Alienware M17x-R2 or M17x-R3? Your pick!

Brian

Damn Getfound you do all that no wonder why you put 8 gigs of ram in your R2. I just ordered some GSkill ram from newegg 1333mhz it was a good price to put into my R2 which i cherish more than anything lol. Finally R2 and R3 debates this will be plenty of fun and hopefully more friendlier than nbr lol.

Nice upgrade on that ram GETFOUND. This place is certainly where we all are collectively gathering we just didn't know it. I have a feeling this forum will definately be the haven we all have been looking for. It's like that fabled line, "If you build it they will come!" Great job everyone.

Edited by mw86
spelling correction

• Founder

Glad you guys like it here. We're going to continue to add features and possibly a new look for the forum (unless everyone likes this one). We'll do a vote later on between some proposed looks for the forum and let you guys pick which you want.

Well I am definitely not biased as I bought an outlet AW with the following spec: i7 920xm, 5870CF, 4gig, RGB. After taxes it was about 2k. A new R3 with 1080p screen (inferior) SB processor (damn good) and 6970 is about 2k. I have always had a hard time buying "old" but thought the deal was too good to pass up. I mean I got a 4k system for 2k. However, the 6970 absolutely trounces a 5870 and you never have to worry about compatibility with future games, or any other CF issues. I am out of my 21 day return but I am not sure I would make the same decision. I don't care about 3D, but I do care about HDMI in, SB USB 3.0 and the best GPU. 2 5870s only equaling a 6970 is reminding me when I was very happy that I bought a m15x right when it came out with the 8800GTX and people had bought 2 8700gt in SLI and regretting it. That m15x lasted me a good three years and now I am thinking that this will make it maybe a year:( Hopefully people can paint a brighter picture of this system for me! I dont want to wait for a "m18x" as I really don't want to spend 4k when I just bought a house and an expensive car. My wife will barely let me get this!

• Founder

Contrary to what some may claim, a single 6970M is not in anyway as fast as 5870m crossfire. It's about 70-80% as fast in some circumstances but I'd say the average would be 70%. Which is still damn fast and a lot faster than a single 5870M. It may even equal a 5870M xfire setup in some DX11 heavy games but DX9/10 it will not unless there are crossfire compatibility issues. The R3 is pretty good for those that want a lighter, slimmer and almost as fast system. Too bad about AW going with rubber + WLED though. If they had built a magnesium and/or aluminum version with a higher gamut/brightness screen, I'd have bought one.

Contrary to what some may claim, a single 6970M is not in anyway as fast as 5870m crossfire. It's about 70-80% as fast in some circumstances but I'd say the average would be 70%. Which is still damn fast and a lot faster than a single 5870M.

I haven't gone back to look, but I'm sure I'm getting flamed in the M18x thread on nbr about this. I essentially quoted this statement. I hate seeing posts that say the 6970 is as fast as 5870 in xfire...

• Founder

They will learn the cold hard truth when it's in someones hands. In dx11 it may match 5870 xfire in games like metro but dx10 (majority of games) it's going to lose.

Guest Infernia

So glad I found you guys.... again.... not to mention I got a dozen emails telling me the wiki forum was closing and that this one was opening... :P

Hey we now have a legacy Alienware... the R2. And I'm damn proud... um can we say that? Oh well

I promise I'll get a sig and avatar later. Maybe just use my other ones temporarily til I get the creative juices flowing again.

And back to the ON-Topic opinion.

+1 for Danger and his suggestion for a name of M17X - 3D.... save on the confusion and put the proper title on the laptop that they rushed out the door to compete in that particular market. No I am not implying that the R3 is not a quality laptop, it is. I am only saying that it is not the predecessor to the R2... as many others have already said before me.

Why can't they go with Anodized aluminum? Some awesome colors out there and a nice protective coating on it would keep scratches at bay plus provide a whole lot of customization....

Good to see all the familiar names again. Now to finish bookmarking all my favorite tweaks, mods, and workarounds

Cheers

Edited by Infernia

• Founder
So glad I found you guys.... again.... not to mention I got a dozen emails telling me the wiki forum was closing and that this one was opening... :P

Hey we now have a legacy Alienware... the R2. And I'm damn proud... um can we say that? Oh well

I promise I'll get a sig and avatar later. Maybe just use my other ones temporarily til I get the creative juices flowing again.

And back to the ON-Topic opinion.

+1 for Danger and his suggestion for a name of M17X - 3D.... save on the confusion and put the proper title on the laptop that they rushed out the door to compete in that particular market. No I am not implying that the R3 is not a quality laptop, it is. I am only saying that it is not the predecessor to the R2... as many others have already said before me.

Why can't they go with Anodized aluminum? Some awesome colors out there and a nice protective coating on it would keep scratches at bay plus provide a while lot of customization....

Good to see all the familiar names again. Now to finish bookmarking all my favorite tweaks, mods, and workarounds

Cheers

Welcome mate! Spread the word and be sure to check out the site as well ;)

Guest Infernia
Hey Michael, Infernia is a girl:feel_good:
Happens all the time :)

Thx for the welcome.

Edit: username: Infernia <-- was TRYING to feminize the word 'inferno' years ago when i chose that name. Hasn't worked for me yet. :P

Edited by Infernia