eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Just making sure, is the 8-pin connector on the adapter a female plug? There is only one picture of it in the manual. If so then those cables should work.

I guessed the plug on the adapter was female since it was rather large and the little latch appears to be on the wire itself.

----

Also, what video card will you using? You would have to make sure your 19V power supply can supply adequate wattage to the video card.

Yeah, the adapters on the module are female. It has two, presumably for those video cards that require two rails...

As far as video card, don't actually have one yet... I just tested the module with an ATX power supply and a Radeon HD 6850 from my desktop to make sure it both worked and my laptop would be set up to just plug and play whenever I get one for it.

FJR308, did you decide to go for the PE4H 3.2 then? Did you actually purchase one? Mind if I ask where you picked it up from as I can only find a seller in Vietnam or something and I'm a bit unsure about it! Thanks in advance mate :)

Sorry, won't be of much help here... I do actually have one, but I got it from a friend no longer using it, hence the incomplete nature of it.

Either way, for me the module works just fine... just that I'm trying to make use of it to it's full capability... that and I would rather not have the huge ATX bundle laying on my desk given the option.

alright.... i need some help..... so im trying to setup an x2 link for my egpu. currently i have a gtx 560Ti and dell studio 1458 with first gen core i5. when i plug it invia express card slot everything works 100% but when i swap the cables and use the PM3N adapter to hook it up via wwan, windows does not even know that it is plugged it. nothing happens...... ????? what do i do? lol ive tried both my WWAN and the wifi chip slots...... still nothin also everything is enabled in bios. any ideas? when i plug in a usb thumb drive, it reconizes that and allows me to read/write to it....

alright.... i need some help..... so im trying to setup an x2 link for my egpu. currently i have a gtx 560Ti and dell studio 1458 with first gen core i5. when i plug it invia express card slot everything works 100% but when i swap the cables and use the PM3N adapter to hook it up via wwan, windows does not even know that it is plugged it. nothing happens...... ????? what do i do? lol ive tried both my WWAN and the wifi chip slots...... still nothin also everything is enabled in bios. any ideas? when i plug in a usb thumb drive, it reconizes that and allows me to read/write to it....

How are you setting x2? What ports are you using?

How are you setting x2? What ports are you using?

Rite now I was trying a regular x1 speed hook up via pm3n instead of express card slot. But it's not working. Windows does not even know that the card is connected. But if I plug in a USB thumb drive it works and I can see the thumb drive. How do u check for port layouts? Once I'd get that to work, then I figured I would then try the x2 link via pm3n and express card slot.

Guys,

I had an EGPU on my HP Probook 4730s with PE4L 2.1b + GTX 660ti

I had it working for a while now. But after my latest move to a different apartment, the computer refuses to work with it. None of the hardware is broken or damaged.

Here's what happened.

1. I first had an NVIDIA gtx 660ti. Had problems but Nando directed me to uninstall my onboard grahpics driver from HP and try the intel one. Everything worked well from that point.

2. I learned that EVGA had a better warranty than straight Nvidia. So I returned my Nvidia card and put the EVGA one in place.

3. Things worked well for a while, however, from time to time, when I plugged the EGPU in, the wifi and all other USB ports would just get shot and the display would not switch to my monitor.

4. When things worked, the EGPU would plug in, then it would shut off the wifi for a few seconds, then the display would flicker onto my monitor and everything would work. Including wifi.

So now im considering actually reimaging my computer because of this. I don't know if that's gonna make it work, but if there's anything else that can be done, I wanted to ask here.

Thank you so much. Please let me know if there are pictures or other informatoin that would help give proper advice.

Again, a sincere thanks.

Rite now I was trying a regular x1 speed hook up via pm3n instead of express card slot. But it's not working. Windows does not even know that the card is connected. But if I plug in a USB thumb drive it works and I can see the thumb drive. How do u check for port layouts? Once I'd get that to work, then I figured I would then try the x2 link via pm3n and express card slot.

