eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

apparently it says i got error 43

it could be a problema of memory allocation.if you got x1.setup make a compaction on egpu.if you don"t have x1.setup try making a dsdt override.in my case in a Fujitsu siemens amilo pi i have to make both due the high tolud.maybe you need to do the same in order to have en egpu functional.the gtx 650 need contigous 250mb space to acomódate it.this card unlike others is a litlle hard to acomódate if you have high tolud.

Maybe this one can be useful http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#error43_faq1

I'm absolutely not a geek so my best is to report first hand process or others solutions!

it could be a problema of memory allocation.if you got x1.setup make a compaction on egpu.if you don"t have x1.setup try making a dsdt override.in my case in a Fujitsu siemens amilo pi i have to make both due the high tolud.maybe you need to do the same in order to have en egpu functional.the gtx 650 need contigous 250mb space to acomódate it.this card unlike others is a litlle hard to acomódate if you have high tolud.

omg it works, thanks guys. so basically it was a dud card. I swapped it out with a brand new 660 and it works fine :) but i have to go through configuring everything in egpu setup D: is there a way to save the configuration so i dont need to configure it every single time?

omg it works, thanks guys. so basically it was a dud card. I swapped it out with a brand new 660 and it works fine :) but i have to go through configuring everything in egpu setup D: is there a way to save the configuration so i dont need to configure it every single time?

yes.use startup.bat-edit option and save your actual (working one) configuration and then simply use automatic start-up.bat when x1.setup starts wich is the first one option on the menú.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so I posted a while back about my plan to get a eGPU and with the release of the 970 I went for it. My system:

HP ZBook 15 - i7-4700 MQ, Quadro K2100M, TB1

GigaByte GTX 970

Akitio Thunder2

Corsair RM550

Powered 16x -> 16X riser

A Molex powered plug for the Akitio (since an electrical engineer on here suggested that)

So at this point Windows recognises a GTX 970 in Device Manager, GPUz can read information from it (like the manufacturer and BIOS), however, NVidia Control Panel, setting up an extra monitor and the GeForce software won't recognise it. I have an external monitor connected to the GPU. I've tried disabling the Intel HD4600, I've tried installing the drivers a couple of times, disabling the K2100M in the Device Manager (although I have not found an option to disable it entirely so it won't show up).

Are there any suggestions, since I'm stuck at this point?

Okay, so I posted a while back about my plan to get a eGPU and with the release of the 970 I went for it. My system:

GigaByte GTX 970

Akitio Thunder2

Corsair RM550

Powered 16x -> 16X riser

A Molex powered plug for the Akitio (since an electrical engineer on here suggested that)

So at this point Windows recognises a GTX 970 in Device Manager, GPUz can read information from it (like the manufacturer and BIOS), however, NVidia Control Panel, setting up an extra monitor and the GeForce software won't recognise it. I have an external monitor connected to the GPU. I've tried disabling the Intel HD4600, I've tried installing the drivers a couple of times, disabling the K2100M in the Device Manager (although I have not found an option to disable it entirely so it won't show up).

clean unninstall with ddu.maybe driver incompatibilty issue.the point is to install the gtx 970 driver without seeing the quadro card.you have to disable it with x1.setup since is the dgpu.

yes.use startup.bat-edit option and save your actual (working one) configuration and then simply use automatic start-up.bat when x1.setup starts wich is the first one option on the menú.

thanks man, can you be a bit more specific, it came up with this blue cmd like screen D: it was very intimidating ahahah

Result after try:

- USB stick installation cannot detect eGPU -> pass pci compaction (disk image also pass in case unplug eGPU)

- After trying disable some device in Device Manager such as Intel HD, Sound...suddenly pass error 12.

Optimus Nvidia worked, but seem not at good performance. <1000 point FurMark.

Wish your helps with many thanks, nando !

- - - Updated - - -

Result after try:

- USB stick installation cannot detect eGPU -> pass pci compaction (disk image also pass in case unplug eGPU)

- After trying disable some device in Device Manager such as Intel HD, Sound...suddenly pass error 12.

Optimus Nvidia worked, but seem not at good performance. <1000 point FurMark.

Wish your helps with many thanks, nando !

thanks man, can you be a bit more specific, it came up with this blue cmd like screen D: it was very intimidating ahahah

ok.the first you have to do is enter in the menú-based of x1.setup.once there you have to find the right configuration:compactation and other posible configurations you may need in order to make egpu functional.once you find the right setup(first you have to test it) you will see that it remains in the start-up bat.área from the right side of the screen.Then go to start-up.bat option from the list of the menú and choose edit.once there you must scroll-down page and you will find your configuration at the bottom of the page.suposing that is the right one click on the first option from the up-menú of the page and you will see a save option.that means that you will save your config.in order to be use like an automatic start.up.bat.once you save it,click exit and you will return to the start .bat option.there click test run and you will see if is a valid setup for beeing added as a automatic start.up.once do all that just choose Automatic start.up.bat from first menú when x.1setup boot-up.let me khnow if you make it.good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

GigaByte GTX 970

Akitio Thunder2

Corsair RM550

Powered 16x -> 16X riser

In device manager, does it report that your GTX 970 works properly?

