980M seems to be compatible with EM series

zhubonan

As of now only the cards bought from Mythlogic and Eurocom will work properly with your PxxEM systems as they decided to Partner up and join my early access program...all others will under perform by 20% on OCable driver (any other than 374), essentially turning your GTX980M into a GTX970M.

That's the reason an honest shop like rjtech won't offer you the cards directly for EM as they can't guarantee that they work as advertised under all conditions.

Brought mine from UpgradeMonkey (eBay), works fine and at 100% using standard clocks and driver 347.52

upgrademonkey1 | eBay

Each to their own..

cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

I've heard, but I may as well do everything right if I'm going to do it.

So I just need to flash in this bios:

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/p150em/

And then this one:

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/mxm-vbios/

And then I'm golden, right?

Flashing the system BIOS will help with CPU and memory performance, but I am not aware of it helping with the GPU. Flashing the video BIOS in the 2nd link should help noticeably by eliminating throttling.

Just received and mounting mine from eurocom. Everything was sweet, just use the good driver 347.12.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14179[/ATTACH]

3dmark firestike hits 7849, tomb raider reached 59.5 fps avg in ultimate and a max temp of 82°C are my first benchmarks...

Just received and mounting mine from eurocom. Everything was sweet, just use the good driver 347.12.

3dmark firestike hits 7849, tomb raider reached 59.5 fps avg in ultimate and a max temp of 82°C are my first benchmarks...

Did you tell EC that you want to order it for P170EM? You don't need to use 347 driver with the Mythlogic or Eurocom version, just let them send you the correct BIOS & vBIOS and you'll have full performance with any driver that also allows you to OC.

Of course I told them, there could be no misunderstanding on this, as GPU upgrades are sold for a specific laptop model.

I'll ask. Do you find this temperature as high anyway? I've seen on the OC topic that this card is supposed to have some margin here, and a stock config running at 82°C seems to have very few margin here.

Maybe I could directly flash it with the one found on your vbios topic?

Ok, so I've read through this entire thread and the sticky trying to understand everything possible, can someone confirm the following? I'd definitely love to be able to upgrade from the 680M I currently have to the 980M. I already have the Prema Mod v2 flashed in my P150EM, that's been there since last summer.

From the looks of it, if I order, it should be from Eurocom or Mythlogic because they are working with Prema which I assume means they have custom vBIOS's already flashed to the cards. If that's the case, I presume that means I shouldn't use the MXM vBIOS mod on Prema's website. I've seen the Eurocom upgrade video and from what I've read, with these cards bought from these resellers, it is purely plug and play and just install any driver. The BIOS won't recognize the card but Windows should since they don't require a modded inf file.

That's correct. The Mod BIOS recognizes the card as nVIDIA, no inf mods required and full performance with any driver as well as being fully OCable (on non 374.xx driver).

Ok, so I've read through this entire thread and the sticky trying to understand everything possible, can someone confirm the following? I'd definitely love to be able to upgrade from the 680M I currently have to the 980M. I already have the Prema Mod v2 flashed in my P150EM, that's been there since last summer.

From the looks of it, if I order, it should be from Eurocom or Mythlogic because they are working with Prema which I assume means they have custom vBIOS's already flashed to the cards. If that's the case, I presume that means I shouldn't use the MXM vBIOS mod on Prema's website. I've seen the Eurocom upgrade video and from what I've read, with these cards bought from these resellers, it is purely plug and play and just install any driver. The BIOS won't recognize the card but Windows should since they don't require a modded inf file.

Well, now I'm confused. So if I were to flash a 980m myself using the MXM vBIOS listed on Prema's site I would get less performance/driver issues than if I had bought direct from Eurocom/Mythlogic? I just assumed that these companies had pre-flashed the cards with the same MXM vBIOS as the website...

No worries, the my public vBIOS Mod can be already used. These companies send their cards pre-flashed with their own version, which they cover by warranty.

Apart from that they also have a system BIOS Mod for their customer, which hasn't been released to public yet.

Well in my case they didn't flash anything... I'm still waiting for eurocom support to come back on this. Anyway the card is working well.

Informed them yesterday, somebody in the team must have spaced it....anyway you should get it today. :)

OK guys,

so I've flashed in prema's bios AND the 980 vbios.

What should my next step be?

The bios shows no card, what's up with that?

IrWrb97.jpg

The flashing went fine as you can see:

Before

qghNt6O.jpg

After

BPoU5WR.jpg

Should I be applying a driver now?