OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

Go the installation folder of MSI AB, open the config file (MSIAfterburner.cfg) with a text editor and navigate to the "[ATIADLHAL]" section and do the following:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA	= I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

• Thumbs Up 1

Deadbydawn the other thing you must do is disable ulps. You know open regedit click on find next option type in ulps and make sure the left column is clicked on the first tier of the different registry sections. Hit f3 each time locating the ulps registry and change it to a 0 from a 1. Keep hitting f3 and changing those to 0 instead of one til find next says it reached end of ducument. Restart and your ddone. If you decide to only overclock via vbios ulps can stay enabled. Programs like afterburner need the card read at full 3d clocks to allow it to adjust the cllocks otherwise you see what you described a slider thats essentially locked at stock clocks or lower but cant raise beyond. If you disabled ulps i apologize. I had same issue as your describing on mine at forst. Also noticed some scenarios the vram limit shows 1500 when done lije this and other times i had it show up to 1700vram. I had a bench or two at 1660vram but now for me afterburner once again shows 1500 as the limit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Svl7 I am uncertain. When i had one card no xfire cable i had to do this for afterburner to work. When i got xfire set up it was the same for me so seems regardless of xfire i needed to. Perhaps its different handling on m15x. Could you have had a few ulps entries disabled in past Marco or your certain you never needed it? I found trixx was a easy way to set ulps as long as its set to start with windows. Maybe its just M18x in dual or single card config that needed it? I know for me vbios overclock works flawless with ulps enabled and for me i couldnt change a thing till i disabled ulps for afterburner overclock to work. To be honest my 6970m's handled for me the same. Vbios no probs on ulps but raising with trixx or afterbunrer i absolutely required ulps off. So since thats not what has worked for you SVL7 i am a little stumped.

- - - Updated - - -

Could optimus have something to do with it? I know m18x doesnt have that but both use ihp could igp in the system cause these things to handle different?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait in an m17x r3 guide for 7970m i read yiu need to load the latest unlocked bios deadbydawn and go to the more advanced options that arent in the locked bios and set igp to disabled. Ill find link. Its A guide by Slickdude. Brb

Heres the link sorry it is fron NBR but it is the best 7970m guide in m17xr3 i have seen so i hope it helps. He shows you all you need for your system. Goodluck deadbydawn i hope t helps and let us know how it goes or if you have any other questions. [GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

okay lol that was a doh! moment

im guessing all this should still apply. especially the ulps issue in afterburner as that link does show you that for R3 it should be same idea except you don't need to disable your igp... i think. I think i did read you need to leave that powersaving mode off that puts you into igp to be able to overclock the cards in afterburner. doesn't your 7970m switch to igp automatically at idle? for these new R4's that is. I don't actually know for sure on the R4 so you would have to tell me... it may be something that you can disable via FN+1 or something like that.

Recently grabbed this benchmark on my system...upgraded to the GTX580m and so far I am beyond unhappy with the performance gains over the 560m, does this seem right? I have overclocked as far as I can go and even used the modified VBIOS to eliminate the notorious throttling issue but still just feel disappointed - feedback is appreciated.

post-1219-14494993309974_thumb.jpg

Something is definitely up, this is the score @widezu69 put in the charts -

http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/alienware-m17x/2370d1316477565-capture.jpg

Given your better CPU score, you should have been lineball or slightly ahead.

anyone out there in T|I land care to lend a hand resolving this I'm assuming drivers is as good a place as any to start?

Drivers definitely is a good place to start. Also check whether you have tons of unnecessary stuff running in the background. Your score is a bit off, but not completely....

Can you provide a GPU-Z log of a 3dMark11 or a gaming session? Just attach it to a post.

I guess this must have been a very inconsistent and laggy run... it's weird. I see you overclocked the card to 810MHz and cranked up the mem, but the GPU load drops after a short while, and then is 0 for a long time before the card resets the clocks to stock 3d values. Then everything looks fine, though the overclock isn't anymore... curiously the card changes back to the OCed clocks after a while and then the load drops again.

