US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Just a warning, I bought this cable and the tip was too narrow. They look similar so just a heads up.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey @Dschijn was your drive Core Storage or HFS+ when you installed the efi patch? I'd rather use HFS+ so I can access my files, but I think installing the patch might fail.

Damn, thanks for your heads up. they look very similar indeed.

I know People have mentioned Radioshack etc, but i really need to find a barrel molex adapter that Works. Since i live in a part of the world where Radioshack or any other hardware stores dont exist.

So, if someone know a cable that Works 100%, please let me know :) Pref ebay or a website that ships to EU.

Found this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pin-Male-Molex-connector-To-DC-male-connector-/231044887235?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cb5932c3 (but again have no idea)

I guess if the one i ordered wont fit, i will just order a powered riser, but that really doesnt fit with my build, since my plan was to use a galax card that fits inside the akitio enclosure.

Damn, thanks for your heads up. they look very similar indeed.

I know People have mentioned Radioshack etc, but i really need to find a barrel molex adapter that Works. Since i live in a part of the world where Radioshack or any other hardware stores dont exist.

So, if someone know a cable that Works 100%, please let me know :) Pref ebay or a website that ships to EU.

Found this; 4pin Male Molex Connector to DC Male Connector | eBay (but again have no idea)

I guess if the one i ordered wont fit, i will just order a powered riser, but that really doesnt fit with my build, since my plan was to use a galax card that fits inside the akitio enclosure.

Get yourself one of these -> Delock Adapter DC 2,5 x 5,5 mm Stecker Terminalblock # 65487 | eBay

And get yourself a 4 pin molex y splitter -> DeLock Y Kabel Stromversorgung 2x Molex 4 Pin 82100 | eBay

You'd then cut off the 2 female molex connectors on the left and use the two resulting yellow and black cables wired up together to connect to your 2.5mmx5.5mm terminal block. You'd either remove the second black and the red bunch of cables or insulate their then open ends. You could also only cut the yellow and black cables you need but then you'd have the useless female connectors hanging around.

The trader delivers to the EU and is delivering from Germany. I don't know where you live but this should do it. And it's cheap.

I've got this working the way I described it. Only the 4 pin molex was already at hand from another powered riser.

I had a similar experience to others: bought screw-terminal (no-solder) barrel plugs on eBay and when they arrived, even though they were the correct spec, they didn't fit as the centre pin of the AKiTiO did not fit into the barrel plug.

I recommend just chopping the plug off the original AKiTiO PSU (assuming you're modifying the AKiTiO anyway) and wiring that up to your ATX PSU!

No. What I linked works. I'm using it right here in the moment and I've bought it from the trader I've linked. I'm using this for months now. I taped my powered riser so it doesn't power the TB board anymore. If there was anything wrong it wouldn't work.

"No."?

I think you misunderstood me: I was suggesting a method that uses what an ATiKiO owner already has, rather than having to buy anything, that's all. I'm sure your method works just great :P

Get yourself one of these -> Delock Adapter DC 2,5 x 5,5 mm Stecker Terminalblock # 65487 | eBay

And get yourself a 4 pin molex y splitter -> DeLock Y Kabel Stromversorgung 2x Molex 4 Pin 82100 | eBay

You'd then cut off the 2 female molex connectors on the left and use the two resulting yellow and black cables wired up together to connect to your 2.5mmx5.5mm terminal block. You'd either remove the second black and the red bunch of cables or insulate their then open ends. You could also only cut the yellow and black cables you need but then you'd have the useless female connectors hanging around.

The trader delivers to the EU and is delivering from Germany. I don't know where you live but this should do it. And it's cheap.

I've got this working the way I described it. Only the 4 pin molex was already at hand from another powered riser.

Thanks alot Morv.

If i understand correctly i cut off the molex female adapters (two). And use two yellow wires and two black wires into the dc adapter. Do i twin them together, if you understand.

So that i use two yellow wires together into + on the dc connector

and two black wires into - on the dc connector.

My question then is why do i need to use two cables, cant i use a single molex wire, not with two blacks and yellow, so that i have 1 black and yellow cable into the dc's (- and +). Sorry for asking if this is very basic, im just clueless about stuff like this.

@henrikhoe: Molex plugs are oldschool and haven't been invented to provide high power. If you would use just one molex plug and the AKiTiO + GPU draw up to 10W+75W that plug might be the weakest spot and melt. But that is just the worst case szenario!

