M15X -> GTX 670M or GTX 675M?

Hi all

I decided to upgrade my M15X.

Current configuration:

DDR3 SDRAM 4.096 MB @ 1.333 MHz

1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX260M

500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 720QM

Im looking for nVidia gtx 670M and gtx675M, but no idea what works better on my laptop, I was read some issues about power supply (75W or 100W), about throttling and about incompatibilities.

Im reading your posts, and get more and more doubts, can somebody help me?

Thank you so much!

I have no answer by Dell support, Laptopmonkey people say to me that better the 670M but I have no idea why...

Ill get the 670M, and try on my laptop.

Hi all

I decided to upgrade my M15X.

Current configuration:

DDR3 SDRAM 4.096 MB @ 1.333 MHz

1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX260M

500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 720QM

Im looking for nVidia gtx 670M and gtx675M, but no idea what works better on my laptop, I was read some issues about power supply (75W or 100W), about throttling and about incompatibilities.

Im reading your posts, and get more and more doubts, can somebody help me?

Thank you so much!

i have tried the 675m in my m15x before. no luck at all, like most threads in related forums state the card couldn't access 3D clocks, so no fun at all playing games.

but there seem to be some exceptions, since some ppl say, the 675m runs in their system. personally i wouldn't risk that again.

made me send my 675m back and get a amd 7970m (undervolted to 0.950V, clevo with DP not working :( ).

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 840 @ 1.87GHz,Alienware score: P5599 3DMarks

i have read that the 675mx should be running good in a m15x, but i havn't followed such threads.

i suggest a 7970m (dell if you can find) or a nvidia 680m. a bit pricy still, but guaranteed (right now up-to-date) gaming power.

i have tried the 675m in my m15x before. no luck at all, like most threads in related forums state the card couldn't access 3D clocks, so no fun at all playing games.

but there seem to be some exceptions, since some ppl say, the 675m runs in their system. personally i wouldn't risk that again.

made me send my 675m back and get a amd 7970m (undervolted to 0.950V, clevo with DP not working :( ).

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 840 @ 1.87GHz,Alienware score: P5599 3DMarks

i have read that the 675mx should be running good in a m15x, but i havn't followed such threads.

i suggest a 7970m (dell if you can find) or a nvidia 680m. a bit pricy still, but guaranteed (right now up-to-date) gaming power.

seems very interesting... then if 670 doesn't work fine I'll try with 680, but I think that 670 will run ok.

I have an 670MX now installed. I am sorting out the drivers now but it does work, the 675 will not.

670mx, 675mx or 680m is the way to go. 675m is a no go!!! (same for as the 580m). 670m isn't worth the money either.

The other great option is the AMD 7970m.

hi all

My 670M It's here, I get all on putted my Alienware but now I can't install the nVidia drivers, say to me that Don't find a compatible hardware. Now Im reading something about .inf file and that I need search in laptopvideo2go, but I don't know how works this kind of files...

Im going to read a little more

Hi all

Finally I get my nVidia GTX 670M and I decide to create this kind of photo-guide

Stuff Needed

1 nVidia gtx670M

1 thermal pads and compound

Last drivers o nVidia card

modiffied ".ini" file (I get this from laptopvideo2go.com)

last bios for Alienware M15x (M15XR1 A09 for me)

This is my little... I had to say that laptopmonkey works so good

IMG_0757_zps0484bfc8.jpg

first step

unninstall old drivers

install new BIOS

Need to burn it in a cd and reeboot the computer with it inside (you can also create a bootable USB)

IMG_0759_zpsd29a360a.jpg

IMG_0760_zps568d4404.jpg

second step:

unscreew back and front panel (where tactil leds are) and unscreew the right fan

back panel

IMG_0786_zpsa4a194b8.jpg

IMG_0761_zps46627998.jpg.html?sort=3&o=27

2 screews for get out the front panel

IMG_0785_zps3b9f1b13.jpg

front view before/after.

