Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Is there a way to set the fan to always run at 100%? I've tried speedfan but it can't even detect the y400's fan.

Reboot your system, press F2, and look in the BIOS. Believe me, it's in there. There are some thermal management settings where you can specify which temperatures the fan kicks in and such. The beauty of svl7's unlocked BIOS is that all these advanced options, which were previously hidden in the stock Lenovo BIOS, are now open to us. :)

SpeedFan usually doesn't work for mobile system because there's no software fan and thermal control. It's gonna be in the BIOS if it's even available at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see u use 306 driver, 310.9 or older driver u don't need modding the bios!

LOL I know that; I've been keeping up-to-date with all the developments and am well aware of these things. :)

Of course I'm going to update to the latest driver. 306.00 doesn't even have SLI profiles for games released in the last 6 months LOL. I just haven't had time to do a clean install yet, so as of right now I'm still rocking all the factory drivers and bloatware. ;)

Another successful go here! svl7, thank you kindly!

Perhaps it'd be good to include a note about turning protection off for flashing the SLI card? It was a stumbling block until I remembered someone mentioning it.

Cheers!

Perhaps it'd be good to include a note about turning protection off for flashing the SLI card? It was a stumbling block until I remembered someone mentioning it.

Actually if you read carefully he did write that in the guide.

Nope, I got that. I'm talking about turning the write protection off using the -r command. Otherwise it gives you a write error when you try to flash?

Gee you are blind. :rolleyes:

nvflash -iX -r is the command to remove write protection. That's what I lassoed in that screen capture. Far-sighted much?

BTW I noticed that after flashing the vBIOS, Nvidia Inspector and GPU-Z both report the default core to be 835 MHz when in fact it is still 790 MHz. So those of you who flashed may get confused when GPU-Z and Inspector show a core clock that is +45 MHz higher than what it actually is. Anything that reads the clock speed from the sensor, however will still report the correct value. Doesn't mean anything but just thought you guys should know if you didn't already.

Whoops, I need to fix that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoops, I need to fix that.

Sir, Now i have made everything ready for flashing modded bios...should i wait for the fix that you are saying or else shall i continue my flashing...please kindly inform us :)

Thank you

YYEEEESSSSSSS!!! You guys are freakin' geniuses.

bZJNL9M.png

7FWpsiT.png

Here's how I got it to work:

Use DOS version of NVflash.

Follow svl7's guide to but make sure you first turn off write protection with nvflash -r for the Ultrabay GPU which is index <1>.

Then flash ONLY the Ultrabay GPU (remember it is GPU 1).

Press y twice to confirm and wait until it reports that it has flashed successfully.

CTR+ALT+DEL to restart and PROFIT.

Can someone clearify that for me, I really only need to flash the ultrabay GPU to overlock both cards, no need to flash a modded bios at all ?

Gee you are blind. :rolleyes:

nvflash -iX -r is the command to remove write protection. That's what I lassoed in that screen capture. Far-sighted much?

Oh lord, I got it now. :embarrassed:

I don't understand how I missed it. It's morning now, perhaps late night tired induced witlessness? 1080p screen makes things too small? I didn't have my glasses on?

*cough* :ambivalence:

Oh lord, I got it now. :embarrassed:

I don't understand how I missed it. It's morning now, perhaps late night tired induced witlessness? 1080p screen makes things too small? I didn't have my glasses on?

*cough* :ambivalence:

Took you long enough LOL.

hm...i can´t get my second GPU to flash I followed the steps in the guide and already flashed my bios to mod 2.02V which worked fine, the nvflash part tells it´s working but doesnt do anything

removed write protection with

nvflash -i1 -r (says write protection is removed) then flashing with nvflash -i1 -6 sli.rom which also runs through and says bla successfull complete but nvidia inspector doest show bios as modified and clock is still locked any suggestions ? nvflash -i 1 -r || nvflash -i 1 - 6 sli.rom has same effect, no errors warnings or anything displayed

as I was flashing the bios I found 2 things misleading in the guide

Put the fixed BIOS, the prr.exe tool and the fpt.exe (along with the fparts.txt file) on the root of your prepared DOS bootable USB drive, restart your system and boot from that drive.

It sounded to me like I was going to flash the v202Fix because the downloaded v202.rom was not mentioned

fpt.exe -f filename.bin -bios

made me wonder if I had the right file because of the .bin extension in the example and the downloaded .rom

note: your win8 will not boot into desktop the first time after flashing, win8 will restart once and show screen like first boot (little tutorial thingy, don´t panic you didn´t format ^^)

you may change that for others who are not venturous enought to just try it

hm...i can´t get my second GPU to flash I followed the steps in the guide and already flashed my bios to mod 2.02V which worked fine, the nvflash part tells it´s working but doesnt do anything

removed write protection with

nvflash -i1 -r (says write protection is removed) then flashing with nvflash -i1 -6 sli.rom which also runs through and says bla successfull complete but nvidia inspector doest show bios as modified and clock is still locked any suggestions ? nvflash -i 1 -r || nvflash -i 1 - 6 sli.rom has same effect, no errors warnings or anything displayed

as I was flashing the bios I found 2 things misleading in the guide

Put the fixed BIOS, the prr.exe tool and the fpt.exe (along with the fparts.txt file) on the root of your prepared DOS bootable USB drive, restart your system and boot from that drive.

It sounded to me like I was going to flash the v202Fix because the downloaded v202.rom was not mentioned

fpt.exe -f filename.bin -bios

made me wonder if I had the right file because of the .bin extension in the example and the downloaded .rom

note: your win8 will not boot into desktop the first time after flashing, win8 will restart once and show screen like first boot (little tutorial thingy, don´t panic you didn´t format ^^)

you may change that for others who are not venturous enought to just try it

I don't know, svl7's instructions seemed pretty straightforward to me. I got everything right the first time around and didn't run into any problems.

You can confirm that your BIOS flash was successful by booting into BIOS and it should say 'svl7 mod' at the top-right corner with a bunch of previously-hidden advanced options unlocked. Also, Nvidia Inspector should show the vBIOS of GPU0 as '80.07.27.00.33 [MODIFIED].'

If you have SLI and successfully flashed the vBIOS of the Ultrabay GPU the Nvidia Inspector should report the vBIOS of GPU1 to also be '80.07.27.00.33 [MODIFIED].'

If everything completed successfully with no error messages but your BIOS is still unmodded then the only thing I can think of is that you got the files mixed up and didn't flash the correct files. Double-check everything and flash again.