run. Set your Turbo Power in XTU and hit apply, then click on TPL on throttlestop. It should have the new values in the boxes. You must then click OK. Then restart. All should be set now :)

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I get it too. I found a way of letting it do it correctly. Get throttlestop, turn it on and let it run. Set your Turbo Power in XTU and hit apply, then click on TPL on throttlestop. It should have the new values in the boxes. You must then click OK. Then restart. All should be set now :)

ah nice, will try this out right now, thanks :D still find it strange though ;-)

what temps do you get on your cpu? i just did a stresstest in Intel XTU and got for a few seconds 90 degrees on the Core 3. i know, repasting ;-)

funny thing is, if i play like 20 minutes of HL2 DM temps only go up to 70degrees

Edited by deadbydawn
typo =)

way to go :D

i'm about to order AS5 now! got a tipp on what pads to use on the gpu ram? i'm still waiting for a comment of alienware before i do the repasting though.

my gpu actually is quite fine with the temps, but still, if i'm doing a repaste of the cpu, i might as well do the whole thing.

Yeah, did the whole thing, too. AS5 is really nice. I didn't changed the pads on the GPU RAM. The ones from DELL/AW work fine, so there's no need to.

But with the GTX580M, changing the thermal paste on the GPU has the nice effect of avoiding throttling. Unfortunately that's an Nvidia problem... Hoping, that DELL will fix this soon, 77 degrees is ridiculously low.

ah so you can just take the cooler off and leave the pads on it. i figured they might get messed up taking the thing off and therefore i will have to exchange them. cool, so i will leave them on, too.

okay, so the nvidia part i will not have to worry about, as i have a 6990. :) well, dell has to fix some stuff anyways, just wondering how long it will take them to do it ;)

so i did the repasting with as5, cpu is doing okay, i got around 49degrees idle...gpu is doing okay also, i.e. in Intel XTU, if i do a 15 min graphics stresstest, the only thing that hits over 80 (~82) is the shaders. BUT, even though it's a pain to see temps at the higher 70s, and just one of them hits over 80. hmpf ;)

post-1903-14494992149694_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

That's nice :)

It's just so amazing, that a simply thing like repasting the thermal paste can have so much great effect.

Your notebooks gets cooler, becomes more silent and you can get more power by overclocking it ;)

yeah really! have been playing an hour of cod bo this afternoon, on one of my external 27inch screens. i love the power of this system, even though it has some flaws (built-wise)..but i guess that's the dell-part of it ;-)

nice work with the repaste job deadbydawn. gotta love how easy it is to work with an r3.

thx! =)

yeah u call it!

yeah i've seen youtube videos on the differences between the two..

btw, i noticed on HWiNFO64 that the fans of my 6990 are not going over 30%, even on full load. did any one of you configure the fans other than standard? like in HWiNFO for example? my cards (800/1150) temp is around 55 - 60 when idle and i was just wondering on the fan not being used more than 30% when the card gets around 75 - 82 (sharders) degrees at the max.