eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I own a HP ProBook 4530s (i5 2430m,6GB ram) with expresscard 34 slot.I want to play GTA 5(coming in march :tears_of_joy:) on my lapotp,so wich egpu adapter should i buy?Wich is better - Pe4l 2.1(62$+10$ shipping) or EXP GDC Beast (53$ and free shipping).I know that with the Pe4l i can use my internal display using nvidia optimus driver,but can i use my internal display with the EXP GDC Beast adapter?I am going to use Nvidia 560 ti.

Hi nando,

The notebook in question doesn't have dGPU, only Intel GMA 4500M. We already tried 306.97 but still same issue. Also using DDU to uninstall drivers.

intel Pentium T4400 (2.2GHz, 800MHz FSB)

Chipset ICH9M

Bios is InsydeH20 Rev 3.5 V2.06

Intel GMA 4500M only

8GB DDR3 (4GB x 2pcs)

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

eGPU used:

PE4L v2.1b with PM3N mPCIe

Asus GT640 DDR5 1GB (choose this coz low power draw only 70+w)

Power Supply is 12V 7A 84W DC connector with D.i.Y step down module to let it draw the 5v to 3.3v and connect with floopy molex

Also Tested with ATX power supply

Both Nvidia control panel & ASUS GPU Tweak unable to detect the device even though both Device Manager & GPU-Z detected eGPU. One more symptom, when trying to connect external monitor to eGPU, system black screen/crashed/BSOD.

Connect up an ATX PSU and re-test. Suspect power issues. Also test mPCIe connection by booting with wifi card and hotswapping in PM3N.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys,

Ive got a strange situation which I cannot explain. My setup is a Gigabyte U2442V with a GT640m dGPU and a HD4000 iGPU. 3rd gen i7 with HM77 chipset.Windows 8.1 64bit. Im using a pci-e exp gdc beast with a dell da-2 to power a GTX 680. I have been able to get the system running in windows without any issues, Ive played a few games and have no issues at all. Through the bios I am able to disable the dGPU so that windows only sees the iGPU and the eGPU.

My problem is with the initial startup. When I first cold boot my system it immediately powers down, you can hear the hard drive make a noise as it immediately turns off from a high spin rate. It then shows the post screen on the laptop display. I now have to enable the dGPU and save changes and restart. It then restarts all by itself, powering down and making the same hard drive noise again. It shows the post screen and I go into the bios and turn the dGPU off, save and restart. This time it does not suddenly power off and there is no hard drive noise. It reboots without cutting the power off with the eGPU working. This procedure works every time and does not appear to be related to a time delay of any kind.

I have installed Setup 1.30. Before I installed Setup 1.30 rebooting, shutting down(fastboot) and shutting down(normally) would mean that I would have to repeat the above procedure. Now it would turn on as normal from a shutdown or restart.Also sleep did not use to work, waking from sleep with the eGPU would result in a BSOD. Sleep works now.

But if I shutdown or try to wake from a sleep after a few hours, even if everything was left plugged in, it would result in having to repeat my bios procedure above. Also waking from sleep would BSOD just like before I installed Setup 1.30.

Finally Setup 1.30 can only see my eGPU once I do my bios procedure above. I have tried saving and restoring ports but it doesn't seem to work. Also hotplugging, (removing the hdmi end of the pcie to hdmi cable and reconnecting), in Setup 1.30 or F8 windows halt does not work. The only way I have gotten it to work is with my bios procedure but using it this way would mean that i need to leave my laptop on all the time or have to deal with hard drive damage due to the sudden power offs that my procedure results in.

I was able to get my Sony VAIO VPCF111FX to do a successful DSDT override, now I have a menu item in device manager that says I have "large memory" when I go to connection by memory. My issue is that every time I connect the eGPU (GTX 760), my computer keeps wanting to re-install the iGPU (310m). Then I end up with code 12 all the time. Ive tried pressing f8 and waiting in boot menu, plugging it in and then starting windows. Nothing.

One time I was able to install the driver of another card onto the laptop and it was able to read the card and I messed around with clock speeds but after a few more tests my computer shut off and I was back to code 12.

I've tried turning off automatic updates, and I think I will try Setup 1.3 soon but if I've already got the large memory showing up, so I don't want to spend money on something I may not need. Unless there is some crucial part that I am missing from Setup 1.3 that may be a game changer for me, otherwise I hope I can do without.

What if I install Ubuntu, may this solve my problem since its OS does not have memory issues? I saw in the code 12 section that Linux does not have this problem.

Edit*

should I look into finding drivers for my Intel dGPU or will that not yeild any good results?

