Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

On 7/21/2018 at 1:43 AM, AllanDavidson said:

There are some dudes here with a GTX 1070 on the adapter.

The CPU will sure bottleneck it as much as a i7 4770k running at 2.4GHz ~ 3.4GHz.

Read my previous post about cooling.

@AllanDavidson

I read through your findings and they were interesting. Have you gotten the chance to test limits with only the eGPU enabled?

Boom, i am back.

SO, look's like situation with Lenovo Y500 & nVidia GTX 10xx now solved. But i still have got question:

May i use build-in in notebook display or i still need new external display to see picture from nVidia GTX?

Update:

O.K., i see @Kuneroll already did few tests with Y500, modded BIOS (by @High_Voltage) and nVidia GTS 250. @Kuneroll said it worked with internal display, but said nothing about Optimus. This part is unclear.

I am asking about it because yesterday i finally replaced thermalinterface of CPU and GPU and when i saw laptop completely disassembled... maybe assemble it as open stand with eGPU?

Anyonde did something similar? I tested Compal board in my ThermalTake Soprano case (from  very old PC) and it's not fit - holes for screws are completely diffirent.

P.S. My eyes on nVidia GTX 1060 (~$200). Something better - too pricey. But i like idea of slow switch from laptop to desktop.

P.P.S. @gerald are you still have adapters for sale?

Edited by rusTORK
typo

Hi

I'm also interest to purchase one of this. I have Y510p with i7 4700hq and gf755m and it's lack of graphic power.

Is this still avaible and for how long it will be?

I'm from Poland and what's the price for the hardware and shipment? How long I have to wait till I get stuff?

Thanks for reply.

Hi,

I still have some adapters.

It costs €95,- incl. int. shipping.

Pls transfer the money to my PayPal account and I will send the adapter within e few days. The shipping to poland will take approx. 2-3 weeks.

To this account: Gerald.pichler@gmx.at ?

Where to send adress for shipment?

I have to check the paypal account becouse I didn't use it for few years - propably need to update my bank account and credit card. 

Another question - which card will be better for game performance r9 390 or rx 480 for gaming? I'm asking becouse in Poland the price for this cards from second hand are the same. Maybe better choice will be RX 570 (new)? Or maybe You recommend another choice?

My y510p setup:

i7 4700MQ

8GB Ram - dual

SSD Samsung 960 - 240GB

Thanks for reply.

So I gues all the issue with nvidia cards are solved? Sorry for asking didn't have time to read over 40 pages on this topic. 

I found today the YouTube video with this adapter when I was looking for cooling mods for y510p and I was shocked. I have y510p over 4 years :/

So what nvidia card You can recommended up to 250 euro? Can be second hand. Don't have play all games on the ultra settings with 1080p. I have a internal screen with 768p and would like to play with good fps in "new" games like Witcher 3, GTA V, Kingdome Come Deliverence and other. My setup with gf 755m lack in these games. I'll consider to p&p external screen for better gaming experience. But still I will need to take the laptop with me off the home and I would rather use internal screen.

@geraldThank you for respond. I will update my PP account information too and sent payment... well i think at this week.

@WishlordIt may be secondhand, just be really carefull with card from miners. This things working 24/7 and may be really in poor condition.

Edited by rusTORK

Ok, thanks for reply.

Can someone link directly to the site (post/topic) where I can find all information about mod for nvidia cards and how to run it?

Maybe better if the autor will update the first post with all information for new ppl (don't have to read the whole topic)

To be honest the 1070 is over my budget and too powerfull for what I need. 

Will look for 1060 or 1050Ti.

Hello People,

My problem is that the other day i got a MSI GTX OCV1 1060 6gb, successfully solved error 43 in device manager via the 1050Ti guide on the egpu forum.

I had to send back that card to the shop because it had issue with one of its fans. It was working tho but i didnt want to use a kinda broken card.

Today i just recieved my new card which is a MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X. (This new card is way beefier and also has a 8pin connector instead of the 6pin the previous had. Unfortunately i only have 6pin connector but it seems to me that it is not the problem in this case because windows detects it, also fans and leds turn on when laptop turned on.)

So the deal is that i pluged it in and i got error 43 again. I said well its fine i will do the trick again then. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work now for whatever reason. I tried it 2 times already but no luck, it still says error 43 when im done with the method. Now i noticed that after i cleared my drivers with DDU and done installing 368.81 stock driver (it has the 1060 6gb included by default) in Disable driver signature enforcement mode, it only recognises the 755m right away and the GTX 1060 only gets recognised after the second (newer driver install).

Anyways i still get error 43. 

Any ideas?

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

50 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

@balint234 Double check every step about fixing error 43, also look's like Gameing X series is problematic:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=123.0

A lot topics on MSI forum.

I basically followed those steps 1 by 1 like 3 times.

just reinstalled windows as well to give it a shot but god this thing just doesnt work.

last thing i can think about is that although the card runs and gets recognised by windows it still needs the 8 pin power cable (as i mentioned i only pluged in a 6pin but it boots and spins and lights up so im really disappointed. 

30 minutes ago, balint234 said:

just reinstalled windows as well to give it a shot but god this thing just doesnt work.

last thing i can think about is that although the card runs and gets recognised by windows it still needs the 8 pin power cable (as i mentioned i only pluged in a 6pin but it boots and spins and lights up so im really disappointed. 

you should  check your card's id. Some of the newly -manufactured card is using a new hardware id(for gtx1060 6gb)

btw I've forgot my pwd for this forum and couldn't log in for a while lol

33 minutes ago, balint234 said:

If your card does use a new id, you should modify the driver and add the id into it.

1 hour ago, Swung Huang said:

you should  check your card's id. Some of the newly -manufactured card is using a new hardware id(for gtx1060 6gb)

btw I've forgot my pwd for this forum and couldn't log in for a while lol

If your card does use a new id, you should modify the driver and add the id into it.

How do i check my card id?

Képernyőfelvétel (1).png

Edited by balint234

28 minutes ago, balint234 said:

How do i check my card id?

ehhh...I can't remember that clearly.but as far as I can tell you can refer to the guide to modify the driver.

it's somewhere in the device manager.

right click on your gpu-properties-details tab? It's likely to be there. I dunno.

43 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

ehhh...I can't remember that clearly.but as far as I can tell you can refer to the guide to modify the driver.

it's somewhere in the device manager.

right click on your gpu-properties-details tab? It's likely to be there. I dunno.

i only found this

Képernyőfelvétel (1).png

27 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

yep. That's the problem. You should add that Id to the driver and install the modified driver.

By the time i read your reply i already started doing it, i didnt add it but replaced the original 1060 id to this one.