To stay save you should use two molex plugs, like 2xMolex -> 1x6-Pin PCIe plugs do.

Imho… Molex is so bad that it should be banned! That plug is bothering me since I started working on PCs 20 years ago.

Thanks Dschijn. Yeah ur right, i have seen molex to pci-e 6pin before, and they indeed use two molex connectors.

Delock Adapter DC 2 5 x 5 5 mm Male Terminal Block 2 Pin Pitch 5 0 Mm | eBay

The .de ebay link didnt sent to Norway, found this in ireland with the same itemnumber (65487)

Also found a molex 4pin ysplitter here in Norway.

So i guess im good then

Hi - Has anyone here successfully used boot-camp /w windows 8.1 + the Akitio Thunder 2 pcie as a eGPU ?

I'm fairly new to this, and I was kind of scared off as the Akitio webpage said they do not support / help with bootcamp.

That is exactly the way I use my setup :D

I think I will give this a chance, I'm just a bit afraid that my i5 2.6 might bottleneck? it's the i5 4278U.

I have a 660ti spare lying around, but I kinda want to try the 960.

Edit - Just bought a Akitio from Macconnect in Germany via. Amazon, does the box come with a thunderbolt cable ?

Hello lads!

So I've just ordered a Thunder 2 box from Akitio, and I'm looking forward to this!

It's going to be accompanied by my MBPr 13 i5-4278U.

- Wishes!

I want to keep the Akitio box "intact" as much as possible.

So I think I will have to use a GTX 960 or 970 in a ITX design.

At the moment do I have a GTX 660TI MSI OC PE lying around, but I think it will to big for the enclosure.

-Questions

How will i go on powering the GFX in the Akitio, without using the powered PCIe bridge ?

Is there any way I can mod box, either via. a high amp 12v in, and power all through PCI bridge, or is that only able via. gtx 750ti ?

I have a spare new CX430M PSY lying around I could try and mod - but I'm fairly confused on how to fix this.

Would I be able to power the Akitio with 12v from the PSU, and thereby only needing 1 outlet cable for the hole setup?.

In advance - thanks!

--------

EDIT - Wow could the admin soon start moving my threads in here ? I wrote a long post, however could not post due to deleted topic.

Okay semi planning started !

Tell me if I'm way off here.

This is the PSU I intend to use - It's cheap and I have no use for it.

I assume that this is a single rail, which could provide enough power for the Akitio and a GTX970?

post-35805-14495000036299_thumb.jpg

I have a plan that i will remove the 24 pin total, and wire green and black together inside the PSU ( thereby keeping in on when it's plugged in ).

post-35805-14495000037178_thumb.jpg

post-35805-14495000038058_thumb.jpg

So would it be an idea to power the Akitio box from the 4+4 pin CPU port, and the GFX of the single 6+2 pci-e ?

Thereby keeping it all in a single rail, and a single ground connection.

Tell me if I am totally of here!

Okay semi planning started !

Tell me if I'm way off here.

This is the PSU I intend to use - It's cheap and I have no use for it.

I assume that this is a single rail, which could provide enough power for the Akitio and a GTX970?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14891[/ATTACH]

I have a plan that i will remove the 24 pin total, and wire green and black together inside the PSU ( thereby keeping in on when it's plugged in ).

So would it be an idea to power the Akitio box from the 4+4 pin CPU port, and the GFX of the single 6+2 pci-e ?

Thereby keeping it all in a single rail, and a single ground connection.

Tell me if I am totally of here!

Good PSU and a decent plan but if you are after a more modular configuration then suggest offloading your PSU while it's unmodified and getting a 220W Dell DA-2 instead?

Myself and Dschjin both confirming a Dell DA-2 can power a GTX970, even when overclocked: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9821-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bdschijn-2%5D.html#post131966

@w4vz just posting a very convenient way of tapping off the 8-pin Dell DA-2 connector using 2x PCIe splitter cables: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion-4.html#post132979

Good PSU and a decent plan but if you are after a more modular configuration then suggest offloading your PSU while it's unmodified and getting a 220W Dell DA-2 instead?

Myself and Dschjin both confirming a Dell DA-2 can power a GTX970, even when overclocked: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9821-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bdschijn-2%5D.html#post131966

@w4vz just posting a very convenient way of tapping off the 8-pin Dell DA-2 connector using 2x PCIe splitter cables: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion-4.html#post132979

I've looked into it - and I honestly like the idea way more than having a big psu brick on the side.

