Y510p overheating

julien329

Hello Guys,

I wanna share my FINAL SOLUTION for this overheating problem with you which doesn't include any hardware changes. The used values worked for each game I have, while higher clocks and voltages only worked for some games.

1. Undervolting and underclocking the CPU using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU):

• set the Multipliers for 3 and 4 active cores to 26 (reduces heat and prevents throttling)
  • set the Core Voltage Offset to -50 mV
  • these settings won't change after a restart

2. Undervolting and underclocking both GPUs using Nvidia Inspector (NVI):

• to change the voltage, modifying the BIOS of both internal GPU and Ultrabay GPU will be necessary, this is done by using the BIOS-Mod of Svl7 right here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3546-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod/
  • then download Nvidia Inspector: http://orbmu2k.de/tools/nvidia-inspector-tool  (Download button is down the website directly above the comments)
  • unzip it and start the file, click "Show Overclocking" and wait for 10-20 second until the values have been refreshed
  • you will always have to wait some time until the values are shown correctly
  • then set the Base Clock Offset to -118 MHz, the Memory Clock Offset to -200MHz and the Voltage Offset to -112.5 mV and click on "Apply Clocks & Voltage", if you have 2 GPUs, select the second one in the bottom left hand corner, do the same for it and apply
  • then you will have two options: 1. you create Clock Shortcuts for each GPU using the button and do apply these setting after each restart or 2. you right click that button and create a Clock Startup Task so it will be applied after each restart automatically (which is much better)

I will also attach a batchfile that does exactly the same as the Shortcuts.

The values I used should work for each Y510p but you can also try using different ones.

I hope this helps some people.

The temperatures:

- in idle 45-50°C

- under load 60-85°C (depending on which game and which settings)

overheating fix.zip

Edited by Bobbey

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016. 07. 16. at 2:54 PM, Bobbey said:

Hello Guys,

undervolt and underclock....

Really? :) Undervolt is ok, but underclock... Come on.

DO heatsink, mounting mechanism mod, do fan change, do metal thermal paste mount.

If you are willing to keep warranty,and performance as well, sell it and buy one with proper cooling.

Recently installed an AW m14 R2 fan ( only the 6.4CFM version, lame ebay seller sent wrong one) but still  stronger than original.

Had to cut out CPU fan motor and mounting legs of motor from heatsink ( round hole left after)

Cut the AW fan out from its chassis, keeping a bit longer legs cut out from plastic.

Now easily insert fan from keyboard side into heatsink shroud, place it in position and glue tha fan to shroud.

Now, switch middle to pins in the fan connector and thats it.

valley_str_awfan.jpg

This is with valley running paused at scene where gpus loaded properly, cpu is locked to 3.4G so lenovo throttling is skipped.

This is with stock fan control, no outer cooling aid, just built in fans with slightly elevated chassis.

Now lets see what happens if i run TSBench beside Valley, to load cpu as well to its max.

valley_str_awfan_tsbench.jpg

Now, that is what I call a near final solution. :)

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

@ghoul Oh wow. I'm impressed. now that is what you call a mod. literally lol.

I aint a fan of under clocking either. I have the single gpu model, so every Mhz counts.

Thanks, pictures has been uploaded to local forum, here: http://prohardver.hu/tema/lenovo_ideapad_y400_y500/hsz_14270-14270.html

@Bobbey: Doesn't get that hot? What's the difference between 750m and 755m? First the memory is running higher, 750M uses 1250Mhz binned Hynix with 1.5V voltage. 755M uses 1500Mhz binned same Hynix with same 1.5V running @1350Mhz. Thermal differences between the two is close to none. Mine is running only 1300Mhz, gpu is ok,but memory is shitty like hell.

750M runs @1058Mhz boost clock, 755M runs at 1097Mhz.

The gpu voltage is based on leakage( ASIC quality), and you can get a 750m which runs at higher voltage than 755m. Thermals between few watts only.

And limited by TDP as well, mine has like over 100W/gpu in bios( actual is way lower of course :) )

Please note, my gpus have 1.05 and 1.08 voltage as default, running at 1.0 and 1.05 , so gpus are undervolted, and besides that, overclocked beyond 755m speed.