Igpu is intel card, dgpu is 310m

Try to uninstall all nvidia software using ddu, keep intel there. After secesfull uninstal disable 310m in device manager and then try to connect egpu.

If that dosent work you will have to disable dgpu prior to loading windows using egpu setup.

I bought some time ago a fractal design node 605 so I dont want to buy a enclosure, and since Ill watercool my Egpu there is no place in any thunderbolt enclosure.

But the issue is , I cant find only like the thunderbolt to pci-e connection on hwtool or other website.

Any solution ?

ok thanks, ill guess ill just wait a bit more.

Just for information, I would like to use my enclosure as a external storage device as well. I see that you can daisy-chain device with the akitio . would it be possible to use for the eGpu and 2 drive ?

Hello everyone, I've

MSI GE-60

I7 4700hq HM86

8 Ram

igpu 4600hd

dgpu Gtx 860m 2gb

egpu PHANTOM Gtx 970 4gb

PE4c 2.1 (mpcie)

Power SUpplY 550w

and I've a problem with fps in the games:

they're not stable, they get down from 50fps to 10fps, then return to 50. I don't know why,

Perhaps If I connect another mpcie x2 cable, will I solve the problem?

hello,

i've got

toshiba satellite l50-a-1c7

i7-4700mq

8g ram

igpu intel hd 4600

dgpu 740m

i would like to add a gtx 960 on a PE4C 2.1.

Will this work on my laptop and if it does will there be a bottleneck?

[h=1][/h]

Hi!

I just opened my Asus Zenbook Infinity (UX301LA) from late 2013 to investigate the eGPU possibilities. I found two M.2 (SATA) slots for SSD an one M.2 slot for Wifi/Bluetooth (Intel 7260NGW, see picture).

post-32623-14494999236812_thumb.jpg

Do you think it is possible to replace the Intel card with an eGPU solution? If so, do you have a setup to recommend?

HWiNFO64 tells me it is a 1x 2.0 link (see image), so I guess 5 Gb/s is maximum.

jZBpatr.png

Hardware

- Asus Zenbook Infinity (UX301LA)

- Intel Lynx Point-LP

- Intel Core i7-4558U

BR,

Kristoffer

Hello guys? I'm here to inform you that I am already preparing my eGPU and the items have already been purchased, the PSU is already with me, just missing the eGPU plate. When she gets home I'm doing unboxing and showing the images of her here on the Forum. Hugs!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi!

I just opened my Asus Zenbook Infinity (UX301LA) from late 2013 to investigate the eGPU possibilities. I found two M.2 (SATA) slots for SSD an one M.2 slot for Wifi/Bluetooth (Intel 7260NGW, see picture).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13783[/ATTACH]

Do you think it is possible to replace the Intel card with an eGPU solution? If so, do you have a setup to recommend?

HWiNFO64 tells me it is a 1x 2.0 link (see image), so I guess 5 Gb/s is maximum.

jZBpatr.png

Hardware

- Asus Zenbook Infinity (UX301LA)

- Intel Lynx Point-LP

- Intel Core i7-4558U

BR,

Kristoffer

Yes mate, if I'm not mistaken this is the input PCIe, however you will have to buy a usb wifi adapter to use the internet (if you use wifi), once the eGPU is being used in this slot.

Hugs!

is A gpu bottlenecked by the 1 x 2.0 link?

It will be, the question is how much. A desktop pcie x16 2.0 link has a raw data speed to the GPU of ~6000MB/s. With the x1 2.0 you will get ~400MB/s. Developers try to minimize the load of the link, that is why you will get ~80% of desktop performance.

However, it looks that you have no express card slot, so you will have to disassemble the notebook to use the eGPU over a mpcie link.

Can I make one of these and have it route to my monitor instead of looping back into the laptop display?

Will this be harder, easier, more or less cost-effective?

Is my laptop even compatible with this?

Any insight will be appreciated! Have a nice day :)

Hello, first off, I am new to these forums so please forgive any mistakes that I make.

I currently finished a DIY eGPU setup, but am having trouble getting my gpu to go under full load. I have a Dell Studio 1558 with an intel i5 520m and ATI 5470 mobility radeon HD 1024MB running Windows 7 x64. For the eGPU I have a PE4L v2.1b-EC2C adapter, 500w EVGA 80+ bronze PSU, Nvidia Geforce 9600gt sc, and an E-Machine 16:10 1440x900 monitor. I have an adapter on my 9600gt sc to convert the DVI to VGA for the monitor (this monitor only supports VGA).

Now that specs are out of the way I can proceed with the problem.

