NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hello svl7, appreciate all the good work you have been doing.

I have a bit of an issue. I finally got DOS 6.22 to boot with EMM386 and the correct version of nvflash that is designed for the 680M. I was able to individually save the vbios from each card in my dual 680m R2 to a FAT32 partition. I downloaded your dell Dell 680m - 850 base - 889 boost - OV.zip/rom and attempted to flash the cards. However, using options that I read from an alternative site, namely nvflash -f -5 -6 NEWVBIOS.ROM I got a BUFFER error and subsequently lost all vbios on both of my card. If it wasn't for the IvyBridge 4000HD, and your modded BIOS to stay on that "card", I would have no video adapter. I opened up a warranty claim and hoping Dell will resolve my issue w/o voiding my warranty once they see the Arctic (non Dell OEM) paste (otherwise, its pretty stock w/ no other signs of tampering).

If they do repair it and send back two functional cards, what did I do wrong. Was it the nvflash syntax? You state that Dell R2 cannot be flashed per the quotations and I am a little confused.

Hoping for the assist.

Change your BIOS to "SG" as the primary display adapter instead of "PEG" and this will cause your discreet GPU cards to be turned on at boot with the IGFX being the primary display adapter. With the BIOS set to PEG, they are powered off and invisible when IGFX are active.

With this setting, you should be able to re-flash the vBIOS in DOS mode. Using the SG setting in BIOS should also allow the GPUs to become visible in Windows when booting with IGFX, but they will not be usable for gaming and 3D applications. They will accept driver installations and may accept a firmware flash within Windows while IGFX is active, but using the DOS mode would be best under the circumstances.

If your GPUs are visible with IGFX active and recognized by nvflash (or atiflash for those with 7970M) this issue should be correctable by installing the firmware and may not require GPU replacement. This is essentially the same principle as using a PCI display adapter in a desktop PC to recover from a failed AGP or PCIe GPU flash.

I was able to use this process with my M18x to repair a 7970M GPU from a failed vBIOS flash for an M17x R3 owner, so I see no reason it will not work for your 680M GPUs.

• Founder
Hi, I have a Clevo 680M, and wanna ask what's the maximum "safe" overclock for daily use. I'm in a 30ºC ambient temp, using a notebook cooler (Notepal U3).

Thanks!

What notebook are you using? Each manufacturer has different level of cooling built into the card so without knowing this, its hard to say. I have an M18x and I run mine at 1037/1200 daily but others with an M18x typically may run at 900/1100 for optimal speed + cooling. Clevo notebook owners run even more conservative clocks, typically high 800s for core and 1100 memory.

• Thumbs Up 1

What notebook are you using? Each manufacturer has different level of cooling built into the card so without knowing this, its hard to say. I have an M18x and I run mine at 1037/1200 daily but others with an M18x typically may run at 900/1100 for optimal speed + cooling. Clevo notebook owners run even more conservative clocks, typically high 800s for core and 1100 memory.

I'm using a Clevo P150EM, the notebook has dual fans, so it's one exclusively for GPU and one for CPU. I'm using Arctic Silver 5 as paste.

Nope. Set at 900 or rather 888.9.

Also, you needed to have at least 5 post. You should be able to download now...

The unlocked working one.... sort of..LOL

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-7.html#post26285

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Hey everyone, as promised, here's a couple custom Clevo 680M vbios builds that @svl7 sent me a while back for use in our 680M Performance Review article. All of these vbios's have higher than normal voltage so I'd advise caution when using these, especially if you don't have sufficient cooling. It could possibly damage your video card and/or system so use at your own risk. These are meant for single GPU systems, SLI will see no benefit.

680M_SingleGPU_OV.zip

Hey everyone, as promised, here's a couple custom Clevo 680M vbios builds that @svl7 sent me a while back for use in our 680M Performance Review article. All of these vbios's have higher than normal voltage so I'd advise caution when using these, especially if you don't have sufficient cooling. It could possibly damage your video card and/or system so use at your own risk. These are meant for single GPU systems, SLI will see no benefit.

Hey Brian,

Are those for the 4 gb cards only?

