Jump to content
  • AMD RX 480 Drawing Too Much Power and Potentially Damaging Motherboards?

Brian

AMD's new RX 480 $200 graphics card is out and delivers GTX 970/R390 performance as promised. However, there are some conflicting reports of the new Polaris GPU drawing more power from the PCI-e slot than it is rated. According to Tom's Hardware, the RX 480 draws 86 watts peak from the motherboard's PCI-e slot although the official ceiling is 75 watts.

AMD’s Radeon RX 480 draws an average of 164W, which exceeds the company's target TDP. And it gets worse. The load distribution works out in a way that has the card draw 86W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot. Not only does this exceed the 75W ceiling we typically associate with a 16-lane slot, but that 75W limit covers several rails combined and not just this one interface.

18-Gaming-Bars_w_600.png
    18-Gaming-Bars.png

With peaks of up to 155W, we have to be thankful they're brief, and not putting the motherboard in any immediate danger. However, the audio subsystems on cheaper platforms will have a hard time dealing with them. This means that the "you can hear what you see" effect will be in full force during load changes; activities like scrolling may very well result in audible artifacts.

After Tom's Hardware published their report, other websites such as PCPer followed up with their own testing and reported similar findings:

The results are compelling: at stock settings the RX 480 is 160+ watts on average and spikes to 170 watts several times.

View Full Size

Metro: Last Light (4K) power draw, RX 480, Click to Enlarge

Taking a closer look reveals that the motherboard PCI Express connection is supplying 80-84 watts of power over the +12V rail continuously, while the +3.3V rail hovers just below 5 watts. This is definitely a concern for the RX 480 design, but to what degree?

Additionally, there are some users that reported potential issues with their motherboards that arose after using the RX 480 in their systems:

RX480Slot.JPGRX480Slot2.JPG

Keep in mind both of those reports do not 100% confirm the problem is the RX 480 but given the reported issues with it's power draw and these users boards experiencing problems after installing an RX 480, there is a strong possibility that it is the cause.

There is a reddit thread in r/AMD on this topic and AMD's Robert Hallock has issued the following response:

1) The RX 480 meets the bar for PCIe compliance testing with PCI-SIG. //edit: and interop with PCI Express. This is not just our internal testing. I think that should be made very clear. Obviously there are a few GPUs exhibiting anomalous behavior, and we've been in touch with these reviewers for a few days to better understand their test configurations to see how this could be possible.

2) Update #2 made by the OP is confused. There is a difference between ASIC power, which is what ONLY THE GPU CONSUMES (110W), and total graphics power (TGP), which is what the entire graphics card uses (150W). There has been no change in the spec, so I would ask that incorrect information stop being disseminated as "fact."

We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it's worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue. Clearly that makes it aberrant, rather than the rule, and we're working to get that number down to zero.

/edit for absolute factual clarity.

We're awaiting AMD's full official response which should hopefully be coming soon.

UPDATE: TechPowerUp contacted AMD and received the following official response:

"As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8 Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

Edited by Brian

Report Article

User Feedback

The poster who lost a PCI-E slot is correct in that its very strange that the 2nd slot still works (PCI_E for x16 is on CPU, not southbridge though). You would expect that if one slot died that all would be dead. They both share the same power circuitry.

Link to comment
    7 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Indeed but AMD has pretty much acknowledged the issue and said they'll address it in a driver update. I'm not quite sure what they will do via drivers to accomplish this and whether it will affect performance in anyway.

Link to comment
    12 hours ago, Khenglish said:

All I can see them doing is dropping the power limit.

On July 5th they will supposedly issue a driver level fix. Anyhow, with some sleuthing I found a rogue AMD engineer discussing Polaris, enjoy:

Link to comment
    On 7/3/2016 at 1:48 AM, Brian said:

Having spanish as my first language and looking at this crap, I don't know if killing you for such a fake or thanking you for the good laugh I got out of this crap is the right choice to proceed xD
    He is saying so many stupid shit that it's simply hilarious!

