US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Inertia to get an excellent US$200 AKiTiO Thunder2 deal for DIY eGPU users

Mihail Nosov has already tried at AKiTiO USA's Facebook page: [url]http://www.facebook.com/akitiousa/posts/910682828961731[/url], snippet captured below:

Anybody else want to put some inertia behind a US$200 Thunder2 box for DIY eGPU users by liking his comment OR making similar comments?

AKiTiO is welcome to come here and offer a special coupon or procedure to secure such a deal. Such a deal would:

- decrease the TB2 eGPU enclosure cost hurdle for the next wave of visionaries in bringing their CUDA/OpenGL/gaming creations to life

- get brand recognition for providing excellent value Thunderbolt2 enclosures perfect for eGPU use/experimentation

A good partnership for both of us in the long run :)

Hhahaha that was my youtube video out there! :-)

let's do the petition then to bring down the price of the unit!!

AKiTiO have responded with

Hello Mihail Nosov please contact us at [email][email protected][/email] for any sales inquires

This means a dialogue about price can be begin and by the looks it, they may be receptive about it too.

So troopers wanting a better deal can start negotiating a deal, perhaps for all of us? Please post results of the dialogue. Would love to see a re-established US$200 deal.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pulled out the cable (yellow black) connecting akitio thunderbolt board and akito 16x board. (thunderbolt cable plugged in)

Started mac with alt and waited in boot options.

Started akitio with powered riser. (no akitio adapter)

When waiting in boot options I plugged the cable (yellow black cable on the akitio board) and boot in windows. And it worked finally.

That is a crazy work around. So you unplug the cable on the AKiTiO board and connect it later again?

My Optimus stopped working 2 days ago… need to rework the settings, because it seems like I "broke" it in any way. External display is working properly, just the internal display is disabled as soon as windows starts.

@Dschijn

This is exactly what I did. Maybe the same method works for you aswell. Can you let us know if you try it. I also thought that I burned the board at the begining. Later tested akitio under os x to be sure it is working.

I did a lot of heavy gaming with retina display yesterday. No stability issues huge improvement after pe4l v.2.1. I gave the external monitor back but try to take it again and post benchmarks.

Of course I need to be careful when plugging in the tiny cable everytime.

Is there some sort of switch (which can take place of the short black yellow cable connecting the two akito boards)

has anyone any idea?

Despite what I thought would be a TB-enabled G46VW, I "won" the lottery and got the only rev 2.2 mobo without a TB chip :P In better news, the Zotac 970 fits very nicely into the Akitio! The back only had to be bent slightly to accommodate the cooler.

post-14512-14494998432629_thumb.jpg

And since I don't know if I'm patient enough to wait another 1-2 weeks to test this thing, I may try to get it running on our 2013 rMBP. Plus I could do some TB2 vs. TB1 testing or anything else if it would be helpful information.

Problems: it is NOT the Iris pro graphics version (650M), it runs BIOS windows 8 instead of EFI, I never do anything technical on Mac systems, and this is my first eGPU implementation - so any advice or links to the most relevant guides for this situation would be much appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 2

This thread has become quite long. I've tried to read everything after I got back from vacation but now I'm a bit lost. Is there an easy way to get Optimus working with the Akitio Thunder2? Or is using the Sonnet SEL still a beter solution for using the build in display of the rMBP?

This thread has become quite long. I've tried to read everything after I got back from vacation but now I'm a bit lost. Is there an easy way to get Optimus working with the Akitio Thunder2? Or is using the Sonnet SEL still a beter solution for using the build in display of the rMBP?

It would hep to clarify which rMBP you are referring to. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt . Why is it that you believe the Sonnet SEL gives better results than the AKiTiO Thunder2?

It would hep to clarify which rMBP you are referring to. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt . Why is it that you believe the Sonnet SEL gives better results than the AKiTiO Thunder2?

I'm interested in the solution of @Dschijn (13" rMBP + AKiTiO Thunder2 + riser (if needed) + GTX970) but apparently in his setup Optimus stopped working.

I'm interested in the solution of @Dschijn (13" rMBP + AKiTiO Thunder2 + riser (if needed) + GTX970) but apparently in his setup Optimus stopped working.

Some troubleshooting steps have been provided for his most recent query in correcting that problem: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-guides/7879-%5Bguide%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post108357 . Those steps should get him some positive results.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would definitely recommend to use a powered riser! As my power consumtion tests have shown, the AKiTiO PSU might be used beyond it specs.

The Optimus "problem" might refer to my too much testing and playing with settings. Will reinstal Windows 8.1 when I get my GTX 970 back (had to send it back because of coil noise problems under load). I am pretty sure it will work again, as many people (including me) had it working.