IFqd8rR.png

ok.the first you have to do is enter in the menú-based of x1.setup.once there you have to find the right configuration:compactation and other posible configurations you may need in order to make egpu functional.once you find the right setup(first you have to test it) you will see that it remains in the start-up bat.área from the right side of the screen.Then go to start-up.bat option from the list of the menú and choose edit.once there you must scroll-down page and you will find your configuration at the bottom of the page.suposing that is the right one click on the first option from the up-menú of the page and you will see a save option.that means that you will save your config.in order to be use like an automatic start.up.bat.once you save it,click exit and you will return to the start .bat option.there click test run and you will see if is a valid setup for beeing added as a automatic start.up.once do all that just choose Automatic start.up.bat from first menú when x.1setup boot-up.let me khnow if you make it.good luck!

Thanks so much man, everything is all good now :) also for people getting the metal enclosure for the exp gdc v7, its good but you need to bend it into shape :P and also they only gave me 5 screws... But its alright, i found some more from a broken pc. The enclosure isnt that fashionable, looking to paint it soon. Also its insanely heavy! Other than that its pretty average. Also you can add a fan to increase airflow, which is nice. One more thing, the exp gdc v7 gives you an extention cable for extending the power to your graphics card, but you should need it. Let me know if you want pics, i can upload them if you like.

Thanks so much man, everything is all good now :) also for people getting the metal enclosure for the exp gdc v7, its good but you need to bend it into shape :P and also they only gave me 5 screws... But its alright, i found some more from a broken pc. The enclosure isnt that fashionable, looking to paint it soon. Also its insanely heavy! Other than that its pretty average. Also you can add a fan to increase airflow, which is nice. One more thing, the exp gdc v7 gives you an extention cable for extending the power to your graphics card, but you should need it. Let me know if you want pics, i can upload them if you like.

you are wellcome!it will be nice to make some benckmark and post it.by the way what are the spec of you laptop?some pictures of you egpu enclosure and adapter it help to make an better idea.thanks!

Wait whaat, you have the metal enclosure now?

A lot of pics pleaseeeeee :P

thanks for the pictures!.you have an x1.2 optimus cabapable system.you should see a big increase of performance in dx9 apllications by dissabling the dgpu.when have time ,please make some dx9 -dx11 benchmarks.is not looking bad at all.when you take out the atx psu will have a more portabilty

Hi!

I recently set up my old ASUS F3Sr laptop with a Nvidia GTX 460 through a PCIe-adapter and it works relatively well with an external monitor. What I would like though is for it to work with the internal screen if possible. The laptop has an integrated ATI HD2400 which makes me wonder whether or not it will work with Setup 1.x. Do you have any experience with a setup like that? There is no internal intel gpu, only ATI.

Oh, I also had to remove 2 GB of RAM, I'm guessing that I will have to live with the lower amount even with a working Setup 1.x?

Thanks in advance!

regarding more tan 2gb issue you can do a dsdt override.NOW to work with the internal screen you need to have an Intel hd integrated ghrapics to active optimus.i sugeest try sell your laptop and buy one at least with second generation icore.

In device manager, does it report that your GTX 970 works properly?

It does. Although it might be because I'm not entire sure what the proper booting procedure is, so I sometimes have to turn it on and off through the device manager to get it to show "This device is working properly."

Also, I've found that the driver has some list with devices it works with, so I guess I should try taking out the K2100M in that list and see how that works. Not really keen on having to use setup 1.30.

@coyote I have the Setup1.30. I tried all the options, but the GTX 660 just won't work properly on external display at x1.2Opt, maybe the bandwidth isn't enough to make this happen? I'm considering to buy another GPU if it's hopeless to solve the problem.

can anyone help me out here?

i still cant get my GTX 660 to run... the last i did and it showed that the device was working properly in the device manager but the clock and all showed " 0 ", could someone help me out here? im trying to get it to run using the internal screen much appreciated.

@coyote I have the Setup1.30. I tried all the options, but the GTX 660 just won't work properly on external display at x1.2Opt, maybe the bandwidth isn't enough to make this happen? I'm considering to buy another GPU if it's hopeless to solve the problem.

I don't understand too :confusion:

Did you manage to get it working on the internal screen?

You have a Fujitsu AH532 right? I have the exact same laptop, and I used to have a GTX660 before upgrading to the 770.

I could play on both internal and external.

I'm sorry if you already explained, but could you clarify the issues you get?

I don't understand too :confusion:

Did you manage to get it working on the internal screen?

You have a Fujitsu AH532 right? I have the exact same laptop, and I used to have a GTX660 before upgrading to the 770.

I could play on both internal and external.

I'm sorry if you already explained, but could you clarify the issues you get?

Yes, I have got it working on the internal screen, I have also managed to working on the external screen, but not without problems. I enable Gen2 port in the setup 1.30, and when I get to the welcome screen, this is where the problem comes in. The display switch back and forth between internal and external screens, with the "an error when running Nvidia graphics driver" pop up appear. It does that repeatedly until BSOD shows up. How did you make it work on your laptop? Please help me out.

can anyone help me out here?

i still cant get my GTX 660 to run... the last i did and it showed that the device was working properly in the device manager but the clock and all showed " 0 ", could someone help me out here? im trying to get it to run using the internal screen much appreciated.

when you switch to internal screen,you put the prefered grapchics processor to nvidia in the nvidia control panel?

Is it possible to run an external GPU on a Macbook Pro with dedicated graphics (650M) on Windows 8.1 in BIOS mode? I'm thinking about testing my Akitio Thunder2 + 970 on our rMBP, while I wait for my G46VW Thunderbolt mobo to arrive. Also to see how it performs on TB2 vs TB1.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.