Jump to content
Latest News
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • AMD RX 480 Drawing Too Much Power and Potentially Damaging Motherboards?

Brian

AMD's new RX 480 $200 graphics card is out and delivers GTX 970/R390 performance as promised. However, there are some conflicting reports of the new Polaris GPU drawing more power from the PCI-e slot than it is rated. According to Tom's Hardware, the RX 480 draws 86 watts peak from the motherboard's PCI-e slot although the official ceiling is 75 watts.

AMD’s Radeon RX 480 draws an average of 164W, which exceeds the company's target TDP. And it gets worse. The load distribution works out in a way that has the card draw 86W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot. Not only does this exceed the 75W ceiling we typically associate with a 16-lane slot, but that 75W limit covers several rails combined and not just this one interface.

18-Gaming-Bars_w_600.png
    18-Gaming-Bars.png

With peaks of up to 155W, we have to be thankful they're brief, and not putting the motherboard in any immediate danger. However, the audio subsystems on cheaper platforms will have a hard time dealing with them. This means that the "you can hear what you see" effect will be in full force during load changes; activities like scrolling may very well result in audible artifacts.

After Tom's Hardware published their report, other websites such as PCPer followed up with their own testing and reported similar findings:

The results are compelling: at stock settings the RX 480 is 160+ watts on average and spikes to 170 watts several times.

View Full Size

Metro: Last Light (4K) power draw, RX 480, Click to Enlarge

Taking a closer look reveals that the motherboard PCI Express connection is supplying 80-84 watts of power over the +12V rail continuously, while the +3.3V rail hovers just below 5 watts. This is definitely a concern for the RX 480 design, but to what degree?

Additionally, there are some users that reported potential issues with their motherboards that arose after using the RX 480 in their systems:

RX480Slot.JPGRX480Slot2.JPG

Keep in mind both of those reports do not 100% confirm the problem is the RX 480 but given the reported issues with it's power draw and these users boards experiencing problems after installing an RX 480, there is a strong possibility that it is the cause.

There is a reddit thread in r/AMD on this topic and AMD's Robert Hallock has issued the following response:

1) The RX 480 meets the bar for PCIe compliance testing with PCI-SIG. //edit: and interop with PCI Express. This is not just our internal testing. I think that should be made very clear. Obviously there are a few GPUs exhibiting anomalous behavior, and we've been in touch with these reviewers for a few days to better understand their test configurations to see how this could be possible.

2) Update #2 made by the OP is confused. There is a difference between ASIC power, which is what ONLY THE GPU CONSUMES (110W), and total graphics power (TGP), which is what the entire graphics card uses (150W). There has been no change in the spec, so I would ask that incorrect information stop being disseminated as "fact."

We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it's worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue. Clearly that makes it aberrant, rather than the rule, and we're working to get that number down to zero.

/edit for absolute factual clarity.

We're awaiting AMD's full official response which should hopefully be coming soon.

UPDATE: TechPowerUp contacted AMD and received the following official response:

"As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8 Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

Edited by Brian

Report Article

User Feedback

The poster who lost a PCI-E slot is correct in that its very strange that the 2nd slot still works (PCI_E for x16 is on CPU, not southbridge though). You would expect that if one slot died that all would be dead. They both share the same power circuitry.

Link to comment
    7 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Indeed but AMD has pretty much acknowledged the issue and said they'll address it in a driver update. I'm not quite sure what they will do via drivers to accomplish this and whether it will affect performance in anyway.

Link to comment
    12 hours ago, Khenglish said:

All I can see them doing is dropping the power limit.

On July 5th they will supposedly issue a driver level fix. Anyhow, with some sleuthing I found a rogue AMD engineer discussing Polaris, enjoy:

Link to comment
    On 7/3/2016 at 1:48 AM, Brian said:

Having spanish as my first language and looking at this crap, I don't know if killing you for such a fake or thanking you for the good laugh I got out of this crap is the right choice to proceed xD
    He is saying so many stupid shit that it's simply hilarious!

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

• Similar Content

• By Brian
      So now that we've had ample time to digest all the new AMD Vega 56/64 reviews and information, lets start a discussion about them. Performance wise, the Vega 56 more or less equals a GTX 1070 while the Vega 64 lines up with a GTX 1080. However, to many people's dismay, the Vega 64 is far too overpriced with the cheapest one currently available on Newegg being an XFX one for $689 which is nearly the same price as a GTX 1080 Ti but about 35-40% slower.

In addition, both the Vega 56 and 64 use more power than their counterparts and this especially applies to the Vega 64 with it nearly consuming twice as much power as the GTX 1080. Some of the reasons I've read over the internet from Vega buyers for their purchases are the ability to utilize their FreeSync monitors as well as some Linux uses.

