Compatible MXM 1060 for P170EM

Hi all! I have been reading lot of posts here and looking up many dead posts or using the wayback machine. I haven’t been able to find definitive answers and didn’t want to spend money on old, used hardware without asking. 

I have a P170EM laptop with stock parts. I have gotten the Neptune 2.0 bios installed without a problem. I was also able to mod the nvidia bios to get my stock gtx675m Mxm running. So, I’m expecting to have to dye the same process for a 1060. 

but what 1060 should I be buying? I have read a few places to look for an msi 1060. Do we have a list of known, working 1060 brands I should focus on? 

I was eyeballing this gpu, but I wanted to make sure before I went and spend money on something that didn’t work. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154175190513?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GaPU6kUdR9e&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Fdw-adv3S36&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I might as well ask as well, do the Neptune 2.0 bios and the P170EM support 16GB sticks of ram? Since its got four slots, I was going to use all of them with 16GB sticks. But I was reading that the chipset and stock bios might have problems. But with the modded bios, I wasn’t sure. 

I appreciate any advice and any help on this :)

• Bios Modder
50 minutes ago, Soh5757 said:

I might as well ask as well, do the Neptune 2.0 bios and the P170EM support 16GB sticks of ram? Since its got four slots, I was going to use all of them with 16GB sticks. But I was reading that the chipset and stock bios might have problems. But with the modded bios, I wasn’t sure. 

Hi!

No, your laptop model does not support 16GB sticks of RAM. In your laptop maximum supported sticks of RAM is 8GB. This is a hardware limitation and is not related to the BIOS.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Klem said:

Hi!

No, your laptop model does not support 16GB sticks of RAM. In your laptop maximum supported sticks of RAM is 8GB. This is a hardware limitation and is not related to the BIOS.

Perfect! Awesome, thank you for the quick reply! I’m glad I asked haha :)