Ripsaw

M17X R4 GTX 1060 upgrade

2 hours ago, decool said:

Perfect, thanks for your help :)

edit : I just downloaded this .inf file for the 382.05 driver.

https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/31886-geforce-38205-mobile-oem/

does it work on the GTX 1060 for my upgrade.

I'm on that version now :)

Same procedure as all other versions. I have updated the first post for installation instructions for future reference.

Edited by Ripsaw

On 5/8/2017 at 10:42 PM, aaronloveweed said:

If still not booting:

1st way is to boot only by CPU iGpu (no dGpu phisically inserted)

2nd to do is to re-seat Gpu after the contacts get cleaned, make sure is well inserted and properly pasted.

So i did both and its no longer 6 beeps but 8 beeps

the computer boots if im using the hdmi out to a monitor but without the hdmi i get 8 beeps no post

Edited by ulq1517

1 hour ago, ulq1517 said:

You cant do the 1. with a 120Hz.

If the iGPU is still enabled then you get 8 Beeps because of the 120Hz Screen.

On 2017-5-15 at 4:42 PM, ulq1517 said:

the computer boots if im using the hdmi out to a monitor but without the hdmi i get 8 beeps no post

I had an 8 beep issue with the old card if I fully screwed the card into the mxm slot. I fixed it with a few thermal pads underneath the card to put the gpu at a slight angle.

Does your old card work with the 120Hz screen?

i need your help please

This is what I have done so far

1 - creation of a usb key to install windows 10 with partition GPT and UEFI
2- I changed in the bios :
Boot list option -> UEFI.
Secure mode: disabled
Load legacy option rom: Enabled (I can not disable it with message "can not detect MXM card GOP driver")
3- save without exit
4- I replaced the 680m card with the 1060
5- When I boot I have 8 beeps

for the bios and vbios, I have a stock bios A11 and a vbios oc (which dates)

I'll try to help you with this, I had same kind of issue when upgrading to the 1070.

Problem here is you're not in full UEFI, so it won't work. You need to disable this Legacy mode in BIOS. You can do it only when booting with a GPU which vbios supports UEFI as I explained in my thread.

So I think you should start by installing unlocked BIOS, and then with the right settings you will be able to disable legacy mode.

Install the unlocked BIOS, and post pictures of your BIOS settings for Advanced / Video and Boot options. We'll fix that.

thank you

i've made the  an USB drive so that it can boot DOS as explained in this thread 

i also downloaded the prr.exe and the fpt file wich containes flash.exe and m17xr4.bin.

That's what i did after

1-boot on usb drive

2-prr2.exe :

flashcheck by sv17 -techinfetno-

no protected ranges ser

3-flash.bat :

fpt.exe -f m17xr4.bin -bios

Bad command or file error 

What did i made wrong? 

Edited by decool

Everything is explained in the unlocked BIOs thread.

You setup the USB flash drive, you put all required files in it, and you boot with it.

You should have those files: fpt.exe fparts.txt prr2.exe flash.bat m17xr4.bin (unlocked bios file you want to flash)

This is what I still have on the USB key I used to flash my BIOS, and it worked fine.

Then you just launch prr.exe, and after you launch flash.bat .

Ok I'm missing the first 2 files 

The link provided for dl dos version of fpt is broken 

Can you put them in share please or send me the valide link where you found them

i found it 

Edited by decool

Ok unlocking bios done on A11

However i cant get the windows working :(

The load legacy option rom (LLOR) can't be disabled neither

Edit : windows is working now but no LLOR disable

Edited by decool

I was uploading files, but since you flashed you don't need it anymore.

You have 120 Hz screen, right?

OK so your problem now is your GPU doesn't have vbios with UEFI driver. This must be the issue which won't let you disable legacy mode.

Can you post pictures of your BIOS settings now?

here's the pictures 

78401320170520143304.jpg

33635220170520143324.jpg

50998320170520143349.jpg

90614120170520143359.jpg

Edited by decool

What are the settings in Advanced / Video configuration / Internal Graphic device ?

17 minutes ago, An0npl4y said:

What are the settings in Advanced / Video configuration / Internal Graphic device ?

20502920170520151502.jpg

From what I understand, your problem is that you set display to PEG, and your GPU doesn't have UEFI compliant drivers in its vbios. You need to set primary display to IGFX and reboot. Then, you'll use iGPU and you'll be able to disable legacy mode and reboot again. This is when you'll be able to set primary display back to PEG again. And you won't be able to reboot with this setting, that's when you'll put the 1060 in and successfully boot with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, An0npl4y said:

From what I understand, your problem is that you set display to PEG, and your GPU doesn't have UEFI compliant drivers in its vbios. You need to set primary display to IGFX and reboot. Then, you'll use iGPU and you'll be able to disable legacy mode and reboot again. This is when you'll be able to set primary display back to PEG again. And you won't be able to reboot with this setting, that's when you'll put the 1060 in and successfully boot with it.

It worked as you said, thanks man you are a savior.

So to make it work, i changed the peg to igfx then change uefi and disable legacy after then go back to peg (i didn't need to save or reboot for that to work)

However I cant install windows 10 on uefi, it tells me that i need a gpt partition.

I don't understand, i made a usb drive boot with uefi and gpt. Why can't i install that ?

OK nice, there you go :D

GPT is another problem. You must format your HDD so it has GPT partition, for example using diskpart:

diskpart
list disk
select disk <disk number>
clean
convert gpt
exit

A little search with your GPT error message will give you a fix for this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes i just did that and now i'm on windows 

I have the ssd drive on which i installed windows and a second hard drive with mbr partition for my games.

However, that one doesn't appear :(

Edited by decool

It should not be a problem. Can't you see it in disk management?

Share your first Firestrike bench with us :D

Yes i see it but i'm unable to access it

Is there a way to copy all the data on an external hard drive using cmd commands?

Edited by decool

Yes all windows updates done 

There is also 3 unkowen devices in device manager (nvidia stereo controller + 2 unkowen devices) that i need to search the drivers.

What drivers fo i need to install please?

Edited by decool

The 1060 should appear as Microsoft basic display in device manager. This is where you have to install driver with modded inf.