I know our community here also utilizes desktop GPUs for eGPU uses and AMD does support eGPU now so with that in mind, do you plan to purchase a Vega 56 or 64 and if so, why?
    • By Henrik9979

Okay here is what's going. I have a alienware m18x r1 running an amd 8970m, I wanted to upgrade it to crossfire but I could see a 8970m was more expensive than a r9 m290x
      So I decided to buy a r9 m290x and see if I could make it work in my alienware and also run crossfire.
      Even though many shops refused to sell me one because the didn't think it would work in an alienware m18x r1 only in the r2.

Here is the whole process.

19/08/17 23:15
      No post bios showing when booting, so impossible to enter bios menu, but can boot into windows 10 with no problems.

19/08/17 23:20
      Because I haven't deleted the old AMD 8970m the r9 m290x shows as a 8970m with no problems.

19/08/17 23:34
      First performance test was a success. The r9 m290x changed p-state normally. The gpu fan start spinning normally. But because of no thermal paste, the test lasted 20 seconds because the temperature raised fast.

20/08/17 00:00
      Created a backup of the vbios version
      015.032.000.004.044450

20/08/17 00:10
      Flashed a new clevo vbios version 015.032.000.003.044465
      Caused the card to be corrupted and resulted the 8 beep code.

20/08/17 00:35
      Finally managed to flash the back and return the graphics card to its original state.

20/08/17 00:50
      Flashed a new dell vbios version 015.046.000.014.045579
      No change in behavior

20/08/17 01:07
      After trying multiple vbios with no luck I finally found one.
      Dell vbios Version 015.041.000.000.044966
      Brings back the post bios screen and I can now enter the bios menu through the r9 m290x.
      Note: This vbios reduce the cards performance from 900 mhz to 850 mhz

20/08/17 01:21
      After more testing I found one that is working with no limits.
      Clevo vbios version
      015.036.000.005.044618
      This will be the vbios I will keep at the moment.

20/08/17 01:56
      I completely uninstalled the previous driver and installed the newest driver. The graphics card is recognized as a 8970m but works normal.

21/08/17 20:15
      I have inserted my old 8970m in the secondary slot and will start testing crossfire.

21/08/17 21:45
      I have found out that the fan for the secondary fan did not spin. The is a cable that have felt out. I will fix it now.

21/08/17 22:00
      In my try to test crossfire compatibility, I installed the newest AMD driver 17.7.2 but as soon it installed the driver for the secondary card it caused black screen. Only booting the computer in safe mode brings the screen back.

21/08/17 23:02
      After many frustrating hours I finally managed to get crossfire working with the r9 m290x as the primary card and my old 8970m as the secondary.
      I have flashed the same vbios on both cards so the r9 m290x shows up I device manager as a 8970m.

I first installed AMD driver version 16.2.1

Then installed AMD driver version 16.6.1 in order to play battlefield

21/08/17 23:20
      First test run in battlefield 1

21/08/17 23:40
      Battlefield 1 is flickering bad, this can maybe be solved with a new patch or driver.
      Other games I have tried is working perfect with crossfire on.

Now what I would like to try is somehow force the r9 m290x driver to be installed and see if it will make it possible to run the latest AMD driver without getting a blackscreen.

I have tried to edit the .inf file like you would do with nvidia but no luck.
      I have also tried to figure out how to edit the device id in the vbios, but I find it too complex.

• By MacFreekDotKext

I am running Windows build 16193 (Redstone 3) on a portable SSD as Windows to go. And macOS Sierra 10.12.4.
      Windows to Go was created using EasyUEFI's wintousb program.
      I have previously used Windows 8.1 to success and 10 which needed DSDT override.

This is a guide on how i get Windows 16193 working successfully with RX 480:
      1. Leave Thunderbolt cable unplugged from Mac before turning it on.
      2. Press option to load Windows to go Portable SSD Windows 10 16193 build.
      3. Enter DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 with iGPU connected only. Configure it as:
      Press 3 to enter Menu based setup PCI Compaction 》 Legacy mode checked 》 Closeunusedbridges checked 》 ignore none 》 Endpoint 》 56.25GB-36bit 》 Run compact 》 iGPU 》 force iGPU to 32-bit Chainload mbr Select Windows 10  from OS selection menu As soon as the Windows logo comes up hotplug eGPU. When OS is about to load up, change display output to Displayport.
      Voila!
      Every time you want this do be done automatically, reboot into DIY eGPU  Setup 1.35 and hit ENTER (or allow 10s countdown to do it for you) on the default option 2 "automated startup via startup.bat".

The Setup:

1. Use paperclip trick to get PSU turned on without motherboard.
      2. Two molex connectors from psu to rocketstor 6361a molex connections. To give power to 6361a motherboard.
      3. 8 Pin pcie connectors to GPU. And chassis bent to fit RX 480.
      4. Modified back of chassis to allow Displayport connection into GPU while GPU can be screwed firm into chassis.

Rocking games such as Far Cry 4 @ 4k high settings!
      Using AMD Crimson WHQL 17.2.1.