Sometimes mPCI-E slots are not fully wired and only have USB connectivity instead of both USB and PCI-E. Does your wireless card work in that slot and if so is your wireless card PCI-E or USB?

You can look up port numbers with AIDA64.

Sometimes mPCI-E slots are not fully wired and only have USB connectivity instead of both USB and PCI-E. Does your wireless card work in that slot and if so is your wireless card PCI-E or USB?

You can look up port numbers with AIDA64.

Yupp. WiFi is plugged in via PCI and works 100% I'll try the port layout.

edit: what do u want me to post from AIDA64?

21l61jm.png

i think i can move the WLAN chip to another port to free that port.

so i guess i can have eaither 2 and 4 free or if i can move the wifi chip then 2 and 3 open?

when i plug in my gtx via express card slot it comes up as port 2

i found this on the first page of this thread:

"NOTE: WWAN mPCIe slots with only USB pins connected (pin 36+38) rather than PCIe pins (23, 25, 33, 35) cannot do a eGPU."

how do i check for that? cause thats what im trying to do....

21l61jm.png

i think i can move the WLAN chip to another port to free that port.

so i guess i can have eaither 2 and 4 free or if i can move the wifi chip then 2 and 3 open?

when i plug in my gtx via express card slot it comes up as port 2

i found this on the main screen:

"NOTE: WWAN mPCIe slots with only USB pins connected (pin 36+38) rather than PCIe pins (23, 25, 33, 35) cannot do a eGPU."

how do i check for that? cause thats what im trying to do....

You said your wireless card works in the WWAN slot. Your wireless card is PCI-E so therefore your WWAN slot is fully wired. Plug the wireless card into the WWAN slot and look up what the port number is, or if you currently have it in the WWAN slot then plug it back into the WLAN slot to find out what port number that is.

I suspect that the reason why the eGPU is not working in the mPCI-E slots is because you are hotplugging the eGPU, but since the BIOS did not see any device on the port on startup it disabled the port. This can be worked around with Tech Inferno Fan's setup program, but first we need to know if x2 is even possible.

ok so after some testing, here is what i come up with.... i got my gtx to work when i plug it into the WLAN port on my laptop. it installed fine and everything. however, i can not get anything to work on the WWAN port. whether i plug in the eGPU or the wifi card, it does not detect it. however i can plug in the PE4H into it via PM3N and then a USB thumb driv into that. it will detect the usb.....

so now what? my Express card slot is port 2 and my wifi card is port 3. my Ethernet port is port 1 i would imagine that the WWAN is port 4. i dont use Ethernet, but i would like to still have my wifi working since i play online games only.

ok so after some testing, here is what i come up with.... i got my gtx to work when i plug it into the WLAN port on my laptop. it installed fine and everything. however, i can not get anything to work on the WWAN port. whether i plug in the eGPU or the wifi card, it does not detect it. however i can plug in the PE4H into it via PM3N and then a USB thumb driv into that. it will detect the usb.....

so now what? my Express card slot is port 2 and my wifi card is port 3. my Ethernet port is port 1 i would imagine that the WWAN is port 4. i dont use Ethernet, but i would like to still have my wifi working since i play online games only.

This means that your WWAN is not wired for PCI-E. I thought you had already tested it but I guess we miscommunicated. Unfortunately x2 is impossible with your laptop.

i found this on dell website

"The WWAN card slot on the Studio™ 1457/1458 system is located on the bottom Left hand corner underneath the base plate. Use this slot for WWAN cards only. WLAN cards do not work in this slot and should not be installed here."

is there anything else i can do as far as increase bandwidth? ive already set everything to performance in nvidia control pannel, and set color to 16bit, and using modded drivers. im sick of only being able to play 2 games with the eGPU. like i want to at least be able to play call of duty.....

can i combine ports 1 and 2 for x2 or x1E or something like that? i dont use the Ethernet and never have since i bought my computer....

check this out......

this is what i was trying to solve. ALL call of duty games lag like crazy, but dirt 3 and BFBC2 are completely playable on high settings....?

i found this on dell website

"The WWAN card slot on the Studio™ 1457/1458 system is located on the bottom Left hand corner underneath the base plate. Use this slot for WWAN cards only. WLAN cards do not work in this slot and should not be installed here."

is there anything else i can do as far as increase bandwidth? im sick of only being able to play 2 games with the eGPU. like i want to at least be able to play call of duty.....

check this out......

this is what i was trying to solve. ALL call of duty games lag like crazy, but dirt 3 and BFBC2 are completely playable on high settings....?