Temps are great... I'm not sure what's causing this issue. You seem to use a modified VBIOS, is that correct? If so, can I take a look at it?

Weird sounds like a throttle and driver issues. Your not reaching 78c right... they seem to drop at that temp no mattter what under load. Light load you can reach 90c plus no drops...

Id try the above linked driver. Do a full clean driver install and make sure you didnt tell any options to be turned up on the global 3d settings. Like dont force fxaa for all apps, leave AA and others at application preferences. Is this vboios the right one the goal is to have p0 and p1 state match

I guess this must have been a very inconsistent and laggy run... it's weird. I see you overclocked the card to 810MHz and cranked up the mem, but the GPU load drops after a short while, and then is 0 for a long time before the card resets the clocks to stock 3d values. Then everything looks fine, though the overclock isn't anymore... curiously the card changes back to the OCed clocks after a while and then the load drops again.

Temps are great... I'm not sure what's causing this issue. You seem to use a modified VBIOS, is that correct? If so, can I take a look at it?

Im using the VBIOS that widezu69 made available in another post here:

[Guide] 580m GTX throtting fix. No need to modify system Bios.

When i installed the card it smelled very badly of burnt electronics but i thought nothing of it....Im going to try and reach Dell for a replacement but anyone who has dealt with their tech support knows that its almost impossible to get good help from them...they will say "its your drivers" or "u need to reinstall windows" to date I have a bluetooth module that has never worked right from delivery and they refuse to replace it pointing to my windows installation as the issue....I'm fairly educated and have over 12 years experience in IT Support - I'm a harware compatibility tech for Western Digital's product testing labs, i know hardware fairly well and can tell when something is behaving oddly.....(sorry about the rant but I've had many many bad experiences with Dell support over the years)

Thanks everyone for your input and direction - it is much appreciated.....in the meantime I'm going to roll back to previous drivers.

Im using the VBIOS that widezu69 made available in another post here:

[Guide] 580m GTX throtting fix. No need to modify system Bios.

When i installed the card it smelled very badly of burnt electronics but i thought nothing of it....Im going to try and reach Dell for a replacement but anyone who has dealt with their tech support knows that its almost impossible to get good help from them...they will say "its your drivers" or "u need to reinstall windows" to date I have a bluetooth module that has never worked right from delivery and they refuse to replace it pointing to my windows installation as the issue....I'm fairly educated and have over 12 years experience in IT Support - I'm a harware compatibility tech for Western Digital's product testing labs, i know hardware fairly well and can tell when something is behaving oddly.....(sorry about the rant but I've had many many bad experiences with Dell support over the years)

Thanks everyone for your input and direction - it is much appreciated.....in the meantime I'm going to roll back to previous drivers.

I have good news for you. First to relate i have had bad experiences too but over the entire thing in the end Alienware has stood by me 100%. I had a bad set of 580m but due to them grounding out. What i recomend is hold on and stick around. Aienware has made a small division to help on forums. The support started at NBR only but after a talk with the great reps helping over there Mark the lead tech organizing the effort has graciously decided to set up support here to. It may take a little setup but eventually a Alienware rep will be able to assist without any hoop jumping and should see no prob in getting your possibly bad batch of 580m replaced easily. So stay calm hanfg here and hang tight. As soon as this initiative is set up you should be able to get some assistance and even cooler right through the forum. Cheers my friend you are surrounded by friends here and we wknt steer you wrong. Take the calm approach and you will be taken care of im fairly certain. I remember when you posted about the install. Hang in their bro!

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys !

Has anyone of you tried Counterstrike: Global Offensive on his R3 ?

It's performing good on mine, but after 10 minutes it freezes.

Using Windows 8 and HWInfo64 to speed the fans up a little bit to avoid throttling.

I think I have to get new heatpipes soon, even Counterstrike kills my GPU, lol :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post my benchmark from 3DMark11 (GPU 1000/1600) (CPU 40,39,38,38) AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4 score: P6879 3DMarks

Score

P6879 3DMarks

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

Since there is no R4 thread for benchmark, move as needed :nevreness:

• Thumbs Up 1