• By awittyusername
      System specs:

Chipset: AMD Torpedo
      APU: AMD A8-3500M w/ Radeon HD 6620G graphics
      RAM: 8Gb dual channel Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz (limited to 1333Mhz by hardware)
      SSD: Drevo X1 Pro 128Gb SSD
      HDD (in optical bay): Seagate 750Gb 7200rpm
      OS: Windows 10 Pro

Additional purchases for eGPU purposes:

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost edition 3Gb DDR5
      eGPU interface: EXP GDC Beast v8.4d
      PSU: ACE Artic Blue 750W PSU
      Display: 32" LG FHD TV w/ HDMI input (had spare)

My steps:

1. Remove wifi card from mPCI-e slot on motherboard (behind central cover on underside of laptop) and wrap antenna ufl connectors in tape to prevent shorts. Place these out of the way.
      2. Insert mPCI-e to HDMI cable into x1 slot (where you just removed wifi card from) on motherboard and secure with screw.
      3. Remove case from EXP GDC Beast and switch power selections switch (the one closest to the edge) to ATX power. Reassemble EXP GDC Beast.
      4. Connect HDMI end of cable from laptop to HDMI port on EXP GDC Beast.
      5. Using supplied cable for EXP GDC Beast; connect the 20 pin and 4 pin to equivalent outputs on the PSU. Connect other end to the 8 pin input socket on the EXP GDC Beast.
      6. Insert GPU into EXP GDC Beast and supply power from the PSU via 2x 6 pin connectors to the GPU. Connect GPU to display using regular HDMI cable.
      7. Plug both laptop and PSU into mains electricity and power on the PSU - EXP GDC Beast should light up (green in my case) and GPU fans should start to idle. Also power on external display and ensure it is set to correct input.
      8. Turn on laptop. Windows should boot normally. In my case Windows detected and downloaded drivers automatically for the HD7950, albeit not the most recent ones.
      9. After a required restart the external display should now be working and Windows had automatically installed Radeon Settings for me. The internal display's resolution will now be all screwed up.
      10. To prevent a black display on both internal and external with just mouse cursor - with eGPU powered off start laptop and in device manager navigate to 'Display adapters' and right click > uninstall on the Radeon HD 6620G (inbuilt graphics).
      11. Prevent Windows from automatically downloading drivers for devices (Google the process) to prevent the uninstalled inbuilt graphics drivers from reinstalling. Shutdown.
      12. With eGPU powered; turn on laptop and navigate to AMD's driver update site (internet will now have to be got to via ethernet port or using USB tethering on mobile phone). Do not download the 'Automatic Detect' tool. Use the manual search function and download the latest driver for your GPU and OS (~530Mb).
      13. Attempt to run the .exe - it will extract all the required files to a directory, make a note of this location, and then it will attempt to install the drivers but will fail with 'Error 174: Unexpected configuration' or something along those lines. This is fine, cancel out of the installer.
      14. Back in device manager; right click GPU under 'display adapters' and select 'update'. Opt to install manually and browse to the top level 'AMD' folder where everything extracted to before and let Windows search for the latest driver in there. This will update drivers to their latest version.
      15. To use the latest version of Radeon Settings that came with the ~530Mb download; uninstall the old version in the usual Windows way and in Explorer, navigate to the AMD folder again and in the search box at the top right of the window type "cnext". Run cnext.exe (or cnext64.exe if appropriate) when the search has finished and this will be the version that starts with Windows from here on in.

And that is it! Really simple, no setup1.x required, no extending 32 bit space, no chainloading

GPU-z confirms that the mPCI-e interface is running @ x1 2.0 which is good news also.

I have also purchased a x1 PCI-e 15cm extension which is basically a riser connected via a ribbon cable to a x1 PCI-e connector which I have ran through the chassis and secured the riser to the outer edge of the laptop where the optical drive used to be (since this has been replaced by a HDD caddy). Since I need the laptop to still remain portable this prevents me from having to have fragile cable hanging out the bottom of my laptop when I'm on the move. Additionally I have purchased a midi-ATX desktop tower to contain the EXP GDC Beast, GPU, PSU and cabling. Space was not a concern for me with this build, price was my main concern, and this case looks smart, has additional cooling and was cheap so suited my requirements. It also gives me a platform on which to build a desktop gaming rig down the line as and when I can afford to buy parts, at which point I will return my laptop to it's standard form.

I have successfully played BF4 on ultra settings (but with textures set to lowest setting to help with bandwidth bottlenecking) @ 1080p for 3 hours straight with no issues. I have done similar with FarCry Primal but had to reduce resolution to 720p to get a solid 60fps. Seems bullet proof so far!

If you have any questions or want me to run any tests or benchmarks then please let me know.
    • By RyanKK
      I am currently using gtx 1060 3gb with mpcie and no hotplug (or something with that name) setup due to locked bios. I am tired of using old graphic driver as it seems to be not giving the best frames for new titles and my windows constantly trying to update my driver via windows update. even if i turn it manually, it constantly brings problem. I heard this isn't the case for AMD, but which one is better for mpcie gpu setup without hotplug capability?
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.