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

• Similar Content

• By ruxik93
      So I'm a recently father of 1 and struggling military personnel. No need for more details. I'm building a "gaming desktop" out of parts I'm collecting out of other people's trash basically. Running on all 2012 standards. currently I'm using a AMD Athlon II x4 clocked at 2.6 GHz on a Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet6) motherboard with 500Gb of space and a Zotac Nvidia GT 640. I'm really proud of this setup so far because the overall price of the desktop is currently sitting at $10 for the Arctic Silver to replace the old thermal paste. The main thing I'm wanting to know from this community is whether or not the AMD Phenom is a decent processor. On paper it looks fine, but i have never built with it before, therefore I'm uncertain. Also if anyone knows of a cheap cheap MOBO that is still high quality and has 4 DIMM slots and preferably at least AM3+.
    • By xerman
      Hello all! Im posting this here in hope to receive some orientation or help regargind my egpu project.

I have my old and trusted Acer 5750G and I’m still using it everyday for work. I’m a photographer and it has worked quite well with some upgrades:
      -Upgraded i5 to i7 2630qm.
      -Upgraded ram, 8gb to 16 gb.
      -Upgraded HD to SSD.

Some facts:
      – I have the unlocked bios so I was able to set the mpci port as “hot pluggable” and I can also deactivate the dedicated nvidia 630m from the bios itself.
      – I have bough this case [PCIe PCI-E EXP GDC External Laptop Video Card Dock / Laptop Docking Station (Mini PCI-E interface Version) ] that will arrive home in 10-15 days.
      – I have ordered a wifi usb card.
      I was thinking in getting a nvidia 1060 6gb and plug it to my old laptop using the mpci port. I ask for your advice and knoledge regarding this:
      1- Is this a good card choice?
      2- Will I face any problem with my setup or there is something important I should take into consideration?
      3- Will software that uses CUDA (photoshop and premiere, for example) get reinforced with the new card?
      4- How much processing power will get lost for the “small” port I will be using?
      Thanks a lot again, and sorry for my english mistakes!!
    • By Brian
      So now that we've had ample time to digest all the new AMD Vega 56/64 reviews and information, lets start a discussion about them. Performance wise, the Vega 56 more or less equals a GTX 1070 while the Vega 64 lines up with a GTX 1080. However, to many people's dismay, the Vega 64 is far too overpriced with the cheapest one currently available on Newegg being an XFX one for $689 which is nearly the same price as a GTX 1080 Ti but about 35-40% slower.

In addition, both the Vega 56 and 64 use more power than their counterparts and this especially applies to the Vega 64 with it nearly consuming twice as much power as the GTX 1080. Some of the reasons I've read over the internet from Vega buyers for their purchases are the ability to utilize their FreeSync monitors as well as some Linux uses.

I know our community here also utilizes desktop GPUs for eGPU uses and AMD does support eGPU now so with that in mind, do you plan to purchase a Vega 56 or 64 and if so, why?
    • By Henrik9979

Okay here is what's going. I have a alienware m18x r1 running an amd 8970m, I wanted to upgrade it to crossfire but I could see a 8970m was more expensive than a r9 m290x
      So I decided to buy a r9 m290x and see if I could make it work in my alienware and also run crossfire.
      Even though many shops refused to sell me one because the didn't think it would work in an alienware m18x r1 only in the r2.

Here is the whole process.

19/08/17 23:15
      No post bios showing when booting, so impossible to enter bios menu, but can boot into windows 10 with no problems.

19/08/17 23:20
      Because I haven't deleted the old AMD 8970m the r9 m290x shows as a 8970m with no problems.

19/08/17 23:34
      First performance test was a success. The r9 m290x changed p-state normally. The gpu fan start spinning normally. But because of no thermal paste, the test lasted 20 seconds because the temperature raised fast.