Maybe you can overclock the base clock, but it won't make a huge difference. You'll at best gain 25% bandwidth, possibly much less. A nice plus though is this also overclocks your CPU. It won't make a night and day difference, but you will notice it. This is pretty complicated though and you will need to look up much on your own. You can start by going to Podien's Shareware and clicking "PLL find". The terms and some facts are a bit outdated (ex. front side buses no longer exist, but the base clock is similar), but this describes the basic idea. A more modern program that may support your PLL is setfsb. Tech Inferno Fan made a program too for some more PLLs but I can't remember the name of it.

alright ill look into that. last time i tried any overclocking with just programs, i could never do it. also i cant do a X1E link if i disconnect my Ethernet and link ports 1 and 2?

You can't disconnect your ethernet. it's a chip soldered onto the motherboard.

Is it not possible to run an eGPU without Optimus on a MacBook Pro 15" (one with a dGPU)? Also I do not understand how to boot the Setup 1.x from USB on a MacBook, just doesn't seem to show up when I press Alt/Option, when I used rEFIt/rEFInd, it does see it, but I just continues to Windows.

Is it not possible to run an eGPU without Optimus on a MacBook Pro 15" (one with a dGPU)? Also I do not understand how to boot the Setup 1.x from USB on a MacBook, just doesn't seem to show up when I press Alt/Option, when I used rEFIt/rEFInd, it does see it, but I just continues to Windows.

Have you look at the "How do I install this software?" in Setup1.x page? I guess if you follow it should work.

I'd recommend installing Windows in EFI Mode so you don't have to use eGPU Setup.

Take a look at my thread and Nando's post on BIOS Mode if you want to give it a try.

[MENTION=11972]Robert Garland[/MENTION]

No I have not forgotten you, I just had a cold solder joint, which I wanted to find first.

So to the LEDs, the red light turns on only when the PE4L is connected to my X220 but gets too less power. Be there only of the laptop or only on graphics cards side.

on the Bios it can not be, otherwise more people here have reported this problem.

Ok try this, SW1 to 1 and SW2 to 2-3. Yes I know the fan rotates at high, but only as long as you haven't connect the PE4L to your X220t.

The setting in the bios you can find under: Config - Power - ExpressCard speed, there should be: Automatic stand.

Then turn on the graphics card, connect the PE4L with your turn on the X220t and X220t.

@Quadrider10

Look at my first Post, I have no Problem with OC...

[MENTION=11972]

@Quadrider10

Look at my first Post, I have no Problem with OC...

did you OC the GPU or FSB? i was talking about OCing the FSB. also r u running on PCI 1.0 or 2.0? and what speed? x1 or x2? if your on PCI 1.0 x1, do you receive a ridiculous about of lag with some games that make them unplayable?

Have you look at the "How do I install this software?" in Setup1.x page? I guess if you follow it should work.

Yes I have tried it, the USB works on a normal Windows laptop. Just won't boot on my MacBook.

I'd recommend installing Windows in EFI Mode so you don't have to use eGPU Setup.

Take a look at my thread and Nando's post on BIOS Mode if you want to give it a try.

I have tried, and still am trying to install Win 8 EFI. At the end of the install process, it errors with "Windows couldn't update the boot configuration".

The furthest I got in installing Win 8 EFI was by following this link, ending in a black screen.

Also, am I to apply the startup.nsh, prior or after installing Win 8 EFI?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.