• Thumbs Up 1

So there isn't an advantage anymore in using EVGA graphics card like written in the thread: "UPDATED: 2013 13" or 15" MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 2 - eGPU Plug and Play - Optimus"

Requirements for Thunderbolt 2 plug and play and out-of-the-box Optimus internal display support:

- 2013 13" or 15" MacBook Pro w/Iris-only graphics *15" models with discrete graphics do not work

- Sonnet SEL (w/x16 riser) or possibly Sonnet SE II (unconfirmed). *Sonnet III-D does not work

- EVGA GPUs (confirmed) or other internally power-controlled card. MSI is confirmed to not enable Optimus out-of-the-box *See below

- External PSU for 8-pin and/or 6-pin auxiliary power (Corsair RM450 recommended for it's silent feature. Also compact and fully modular)

Well that is beyond my current knowledge. You could play safe and just order a EVGA (awesome cards btw). I just ordered the MSI to have a 6+8pin power connector and the semi-passive fan feature.

Well that is beyond my current knowledge. You could play safe and just order a EVGA (awesome cards btw). I just ordered the MSI to have a 6+8pin power connector and the semi-passive fan feature.

Do you think 6+8pin power is an advantage? The GTX 970 is rated at 145 Watt so 2x6pin + riser would already give 225 Watt.

Yeah that TDP of 145W is cute :P

I thought the 6+8pin might help to get rid of the powered riser, but 2x6pin will be fine. The powered riser is a must.

In Furmark + OC + higher powertarget, the eGPU setup draws 240W (in total) from the power socket. With 90% efficiency that is 215W.

I would definitely recommend to use a powered riser! As my power consumtion tests have shown, the AKiTiO PSU might be used beyond it specs.

The Optimus "problem" might refer to my too much testing and playing with settings. Will reinstal Windows 8.1 when I get my GTX 970 back (had to send it back because of coil noise problems under load). I am pretty sure it will work again, as many people (including me) had it working.

Did it sound something like this?

Or something like this?

All my cards has made this sound under load.

Is this normal?

More of the 2nd sound sample. I know most cards do that, but a lot of the GTX 970 owners complained. It was so loud, that I could hear it from my closed desktop case (Define R4 which has sound damping).

It wasn't even related to high FPS, as soon as there was load on the card it got the coil noise. Unfortunetly it is stuck in the "mail labyrinth" of DHL now and it will take at least 1 more week to get a replacement.

• Thumbs Up 1

US$200+shipping AKiTiO Thunder2 for DIY eGPU users from [email protected]

@Everyone, I've negotiated a special deal for our group. US$200/unit plus shipping AKiTiO Thunder2 purchased via [email protected]

- Mention in your email that you are a DIY eGPU user

- This will be a very good deal for US buyers

- Asian customers will have their shipped from AKiTiO's Taiwan office and that should lower the shipping costs quite a bit.

- European customers will probably be better off getting theirs from a local AKiTiO resellers due to high duty and shipping costs. eg: €169 mag.de, €249 macway.com (fr)

• Thumbs Up 13

US$200+shipping AKiTiO Thunder2 for DIY eGPU users from [email protected]

@Everyone, I've negotiated a special deal for our group. US$200/unit plus shipping AKiTiO Thunder2 purchased via [email protected]

- Mention in your email that you are a DIY eGPU user

- This will be a very good deal for US buyers

- Asian customers will have their shipped from AKiTiO's Taiwan office and that should lower the shipping costs quite a bit.

- European customers will probably be better off getting theirs from a local AKiTiO resellers due to high duty and shipping costs. eg: €169 mag.de, €249 macway.com (fr)

And I thought my negotiating B&H from $270 to $240 was a good deal. Well done! It makes sense for them business-wise too, since that makes them the automatic choice for TB1 or TB2 enclosures in that price range.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info in here. I was able to get my build up and running fairly easily. In boot camped Windows 8.1 I'm able to run the laptop screen, a monitor, & the Oculus DK2. Frame rates are so much better its insane.

Here is what I ended up building.

-Laptop: MPB mid 2014 - GTX 750M

-EGPU: GTX980

-Akitio thunder 2 - soldered a molex connection to run in off the 12v PSU. Works great.

-500W PSU

-Bought a riser, but after I took apart the Akitio it wasn't necessary. Haven't had any issues with the card crashing.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to make this more portable. I don't really want to put it into a small atx case, so I'm thinking of constructing something to enclose it. I called a hacker space where they are able to cut out different materials. But I'll have to design the enclosure myself. Does anybody have any plans, ideas of good designs, or material recommendations?

Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info in here. I was able to get my build up and running fairly easily. In boot camped Windows 8.1 I'm able to run the laptop screen, a monitor, & the Oculus DK2. Frame rates are so much better its insane.

-Akitio thunder 2 - soldered a molex connection to run in off the 12v PSU. Works great.

-500W PSU

-Bought a riser, but after I took apart the Akitio it wasn't necessary. Haven't had any issues with the card crashing.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to make this more portable. I don't really want to put it into a small atx case, so I'm thinking of constructing something to enclose it. I called a hacker space where they are able to cut out different materials. But I'll have to design the enclosure myself. Does anybody have any plans, ideas of good designs, or material recommendations?

Thanks!

Are you going to carry around an external LCD to attach the GTX980 to since you don't get Optimus accelerated internal LCD mode with the GT750M equipped Macbook Pro?

Updated my power consumtion post! http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24225-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-43.html#post107504

I have no clue about the cave crash… sound was still playing, which means no OS freez, but the 3dMark picture was frozen. Power consumtion dropped -> no GPU use anymore.

Seems like a bug to me. 3dMark or Nvidia... no idea. All the other benchmarks worked flawless.

Hi Buddy, had any more freeze / Crashes / Black screen problems with your GTX970?

I certainly had, especially in Sky Diver Demo and Metro:last light!

I spent some days analyzing my problem and found that the problem is the video card, not the driver or other hardware.

Using GPU-Z and logging the GPU activity (core / mem / temp / fan in the sensor tab) I found that my card has got a incorrect factory clock.

By examining the log-file from GPU-Z I found that my card runs at:

1125MHz / 1265MHz (standard / boost), after reaching boost for a couple of seconds = hard crash!

Correct standard clocks for my card should be:

1076MHz / 1216MHz (standard / boost), This is an OC of 49MHz, I know I doesn't sound like much but consider what happens with OC w/o raising the power limit and other parameters.

Anyway, I down clocked the core to stock values (-49MHz) with MSI Afterburner and logged Sky Diver (3 times back-to-back) = no crash / BSOD / Black screen.

The log file now shows a correct MAX boost of 1216MHz.

Ran all 3DMARK-test, no problems so far!

I'll run Metro: Last light for an hour tonight and report back, if this pass then I consider the problem fixed.

I've also e-mailed ZOTAC and ask them for an immediate release of a correct clocked VBIOS.

Can't test right now, because the card is currently in the mail to be replaced with another card (same model/brand).

Your problems with the OC are strange, because that is not a big OC itself. The power target shouldn't affect this situation, it should just limit the amount of times the boost can be achived (lower the boost if limited by the power target). Most of the times I will instantly increase the power target to get a stable boost.

When my exchanged card returns I will do futher testing.

Thanks for the input.

-500W PSU

Thanks!

Hi l7ocHoliday,

Can you please post some pictures of your setup? Specially the molex connection. I´ve bought a 970 and want to have ideas, but is still on its way.

Thank you

Can't test right now, because the card is currently in the mail to be replaced with another card (same model/brand).

Your problems with the OC are strange, because that is not a big OC itself. The power target shouldn't affect this situation, it should just limit the amount of times the boost can be achived (lower the boost if limited by the power target). Most of the times I will instantly increase the power target to get a stable boost.

When my exchanged card returns I will do futher testing.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I figure the power limit is very tight. I'll test increasing the limit and restore the factory (incorrect) OC and see if it works better, makes sense?

The log shows that the incorrect boost is achieved w/o problems several times during the test and then crashes the x th time.

Thanks for your help!

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to make this more portable. I don't really want to put it into a small atx case, so I'm thinking of constructing something to enclose it.

Most mini-ITX cases are quite big and ugly but I like the Silverstone Fortress FT03-MINI. It doesn't have a large footprint and I realy like the aluminium enclosure. I want to put in on my small desk table in the living room next to my 13 rMBP.

post-25391-14494998487734_thumb.jpg

Normally they recommend the reference coolers for graphics cards to blow out the hot air and a SFX power supply. But without a CPU you might be able to use other graphics cards and larger power supplies. But the card length is limited to 10" so some GTX 970 cards will work but I think most GTX 980 cards are too long.

This is my current wishlist:

* EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked (04G-P4-1972-KR - 2x6 pin)

* Silverstone Fortress FT03-MINI

* Silverstone SFX 450W Bronze (300W should be enough but I might build a PC with this hardware)

* Paperclip trick

* Powered riser

* 500 GB S-ATA drive (for my Steam library)

* S-ATA to USB 3.0 adapter

post-25391-14494998487555_thumb.jpg