20/08/17 00:00
      Created a backup of the vbios version
      015.032.000.004.044450

20/08/17 00:10
      Flashed a new clevo vbios version 015.032.000.003.044465
      Caused the card to be corrupted and resulted the 8 beep code.

20/08/17 00:35
      Finally managed to flash the back and return the graphics card to its original state.

20/08/17 00:50
      Flashed a new dell vbios version 015.046.000.014.045579
      No change in behavior

20/08/17 01:07
      After trying multiple vbios with no luck I finally found one.
      Dell vbios Version 015.041.000.000.044966
      Brings back the post bios screen and I can now enter the bios menu through the r9 m290x.
      Note: This vbios reduce the cards performance from 900 mhz to 850 mhz

20/08/17 01:21
      After more testing I found one that is working with no limits.
      Clevo vbios version
      015.036.000.005.044618
      This will be the vbios I will keep at the moment.

20/08/17 01:56
      I completely uninstalled the previous driver and installed the newest driver. The graphics card is recognized as a 8970m but works normal.

21/08/17 20:15
      I have inserted my old 8970m in the secondary slot and will start testing crossfire.

21/08/17 21:45
      I have found out that the fan for the secondary fan did not spin. The is a cable that have felt out. I will fix it now.

21/08/17 22:00
      In my try to test crossfire compatibility, I installed the newest AMD driver 17.7.2 but as soon it installed the driver for the secondary card it caused black screen. Only booting the computer in safe mode brings the screen back.

21/08/17 23:02
      After many frustrating hours I finally managed to get crossfire working with the r9 m290x as the primary card and my old 8970m as the secondary.
      I have flashed the same vbios on both cards so the r9 m290x shows up I device manager as a 8970m.

I first installed AMD driver version 16.2.1

Then installed AMD driver version 16.6.1 in order to play battlefield

21/08/17 23:20
      First test run in battlefield 1

21/08/17 23:40
      Battlefield 1 is flickering bad, this can maybe be solved with a new patch or driver.
      Other games I have tried is working perfect with crossfire on.

Now what I would like to try is somehow force the r9 m290x driver to be installed and see if it will make it possible to run the latest AMD driver without getting a blackscreen.

I have tried to edit the .inf file like you would do with nvidia but no luck.
      I have also tried to figure out how to edit the device id in the vbios, but I find it too complex.

• By MacFreekDotKext

I am running Windows build 16193 (Redstone 3) on a portable SSD as Windows to go. And macOS Sierra 10.12.4.
      Windows to Go was created using EasyUEFI's wintousb program.
      I have previously used Windows 8.1 to success and 10 which needed DSDT override.

This is a guide on how i get Windows 16193 working successfully with RX 480:
      1. Leave Thunderbolt cable unplugged from Mac before turning it on.
      2. Press option to load Windows to go Portable SSD Windows 10 16193 build.
      3. Enter DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 with iGPU connected only. Configure it as:
      Press 3 to enter Menu based setup PCI Compaction 》 Legacy mode checked 》 Closeunusedbridges checked 》 ignore none 》 Endpoint 》 56.25GB-36bit 》 Run compact 》 iGPU 》 force iGPU to 32-bit Chainload mbr Select Windows 10  from OS selection menu As soon as the Windows logo comes up hotplug eGPU. When OS is about to load up, change display output to Displayport.
      Voila!
      Every time you want this do be done automatically, reboot into DIY eGPU  Setup 1.35 and hit ENTER (or allow 10s countdown to do it for you) on the default option 2 "automated startup via startup.bat".

The Setup:

1. Use paperclip trick to get PSU turned on without motherboard.
      2. Two molex connectors from psu to rocketstor 6361a molex connections. To give power to 6361a motherboard.
      3. 8 Pin pcie connectors to GPU. And chassis bent to fit RX 480.
      4. Modified back of chassis to allow Displayport connection into GPU while GPU can be screwed firm into chassis.

Rocking games such as Far Cry 4 @ 4k high settings!
      Using AMD Crimson WHQL 17.2.1.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.