How To Make Your M14x Quiet! Without Performing Surgery

Cheers, The first and major complaint about the M14x for most users is the noise it produces. I have found a very easy and common sense way to eliminate a majority of the noise. I can fully verify that this config is powerful enough for surfing, watching movies (even blu-ray) and general computing. It is NOT a gaming config and I doubt this machine will ever be quiet enough for gaming in a library.

Step 1.

step1s.jpg

Step 2.

step2e.jpg

Step 3.

step3i.jpg

Step 4.

step4vg.jpg

Step 5.

step5sk.jpg

Step 6.

step6d.jpg

Step 7.

step7a.jpg

Step 8.

step8e.jpg

Step 9.

step9s.jpg

Step 10.

step10n.jpg

Step 11.

Apply your settings and your good to go. One thing I have noticed is that the m14x and Windows 7 x64 do not seem to always take power corrections so what you may have to do is choose your power setting, do a quick reboot and then it will be in the correct power mode.

Good Luck,

StevenX

Edited by Stevenxowens792
  • Thumbs Up 5

• Founder

This should come in useful for M14x owners that aren't quite familiar with Windows power management. Thanks for the guide steven.

Thanks Brian. I know it's basics but it's a start for the folks that need some peace and quiet with the m14. Also... I tried to get more folks to come over to this site ... apparently the jigg is up cause I was banned as of about 9pm.

I need to make some decent benchmark and gameplay vids but it takes serious time and my kid has been a bit difficult this week.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Thanks Brian. I know it's basics but it's a start for the folks that need some peace and quiet with the m14. Also... I tried to get more folks to come over to this site ... apparently the jigg is up cause I was banned as of about 9pm.

I need to make some decent benchmark and gameplay vids but it takes serious time and my kid has been a bit difficult this week.

Why did they ban you? Actually PM me the reason.

Okay that's bull, it don't matter what their reason was... there was no reason to ban you. They are pathetic, sorry to hear that Steven, it's their lose.

Good advice. Even if people are familiar with Power Management, I imagine they often forget to tweak out the "Advanced Settings". I played a lot with these settings on my M11x and Thinkpads.

I'd go further and say if you want to squeeze out more battery life, check out Intel Graphics:

imageqx.png

It will make graphic little more washed out (bleak) in Windows but from what I remember it gave me decent boost in terms of battery life (~15-20% or so). Also, unless you need to be online on battery, DISABLE the WiFi! (Press Start+X then turn it off there.) That alone usually provides a significant boost (>=30%).

• Thumbs Up 2

Good Point Unreal..! The other night I was thinking of just how to make this thing quiet for a while. So the quiet config above lets you surf and turf without the fan pretty much. I had forgotten I overclocked the Intel HD 3000 in the bios so I undid that as well.

Thanks again,

X

I'll start by saying that you guys have a good point, but this is a $1500 laptop so no complex configurations should be doing to keep silent ya know....

I fully understand that in a small case like this with powerfull components (CPU/GPU) we need a powerful fan that can do a good job, and maybe that's the only reason that the fan makes so noisy..

I'm not a DELL engineer but at least i would have put out the battery and used that space to another fan or a better cooler system...

• Thumbs Up 1

Normally to keep the notebook running at optimum performance I keep command center, fx and any of the bloatmess disabled. I can always open it if needed but I would rather less overhead so I use the windows method.

You are welcome to do the same thing in command center as well.

BW,

StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

Steven on my M17 R2 I did the exact same thing when I was benchmarking... plus if you use CCleaner Download CCleaner 3.06.1433 - FileHippo.com you can quickly disable or enable any start up app. Not having Command center, FX starting saved a lot of memory, faster starts and everything stays normal... you just launch these when you need them and set the changes and they will stay and you didn't even need those apps starting with windows. Cheers! BTW OSD is actually important if you use any touch panel buttons regularly... otherwise you may do the same with that even if its just to bench and next start up you just re-enable it. 48_002.gif

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Normally to keep the notebook running at optimum performance I keep command center, fx and any of the bloatmess disabled. I can always open it if needed but I would rather less overhead so I use the windows method.

You are welcome to do the same thing in command center as well.

BW,

StevenX

AHHH of course, i did not consider turning it off, but i might just turn it off in broad daylight.. hahaha thanks for this steve.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why did they ban you? Actually PM me the reason.

Howdy, I am kinda curious too, I am avid poster on NBR and I suddenly started to see people missing/posting less and I checked these forums and see peeps here. So I am curious as to whats up.

Commander - As I am not a mod or council member or even a bucket boy, I can't speak for this site. What I can say is that NBR no longer allows the freedom to communicate ideas, performance, optimizations or guides. I can also say that the good people of this site actually encourage write ups, guides, optimizations, healthy discussions even if you agree to disagree.

This is the home I am looking for...

With that in mind.. Buh Bye NBR.

StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

Commander - As I am not a mod or council member or even a bucket boy, I can't speak for this site. What I can say is that NBR no longer allows the freedom to communicate ideas, performance, optimizations or guides. I can also say that the good people of this site actually encourage write ups, guides, optimizations, healthy discussions even if you agree to disagree.

This is the home I am looking for...

With that in mind.. Buh Bye NBR.

StevenX

I have no idea why they would ban you, and that worries me. I followed a few of your threads as I always found them interesting and informative, and I thought you were a superb member of that community, so it worries me that they would ban you. I didnt see anything in your posts that would warrant a ban or discipline, so it makes me nervous to post there. I was quite new to NBR, only there for a few months, but I have noticed that moderation of threads was swift and sometimes followed no rhyme or reason.

I look forward to reading your posts here, especially seeing what you are doing with the Alienware M14x and how far you can push it.

Commander- Thanks so much for the response and the vote of confidence! I have already started kicking the teeth in on the benchmarks with a 1750 3dmark11 score at 800/1060, Vantage score of 8350 and 3dmark06 score of 157xx (can't remember the last two as I dont really value 06 benchmarks). Before I got kicked from NBR I wrote a guide on how to optimize the bios and am I super happy with the 2630qm. During a 1024 wprime I can maintain over a 25x turbo the entire test. Literally. My mhz never drops below 2608, all 8 threads. I love this m14x so far. In truth I really wish it had a 6770 or 6850 but we dont get everything we want.

If you can "cautiously" pm your friends at NBR to swing by and visit that would be super apprecaited. As always If I can help you, please let me know.

Best Wishes, StevenX

Edited by Stevenxowens792