Cpu is overclocked with the 2 extra bins, which is present in 4700mq, and undervolted via -85mV and -50mV cache.

Memory is faster than stock 1600Mhz, they are running at 1866.

So if you had instability, that has nothing to do about being a 755m modell :) and running things at default speeds could  be done with even better temps.

Simply you have undervolted too much,because of thermal reasons, and/or you are not able to undervolt more, but cooling can not cope with heat.

This is what this and previous hw mods are done for, so you can use the performance present in the hw, and don't have to do underclock, which is unacceptable for me.

If you are using underclock for like longer battery life, that is ok, I can accept that, but to do it, because cooling is messed by lenovo, well..., not so much.

Lucky for me, i could do a workaround for their mistakes and now happy with my laptop, more than ever. :)

Edited by ghoul
typo

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2016 at 11:57 PM, ghoul said:

Really? :) Undervolt is ok, but underclock... Come on.

DO heatsink, mounting mechanism mod, do fan change, do metal thermal paste mount.

If you are willing to keep warranty,and performance as well, sell it and buy one with proper cooling.

Recently installed an AW m14 R2 fan ( only the 6.4CFM version, lame ebay seller sent wrong one) but still  stronger than original.

Had to cut out CPU fan motor and mounting legs of motor from heatsink ( round hole left after)

Cut the AW fan out from its chassis, keeping a bit longer legs cut out from plastic.

Now easily insert fan from keyboard side into heatsink shroud, place it in position and glue tha fan to shroud.

Now, switch middle to pins in the fan connector and thats it.

valley_str_awfan.jpg

This is with valley running paused at scene where gpus loaded properly, cpu is locked to 3.4G so lenovo throttling is skipped.

This is with stock fan control, no outer cooling aid, just built in fans with slightly elevated chassis.

Now lets see what happens if i run TSBench beside Valley, to load cpu as well to its max.

valley_str_awfan_tsbench.jpg

Now, that is what I call a near final solution. :)

Did you replace both fans? Your temperatures are good but your GPU memory isn't loaded to its full? What is your ambient temperature, and temperatures while gaming? And what is your ASIC quality for both the cards? What drivers you using?

Edited by daicharade1
typo

On 2016. 08. 26. at 5:05 PM, daicharade1 said:

Did you replace both fans? Your temperatures are good but your GPU memory isn't loaded to its full? What is your ambient temperature, and temperatures while gaming? And what is your ASIC quality for both the cards? What drivers you using?

Scroll up a bit, you can find almost all the answers there. For the lazy ones:

Yes, both fan was upgraded. No,because GPU load matters more,than saturating  memory bus and GPU is waiting for that. Ambient was around 24C. Temps under game depends on the game, this is why i choosed this test, because it can be easily reproduced, hence comparable.  Asics: 84.6 Internal, 76,6 ultrabay. Driver was upgraded since then to latest, so i dont know, but don't think it matters at all, unless you use ancient drivers.

Temps nowadays skyrocketing, so does cpu speed, switched to 4930MX, GTA5 can be played @4GHz, with thermals 90C +/-2C top ( depends on core), gpus are chilling, since fan speed is higher because of cpu temp :) Synthetic test is forgettable, if I want keep machine alive, but gaming is fine, so it is ok.

18 minutes ago, ghoul said:

Scroll up a bit, you can find almost all the answers there. For the lazy ones:

Yes, both fan was upgraded. No,because GPU load matters more,than saturating  memory bus and GPU is waiting for that. Ambient was around 24C. Temps under game depends on the game, this is why i choosed this test, because it can be easily reproduced, hence comparable.  Asics: 84.6 Internal, 76,6 ultrabay. Driver was upgraded since then to latest, so i dont know, but don't think it matters at all, unless you use ancient drivers.

Temps nowadays skyrocketing, so does cpu speed, switched to 4930MX, GTA5 can be played @4GHz, with thermals 90C +/-2C top ( depends on core), gpus are chilling, since fan speed is higher because of cpu temp :) Synthetic test is forgettable, if I want keep machine alive, but gaming is fine, so it is ok.