Everything works in my setup. I have the latest drivers on both my ati 5470m and nvidia 9600gt sc. I can hot plug my egpu into my express card slot and it will be recognized with no error codes in the device manager. I can disable my ati 5470m within device manager and then the laptop screen will go black and only my monitor will be displaying an image. Now when I play a game (I'll use Minecraft for example) I get about a quarter of the fps that I'd get on my ati 5470m. Upon inspection in MSI Afterburner, the nvidia 9600gt sc will only go up to 6% load when playing a game. When playing a game on my dGPU the load goes up to 90%+ (this is when the eGPU is off and I'm playing games on the laptop alone).

Now I've explored a couple of other forums with people using a nvidia 9600gt in their build and their performance is much better than what I am receiving.

As far as I can tell in the bios there are little to no options for changing things other than date/time or enabling the wifi card (certainly no overclocking or graphics switching/disabling). I've triple checked all of my connections on my eGPU. I do not have Optimus installed nor the eGPU setup 1.x (which I still don't understand). I understand that in order to have Optimus you have switchable graphics and I know for a fact that my i5 520m has onboard graphics. However, according to other forums regarding this on a Dell Studio 1558, it's not possible to have switchable graphics because the dGPU is hard mounted to the motherboard. I'm no sure if there is anyway to enable, but I'm willing to try anything.

Now I could really use some help or any advice to lead me in the right direction as I have hit a dead end.

I'll mention that with my Dell E6440, a EXP GDC V6 + GTX770 card will glitch in Gen2 mode with a "NVidia driver has stopped responding" error. Using a PE4C V2.1 or PE4L 2.1b resolving the issue. PE4L 2.1b is recommended if you want the absolute best possible signal integrity. That's because it uses a soldered cable rather than a socketted one.

I have same problem: if generation is set to "Auto" in BIOS - I have "NVidia driver has stopped responding" somethimes; if generation is set to "Gen1" - no glitch, but small bandwidth.

So, setting "Link speed" to Gen2 using Setup 1.30 or using another video card will not help me?

Maybe someone can confirm working EXP GDC in Gen2 and post configuration (notebook model, PSU, video card, ...)?

I have same problem: if generation is set to "Auto" in BIOS - I have "NVidia driver has stopped responding" somethimes; if generation is set to "Gen1" - no glitch, but small bandwidth.

So, setting "Link speed" to Gen2 using Setup 1.30 or using another video card will not help me?

Maybe someone can confirm working EXP GDC in Gen2 and post configuration (notebook model, PSU, video card, ...)?

I'm having similar problems just with the exception that I wouldn't say that the crashes happen sometimes but actually quite frequently (once / twice per CSGo game). Switching to gen1 solves it but then bandwidth problem arises.

EXP GDC Beast, NVidia 560Ti, Dell 220W brick.

Actually thinking about buying PE4C V2.1...

Exp gdc was working fine with dell precision m6800 and latitude e5430 in gen2 using gtx980 and 760 using antec 750 psu and dell power brick

Hello guys,

I am having some difficulties with the exp gdc v7.0 graphics adapter.

I managed to install the video card drivers and they seem to work properly and my system even detects the monitor that is connected to the egpu.

But when I try to switch to the Display that is connected to my egpu my display wakes up but instead of showing my desktop it only shows a textbox with (No signal) and then goes to sleep again.

I have read on another forum that this is the result of video cable or an insufficient power supply. But ive already tried several cables and as far as I know my power supply is quite beefy.

System:

Windows 8.1

Hp-ZbooK15

Processor: Intel core i&-4700MQ

Ram: 8gb

Igpu:Intel HD 4600

dgpu:Nvidia Quadro K610M

I use the Club Radeon HD 7950 as my egpu and the corsair CX750 as my psu
\

Does anyone have suggestions?
post-32695-14494999260049_thumb.png

post-32695-14494999260383_thumb.png

I'm new to the whole eGPU stuff. I recently bought a EXP GDC Beast for my laptop.

Now I have it all connected and all working. But I still have 1 question and cannot seem to find anything on it specifically. Is it possible to still use the Nvidia dGpu for the LCD monitor of my laptop and the AMD eGpu for the external monitor? Currently only my Intel HD graphics is driving the LCD and when I open the Nvidia control panel I get an error saying I need to connect a monitor to the gpu. All Gpu's are enabled in device manager and MSI afterburner also recognizes them all.

Specs:

Acer aspire V3-771G

Intel i5 3210m

iGpu: HD 4000

dGpu: GT 650m

eGpu: HD 6850, connected with a EXP GDC Beast and according to Gpu-Z and CCC a 1x 2.0 link.

Thanks in advance for an answer.

(sorry for any spelling mistakes, English is not my first language)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.