• Founder
Hey Brian,

Are those for the 4 gb cards only?

@johnksss yep those are for the Clevo/MSI 4GB versions. Don't think they will work on the Dell cards. I think Marco may have some new OV ones for the Dell cards, not sure. We'll know when he gets back in a week or so.

Im testing one so to speak. LOL

I can get it into windows using a 4 gb vbios. Ann to almost take a driver, but then as it tries to read the video memory...it crashes.

The code im thinking needs to be the same is the E10E to E10D.

E10D seems to be on all 2 gb cards. And the E10E seems to be on all 4 gb cards....

Would need someone to confirm.

By running nvflash whatever.rom and see what it says...From a 4 gb card perspective.

The Clevo OV-OC vbios seems to be missing from the OP now. Is there a limit to the number of attachments per post or am I missing something here?

There's a new version in the second post, with a slightly different name (newOCedition iirc)

interesting, with the new Clevo OC vbios , I can use my gtx 680M to the full power even on battery :\

Hmm, interesting... :) The newOCedition works very well in my M15x, haven't tested it on battery yet.

@enantiopure: If the method which Mr. Fox described doesn't work and Dell doesn't help you fixing the issue, let me know.

Im testing one so to speak. LOL

I can get it into windows using a 4 gb vbios. Ann to almost take a driver, but then as it tries to read the video memory...it crashes.

The code im thinking needs to be the same is the E10E to E10D.

E10D seems to be on all 2 gb cards. And the E10E seems to be on all 4 gb cards....

Would need someone to confirm.

By running nvflash whatever.rom and see what it says...From a 4 gb card perspective.

Is there a MSI / Clevo 2GB card available? Or vbios?

Also what's the best vbios so far? Been off for a while, I'm losing track of how all the different versions behave. What kind of 680m are you using?

The "newOCedition" (Clevo) works very well on my Clevo 680m, in fact it fixed the throttling issue I experienced with the stock vbios (which never hit the full stock 3d clocks under load).

There's a new version in the second post, with a slightly different name (newOCedition iirc)

Hmm, interesting... :) The newOCedition works very well in my M15x, haven't tested it on battery yet.

@enantiopure: If the method which Mr. Fox described doesn't work and Dell doesn't help you fixing the issue, let me know.

Is there a MSI / Clevo 2GB card available? Or vbios?

Also what's the best vbios so far? Been off for a while, I'm losing track of how all the different versions behave. What kind of 680m are you using?

The "newOCedition" (Clevo) works very well on my Clevo 680m, in fact it fixed the throttling issue I experienced with the stock vbios (which never hit the full stock 3d clocks under load).

Welcome back for the weekend Brother Marco.

Im using the 2gb dell version.

and they all seem to throttle when you start getting into the 850 plus range....

Welcome back for the weekend Marco too. Hows performance at 850 range John? Grass looks greener from 7970m side, id give a lung to have even a Dell 680m. I bet if your trying to push those though John Im sure the 850 limit is a bother. So are you just testing them?

They over clock fine, but it's that micro stuttering they do and that quick flashing from say 900/900 to 222/900. So what im thinking is...We need to find that other set of clocks that seems to be hidden from view. And im also thinking that slv7 might not have enough time to do that by the end of this weekend due to of course...obvious reasons..(family. :))

They will over clock fine and run nice and cool...So maybe having access to this this other clock domain might be the temporary answer.

They over clock fine, but it's that micro stuttering they do and that quick flashing from say 900/900 to 222/900. So what im thinking is...We need to find that other set of clocks that seems to be hidden from view. And im also thinking that slv7 might not have enough time to do that by the end of this weekend due to of course...obvious reasons..(family. :))

They will over clock fine and run nice and cool...So maybe having access to this this other clock domain might be the temporary answer.

I see like in the past matching P0 and P1 but P1 in this example is hidden from normal modification. :) if he can find it of course not this weekend I hope it unlocks that card for you.

Would rather understand the other part than doing the matching...Because that means that a new vbios would have to be made each time. Then one could just lightly stutter when over clocking with msi or nvidia inpector...

• Brian featured this topic