How come your default voltage is 1.05 and 1.08? I used svl7's bios and vbios unlock and my voltages are 1.1V (750m SLI, 1058,1250). My Asic quality is 75.4 and 89.1 yet it crashes out on yer clocks and voltages :(

22 hours ago, daicharade1 said:

How come your default voltage is 1.05 and 1.08? I used svl7's bios and vbios unlock and my voltages are 1.1V (750m SLI, 1058,1250). My Asic quality is 75.4 and 89.1 yet it crashes out on yer clocks and voltages :(

Becasue those are the fused ones, before modded bios. Of course, after modded bios, everyone will have 1.1V, unless you extract bios files ( 1 for sli, 1 for optimus) and mod voltages further.

Regarding stability at certain voltage, every gpu is unique, respond different at different voltage levels, guess i was lucky with mine.

Test them out one by one, don't use sli for undervolt testing.

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 11:44 PM, ghoul said:

Becasue those are the fused ones, before modded bios. Of course, after modded bios, everyone will have 1.1V, unless you extract bios files ( 1 for sli, 1 for optimus) and mod voltages further.

Regarding stability at certain voltage, every gpu is unique, respond different at different voltage levels, guess i was lucky with mine.

Test them out one by one, don't use sli for undervolt testing.

Sorry for my noobness.. What do you mean fused? Why testing without SLI? 

10 hours ago, daicharade1 said:

Sorry for my noobness.. What do you mean fused? Why testing without SLI? 

Means default voltage for chip set by nvidia. Because there you can test cards one by one, and one doesn't affect others stability.

On 31/08/2016 at 6:19 PM, ghoul said:

Means default voltage for chip set by nvidia. Because there you can test cards one by one, and one doesn't affect others stability.

Ok so I could run Valley at your clocks and voltages but not games. Especially Rise of the Tomb Raider. What voltages you run yer setup at while gaming and what games?

On 2016. 09. 04. at 9:02 AM, daicharade1 said:

Ok so I could run Valley at your clocks and voltages but not games. Especially Rise of the Tomb Raider. What voltages you run yer setup at while gaming and what games?

These are my only voltages, i use them for games as well. :) Tried ROTR, it was stable. Could run valley with even lower voltages on ultrabay, but to be game stable it had to be raised to 1.05V.

Every chip is different, mine does lower volts than yours, but for exchange, memory oc is crap. Beyond +100 it is doing texture errors. Nothing guarantees that,even if they are the same ASIC quailty, if mine does certain speed at a voltage, yours can too,

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @ghoul, have you noticed the overall system power limit? It seems the board is limited to a max of ~140W, pulling 155W-165W from the wall depending on PSU efficiency. Any more than that, and it will drain battery. Try running TS Bench 1024M and Heaven/Valley at the same time with your CPU and GPU's overclocked, you'll probably see it.

16 hours ago, octiceps said:

Hey @ghoul, have you noticed the overall system power limit? It seems the board is limited to a max of ~140W, pulling 155W-165W from the wall depending on PSU efficiency. Any more than that, and it will drain battery. Try running TS Bench 1024M and Heaven/Valley at the same time with your CPU and GPU's overclocked, you'll probably see it.

Hey,

Not really,because i rarely push HW that far,and by default i use undervolt on cpu/gpu even under oc.  But it can happen easily, if you overvolt gpu-s and cpu is overclocked, not to mention, with 58W cpu it can be easliy reproduced, and i read about this somewhere, but that was with different modell.

When tried  once 1.3G gpu clock with 1.2V on gpu-s with original 170W psu, overcurrent was tripped sometimes, but probably it drained battery at that time as well.

You can try larger dell psu, or parallel 2x 120W or another 170W lenovo one.

However, be really careful, and check internal DC cable connection on motherboard side, because now for me the second one got burned. ( 58W cpu is not really supported, despite it works fine, first was burned with 4700mq ) Pin is ok on motherboard side, solder seems ok, but the female pin in connector gets really hot, and burns plastic around. Easy fix is ( wich i did already) is to direct solder a thicker cable, but  notice, there is very little place left to route cable under speaker.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...