IMG_0762_zpsb3a4851a.jpg

IMG_0763_zps38c3d867.jpg

IMG_0783_zpsa9827519.jpg

Unscreew the fixation of this piece (2scree in the front and 1 in the back)

IMG_0782_zpsdb79d0cb.jpg

IMG_0781_zpse194ee7d.jpg

Get out the fan

IMG_0780_zps13e8b7db.jpg

IMG_0779_zpsf3867b9b.jpg

IMG_0764_zpsfa52c832.jpg

now we extract the refrigeration system

IMG_0766_zps33f5a05a.jpg

IMG_0767_zps84122445.jpg

It's a good idea clean the dust (my fault :D )

IMG_0765_zps3fffcc21.jpg

Third Step, change de VGA

IMG_0768_zps2bffb2d3.jpg

IMG_0769_zpsf0d35c5c.jpg

IMG_0770_zps29a5c3f5.jpg

Front

IMG_0771_zps0a9f704c.jpg

Back

IMG_0772_zps62389533.jpg

Now we get out the "X" piece that we need to put in the new VGA

IMG_0773_zps8c1f456a.jpg

IMG_0774_zps8fe2852f.jpg

and now it's ready

IMG_0775_zps28553dd1.jpg

Thermal compound and thermal pads

IMG_0776_zpscf176b4c.jpg

(Yes I don't use all thermal pads, i Can't wait more....)

IMG_0777_zps70a569a4.jpg

Fourth step

Closing...

Just followback the method

IMG_0778_zps2bf1158b.jpg

... etc etc...

push a little for put the front panel.

IMG_0784_zps539b3461.jpg

Fifth Step, Install

Cancerigen Resolution hahaha

IMG_0787_zps1bb9a0a4.jpg

If we try to install drivers before change modified ".inf" file

IMG_0789_zps32f620c6.jpg

well, my ".inf" file it's downloaded from laptopvideo2go and we need put it into folder

where we get the VGA Drivers. In my computer is: "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\314.22\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver"

Now we can install

GPUZ_zps268b3470.jpg

and we can burn the hell

Thanks for read!

• Thumbs Up 2

Awesome pics, cool work!

...but look at that dust!! oO

One little detail... WAAAAY too much thermal paste ;)

@svl7 could probably send you a modded inf, he has some for M15x + nvidia cards. Just tell him your hardware id. And yeah the pictures above have way too much thermal paste heh.

He gave me one in another thread. I used it. When it installed it showed the driver was at .07 and 3D was at .22.

Hello everyone, I'm wondering, is it better to use the back X plate that was originally in the M15x (the one on the right in the picture) or the one that came with my 770m (on the left) Both of them fit in the computer. Thanks!

post-15579-14494995868912_thumb.jpg

The one on the left has a cover for the VRAM on the bottom of the card, if your card has VRAM (black chips) on the bottom which it looks like it does from the compression of the thermal pads then I'd use the one that came with it for slightly better cooling.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello everyone, I'm wondering, is it better to use the back X plate that was originally in the M15x (the one on the right in the picture) or the one that came with my 770m (on the left) Both of them fit in the computer. Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8547[/ATTACH]

Use the original one (the right one in the picture), the other one has a higher mounting threads and would need modification for good temperatures.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the M15x backplate no modification should be necessary.

So if the vram chips on the bottom dont need to disperse heat, does that mean the vram chips on the top dont need thermal pads to spread their heat into the heatsink? And is it advisable to upgrade my bios from A05 to A09? (Or is A05 just fine)

Hi guys! Joined the forum because of this thread! Thanks for the awesome pic of replacing the vga Dravent!

I have 670 installed too! And quite happy with it.

But my problem is that i used an old i7 920XM.. Didnt even get 3Ghz!

I think i had a bottleneck sometimes, and now its sometimes error when i play games.

There's something like green pixels everywhere.

Does the old processor caused this???

Thanks before guys!

I don't think green pixels everywhere can be caused by your processor. I'd check the graphics card. And don't worry too much about clock speed.

Thanks for the reply! But i just got the graphic card earlier this year, its about 6 month now. Are there any possibilities? Or the bottleneck effects damaged the card??

Hmm will this method work on my GTX 660m? >.< I just got it and really want to get it installed I tried but no work, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Okay well got my GTX 660m working... however it seems that whenever it hits 1.1v my M15x shuts down due to voltage, did 3 tests. GPU isn't overheating it's running perfectly, it's just if I run a game and it hits 1.1v my laptop just decides to shut down, would nvflashing fix this issue?