However I was scared of when I saw the soldering on the switch, and would be afraid to short out something.

Were you able to hide the 24pin board inside the AkiTio ?

EDIT. The way @w4vz showed, seems quiet nice, and compact enough to hide inside the case.

@ba10s118:

You can use the CX430M as it has a 6+2-Pin PCIe connector, which can be used a 6-Pin or 8-Pin (6+2=8). You can take the 6+2 and connect a 8-Pin -> 2x6-Pin PCIe cable or a 6-Pin y-cable, like this: PCI e 6 pin Male to Dual 6 pin Female Power Y cable PCIe 6pin 2x6pin Splitter-in Other Computer Products from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

To power the AKiTiO you need a Molex to barrel plug cable with the barrel beeing 2.5 & 5.5mm: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-PSU-power-adapter-cable-connector-4-pin-MOLEX-to-12V-DC-2-5mm-x-5-5mm-barrel-/121538060954

I've looked into it - and I honestly like the idea way more than having a big psu brick on the side.

However I was scared of when I saw the soldering on the switch, and would be afraid to short out something.

Were you able to hide the 24pin board inside the AkiTio ?

EDIT. The way @w4vz showed, seems quiet nice, and compact enough to hide inside the case.

My mod involved soldering parts I had on hand: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html#post127735 .

@w4vz posting his after what I did using more readily available PCIe splitters that just plug and play together.

Your only remaining issue will then getting a DC barrel end out, which is simple enough to do by cutting off say two yellow and one black lead from the third unneeded PCIe end and attaching them to a non-solder variant of a DC barrel connector shown at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html#post113069

The AKiTiO has lots of room on it's base to accomodate cabling. However, keep in mind if intending to put the AKiTiO outer cover on then you'll need low profile PCIe connectors to give clearance like shown/discussed at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9951-low-profile-pcie-connectors-discussion.html#post130496

My mod involved soldering parts I had on hand: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html#post127735 .

@w4vz posting his after what I did using more readily available PCIe splitters that just plug and play together.

Your only remaining issue will then getting a DC barrel end out, which is simple enough to do by cutting off say two yellow and one black lead from the third unneeded PCIe end and attaching them to a non-solder variant of a DC barrel connector shown at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html#post113069

The AKiTiO has lots of room on it's base to accomodate cabling. However, keep in mind if intending to put the AKiTiO outer cover on then you'll need low profile PCIe connectors to give clearance like shown/discussed at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9951-low-profile-pcie-connectors-discussion.html#post130496

Cool! Thanks for clarifying that!

Yes I do intend that the lid shall be on, as I do not want a eye-soar!

Hope that it is a 2.5 / 5.5mm one :D

You might have to cut down the 6-Pin plastic frame a bit that connects to the GPU to be able to close the AKiTiO. Or you consider getting the 90° 6-Pin cables that @Tech Inferno Fan linked.

I actually bought 2 types :) a long and a short one :P just to be safe.

Yes I saw that - but I don't mind a bit modding that wont effect the aesthetics.

Now I just need to find a galaxy gtx970 :P Honesly don't want to buy a new one, as you well must know the hard hammer of EU prices :P

I actually bought 2 types :) a long and a short one :P just to be safe.

Yes I saw that - but I don't mind a bit modding that wont effect the aesthetics.

Now I just need to find a galaxy gtx970 :P Honesly don't want to buy a new one, as you well must know the hard hammer of EU prices :P

There are other short dual-fan small GTX970 cards listed at the bottom http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html#post98210 by Zotac, Inno3D, ELSA, Leadertek. The GALAX being the shortest card that can fit the AKiTiO without any modifications - don't need to remove it's fan shroud or the AKITiO fan. These others may need removal of either or both to fit.

I know @jacobsson acquired a Zotac card, he's in Sweden and is cost conscious so maybe that's another one that can be had for low EU?

Though I will say the GALAX has an impressive 200W+ (up to) 25% TDP vbios power limit which is why@ Dschijn's card (+ improved cooling fans) sees it performing on par with my larger MSI GTX970 4G gaming card. It can even be overclocked to about the same level. That's pushing the boundary for highest performance in the smallest size.

If I was getting a small card then I'd follow Dschijn's lead and get that GALAX.

• Thumbs Up 2