OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

@mw86 yeah it's great to be back :D

i just ordered an m14x-r2 with the gt650m 2gb, i7 3720, 8gb ram, killer wifi and the 1600x900 display.

now since my m17x will be performancewise faster than the 14x, i will keep that one, but i think i will sell the m11x, as the purpose of this one (being portable) will also be covered by the m14x making the m11x not needed anymore.

it's starting to be a pain, i got an m17x (to do gaming mostly stationary), coming m14x (portable gaming), a macbook pro 15 (to produce music mostly stationary) and a macbook air 13 (portably music production). daium, and that's why i don't feel like keeping the m11x as a 5th laptop ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

@mw86 yeah it's great to be back :D

i just ordered an m14x-r2 with the gt650m 2gb, i7 3720, 8gb ram, killer wifi and the 1600x900 display.

now since my m17x will be performancewise faster than the 14x, i will keep that one, but i think i will sell the m11x, as the purpose of this one (being portable) will also be covered by the m14x making the m11x not needed anymore.

it's starting to be a pain, i got an m17x (to do gaming mostly stationary), coming m14x (portable gaming), a macbook pro 15 (to produce music mostly stationary) and a macbook air 13 (portably music production). daium, and that's why i don't feel like keeping the m11x as a 5th laptop ^^

Congrats Deadbydawn I hope to hear some great stuff about your M14x when you get it :) Hope it arrives in good condition.

• Thumbs Up 1

That would exactly be it deadbydawn... Just hope its right the first time for you. Seems when they are right the first time you end up with less hassl. Seems if one thing is wrong getting that thing fixed can mean something else breaks. I think I finally have a system and components that are properly installed. No more random restarts since my gpu replacement. I got to do the install from ground up for once. I am thankful for that. My temps have been amazing had 5 laptops I repasted recently so it gave me good practice. I used Prolimatech PK 1 which I got free for repasting one of those mentioned laptops. I got a 30 gram tube for the job as compensation and its awesome I shoukdnt run out for a lkng time from now. The tube is as big as a giant marker. Its too expensive otherwise. compared to ICD and MX4 its easy to apply and has showed just as good performance that icd shows. Finally learned how to eye the right amount of paste to get decent temps from job to job :)

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

@mw86

Okay, well, then again i'm hoping... Don't really feel like going through the same again as with the M17X-R3, which finally works fine. I'm planning on upgrading to a new cpu and the 7990 in near future on that one.

Nice to hear, that's awesome with the pasting! It's really how you say...after a few repastes, you get the eye on how much is the right amount! Practice is everything hehe

Btw, i changed the bclk in Intel XTU for the first time since all those memory tests a while ago, and right after reboot, i had the RAM running ~ 600MHz (cpu-z) again. i rebooted and in the bios changed to XMP Profile 2, having them running at 800MHz again. Didn't touch the Intel XTU anymore since. What do you do to push the bclk, BUT still having RAM speeds @ 800MHz. Do you use Intel XTU or does it mess up your RAM-Speeds as well?

Added after 2 minutes:

awe, just read that it probably won't be possible to upgrade the r3 to ivy cpus. hmm, well, then - if not possible - i will probably just get a the new 7990 for it..

Edited by deadbydawn

@mw86

Okay, well, then again i'm hoping... Don't really feel like going through the same again as with the M17X-R3, which finally works fine. I'm planning on upgrading to a new cpu and the 7990 in near future on that one.

Nice to hear, that's awesome with the pasting! It's really how you say...after a few repastes, you get the eye on how much is the right amount! Practice is everything hehe

Btw, i changed the bclk in Intel XTU for the first time since all those memory tests a while ago, and right after reboot, i had the RAM running ~ 600MHz (cpu-z) again. i rebooted and in the bios changed to XMP Profile 2, having them running at 800MHz again. Didn't touch the Intel XTU anymore since. What do you do to push the bclk, BUT still having RAM speeds @ 800MHz. Do you use Intel XTU or does it mess up your RAM-Speeds as well?

Added after 2 minutes:

awe, just read that it probably won't be possible to upgrade the r3 to ivy cpus. hmm, well, then - if not possible - i will probably just get a the new 7990 for it..

I got a pair of 7970's now and i'd say its one upgrade not to miss. They run uber fast and incredibly cool.

Deadbydawn its the bios causing you trouble. it works nby a rule basically from what I noticed.

*if you change baseclock... make final adjustment confrim the baseclock is exactly as you want it. restart confirm in bios for sure its unchanged.

*next set the vram speed, volts and XMP2. hit F10 for restart

*again go back in bios and recheck XMP2 stuck as well as volts and speed . then make sure baseclock is same as set and your good to go like you noticed.

My M18x does the same thing... if you change baseclock your multipliers ram settings can default to stock and need to be reset.

