Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I´m playing with the idea of installing the modded bios but im wondering, if I´m only able to overlock one of the GPU´s, will I get any benefit out of that ? Is it worth the effort and risk ? Just owned the latest SLI version a week ago, don´t want to risk anything if there´s no benefit

"Just wanted to make sure before flashing, my backup of my bios was a .bin, the modified bios was a .rom and the fixed modified bios is still a .rom Since the instructions say (yourfilename.bin) I assume that its actually yourfilename.rom? "

Never mind, I got impatient and just finished the flash, worked great. You may want to revise the instructions on the first post for those that run across the same thing.

I sure hope you solution works but I don't think you can get PM's til you have 5 posts.

Though I think your the same person posting on Notebook Review so keep an eye peeled on both. Were all very interested

I know. I am trying to do my best to do some useful posts. I can be of help to this forum as well. I noticed I could extract the vBIOS from the Ultrabay SLI card using nvflash for windows which I downloaded from techpowerup. I think the command was

nvflash --save original.bin

After that it will prompt you which card, you will say the second.

Now if you want to flash the card you use nvflash again. It may be possible you need to remove the write protection using nvflash. The commands for it are there.

The BIOS extracted is a nice 88kb file which is a clean BIOS file.

So yes it is possible :)!

• Thumbs Up 3

I

Now if you want to flash the card you use nvflash again. It may be possible you need to remove the write protection using nvflash. The commands for it are there.

The BIOS extracted is a nice 88kb file which is a clean BIOS file.

So yes it is possible :)!

Interesting, cause the users who tested nvflash for me all said it doesn't work, i.e. nvflash said "no Nvidia adapters found".

Which vbios version do you have? 88kb is actually too small unless you have an older version. Can you please upload the file here so I can take a look at it?

Here it is svl7 Zippyshare.com - original.bin

I used the top one for Windows on this link to extract it: Downloads | techPowerUp

I haven't tested flashing it but if you want I can look into that as well. But I can assure you it works.

Version on second card is 80.07.27.00.33 (P1304-fd10)

If you make the vBIOS mod upload it on zippyshare if I do not have 5 posts by then so I can download and test it.

VBIOS was saved with:

nvflash --index=1 --save original.rom

Flashing gives me this output:

nvflash --index=1 original.rom

Zippyshare.com - Capture.PNG

svl7 extracting the vbios seems maybe to be invalid when trying to flash. What you however can do is extract the vbios from the actual Y500 BIOS and try to flash it directly to the Ultrabay card. I think that may work.

• Thumbs Up 3

The vbios is fine, but it lacks the uefi part (which doesn't really matter, but I wonder whether SLI would work like this with an uefi installation and fast boot / secure boot activated).

The warning message when flashing doesn't matter, the IDs don't match, but it will work anyways.

For mobile systems I still recommend flashing per DOS version of nvflash, if the Win version works, the other should as well.

-- File moved to first post --

• Thumbs Up 1

The vbios is fine, but it lacks the uefi part (which doesn't really matter, but I wonder whether SLI would work like this with an uefi installation and fast boot / secure boot activated).

The warning message when flashing doesn't matter, the IDs don't match, but it will work anyways.

For mobile systems I still recommend flashing per DOS version of nvflash, if the Win version works, the other should as well.

if i'll flash with this file sli overclock will be avalable?

and how to flash?The same way like in instruction but at the last step choose this file?

sorry for stupid questions..

i have v2.02 flashed

still core clock doesnt rise..

ive created backup in nvflash than

nvflash -i[1] -6 vbios2.rom

and it was written smth like comparing cards..and no any process/comlete info..trided several times but result is the same.Maybe sli card has #0?both cards have the same names.I didnt risked to try flash another card

I don't have an Y500 to test it, but since the other GPU is really on-board I'd say that nvflash will only see one adapter, so flashing with the -6 flag should be all you need. (I could be wrong).

• Thumbs Up 1

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, cause the users who tested nvflash for me all said it doesn't work, i.e. nvflash said "no Nvidia adapters found".

Which vbios version do you have? 88kb is actually too small unless you have an older version. Can you please upload the file here so I can take a look at it?

I tried using nvflash, and it gave me an error saying it couldn't find the EEPROM :/. I was trying to extract the vBios for the single 650m card (using "nvflash --save original.bin" command), after having flashed the modded 202 BIOS.

Gonna try this out soon and will report back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

YYEEEESSSSSSS!!! You guys are freakin' geniuses.

bZJNL9M.png

7FWpsiT.png

Here's how I got it to work:

Use DOS version of NVflash.

Follow svl7's guide to but make sure you first turn off write protection with nvflash -r for the Ultrabay GPU which is index <1>.

Then flash ONLY the Ultrabay GPU (remember it is GPU 1).

Press y twice to confirm and wait until it reports that it has flashed successfully.

CTR+ALT+DEL to restart and PROFIT.

• Thumbs Up 1

YYEEEESSSSSSS!!! You guys are freakin' geniuses.

bZJNL9M.png

7FWpsiT.png

Here's how I got it to work:

Use DOS version of NVflash.

Follow svl7's guide to but make sure you first turn off write protection with nvflash -r for the Ultrabay GPU which is index <1>.

Then flash ONLY the Ultrabay GPU (remember it is GPU 1).

Press y twice to confirm and wait until it reports that it has flashed successfully.

CTR+ALT+DEL to restart and PROFIT.

Way to go! It's great to see the success :D.

svl7 can you tell me how you did the BIOS mod itself? How did you extract the BIOS from the Y500? Also what did you use to edit? e.g. Phoenix Tool to extract the modules and then a hex editor and nibitor to correct checksum?

I would be glad to know this. If you simply write the software you used that's great. If you ever happen to go away I can continue support for this laptop.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice that it works for you guys, i just moded my bios 1.05 but still i cant raise the core clock on my 650m(0).

I have sli but still i should be able to raise the clock above 135mhz on my onboard gpu with only the mod right ?

Sure there is... which reminds me that I need to update the instructions on the first post.

You need to flash the leaked v2.02 update (link can be found in the last couple of pages) and then follow the instructions in page one to flash the modified v2.02 (link can also be found in a post a couple of pages ago).