I adjust baseclock with either XTU or bios and both often have same result... its just an extra step for us to reset our ram settings.

even if no new cpu the 7970m is a beast and makes any laptop a beast. maybe down the line you could put on in your M17x also :) and sell the 6990m for upgrade money ;)

btw those XM cpus for your M17x must be dropping at this point. by the end of the year who know a 2920XM es may only be $200 and an OEM $250... we can dream right? lol

• Thumbs Up 1

@mw86

nice! where did you get them, and how much did you pay?

cool, thanks a lot, i did it and it works perfectly :D thanks a lot!

yeah actually as far as i understand there is not much of a noticable difference between fast sandybridge cpus and ivybridge ones, except if you do a lot of rendering (which i dont). so i will probably just wait for a good deal on a 2920xm, which would be sweet as h3ll :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Great I think an XM cpu suits your great tweaking abilities :)

I received them as replacement gpus from Alienware. So I didn't purchase them. I never got a crossfire cable sent but the rep that assisted me gets back soon and hopefully will send it then.

• Thumbs Up 1

@mw86

nice! where did you get them, and how much did you pay?

cool, thanks a lot, i did it and it works perfectly :D thanks a lot!

yeah actually as far as i understand there is not much of a noticable difference between fast sandybridge cpus and ivybridge ones, except if you do a lot of rendering (which i dont). so i will probably just wait for a good deal on a 2920xm, which would be sweet as h3ll :D

Have patience my friend. The day will come when I shall be replacing what I have with an R4 and the 2920XM will be yours should you choose to buy it :) I promise it will be price right :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Have patience my friend. The day will come when I shall be replacing what I have with an R4 and the 2920XM will be yours should you choose to buy it :) I promise it will be price right :D

thx man :D however as patience is not really my kinda thing, i ordered an r4 in the mean time haha ^^ the m14x-r2 just came in and first thing i did was to f4ck up the mbr in order to feel not-so-bad doing a clean install on a 5 minutes old system ;-)

btw, as the first step was to change the ram with 8gb of 1600MHz hyperx, i noticed that the laptop probably would have not bootet up if i didn't change the ram first: the sticker which is placed on the lower ram-slot was wrapped around the slot and went right into it, so dell put in the first ram-thingy while pushing in the sticker along with it while therefore making sure that some of the pins of the ram aren't even touching the connectors on the interior of the slot.

stupid f4cks...

Deadbydawn what do you mean? Are you saying your M14x is broken and or they messed up your ram slot? It's not usable or it is after removing sticker?

You bought and R4? Really? that's awesome Deadbydawn. You going to buy the 2960XM for it?

Deadbydawn what do you mean? Are you saying your M14x is broken and or they messed up your ram slot? It's not usable or it is after removing sticker?

You bought and R4? Really? that's awesome Deadbydawn. You going to buy the 2960XM for it?

nah, well, it's usable after i removed the sticker. but if i would not have changed the ram first thing after i got it, i would have probably ended up with dell support right away, since it would (probably) not have bootet right.

yeah :) well, i ordered it with a 3720. now as soon as my wallet has recovered, i will consider this yah! funny thing is, at the time i ordered it (a week ago), the 7970m (which i chose), was around 30dollars more expensive than the 675m. now it has changed, it's the other way around.

In reality that's true so it's strange Dell charged more for the 7970m from the get go. 7970m should be no more than $600 with heatsink where as direct order of 675m/580m is $1200 a card + almost another $200 for two if in SLI vs $1200 for 7970m in crossfire. One 7970m beats a 675m in a lot but certain games it comes close since Nvidia cards often produce higher fps with less hardware. Overclocked it's hard to say all cards are different. Brian K will be initiating a gpu comparison project which should compare better than benchmarks like 3dmark and better than most site do with their very biased game fps comparisons. But I'd say given 7970m vs 675m at similar prices for upgrade options in your alienware you should get more performance than 675m and close to same levels as two 6990m if you overclock. But don't let others numbers make you think all of them go 1ghz core for games... Most could bench near there but not play hours on end like that. I dropped to 925core 1250 mem for now on stock volts and seems to be stable at that. Core higher I get crashes under INTENSE gameplay for hours on end. I'll try to push my ram more but stay in the power envelope provided by stock volts

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Robby I'd love t have Max Payne 3 I liked the last two games.

Guys ignore my clocks above on 7970m I'm running em on stock now as the drivers are epically unstable right now... some games clock through roof and others you'd expect no probs can't even use a 25mhz overclock. They are fina at stock.

so it has arrived. and even though i was prepared, i'm still disappointed, that it exactly looks the same as the r3. not because i don't like the looks. i LOVE the looks! i just want new hardware to look more new than the old models haha ;)))

now i'm wondering, is the driver installation procedure the same as with the r3? to use a mobile version and just install it over the old ones?

i'm really anxious about the performance. i just quickly looked into the windows performance index and under graphics it was 2 x 7.3. my 6990 had 7.6 on stock ^^

didn't do a clean install cause i just don't feel like it atm. just clean installed the 14x a week ago, so yeah.. ;-)

well anyways, i will play around a little and see what's new haha ^^