OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

• Founder
I could probably write something up, are you needing one or just want one on the site in general Michael? And CPU, GPU, or both?

I do need one, but i thought i'd also be neat to have a sticky with such info so two birds, one stone :)

I guess both CPU and GPU would be ideal :D

Yes and no, I'm not sure how the CPU overclocking will/does work in the M18x but a lot of the info will still be applicable for CPU overclocking, as far as the GPU overclocking aside from changing the clocks again it should be the same. Alot of the basic stuff in overclocking is the same with any machine, but the fine tune details specific to the machine can make or break maximum levels of performance. ;) More to come tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
Yes and no, I'm not sure how the CPU overclocking will/does work in the M18x but a lot of the info will still be applicable for CPU overclocking, as far as the GPU overclocking aside from changing the clocks again it should be the same. Alot of the basic stuff in overclocking is the same with any machine, but the fine tune details specific to the machine can make or break maximum levels of performance. ;) More to come tomorrow.

Here's some reference material on how to OC the GPUs: Miscellaneous Tutorials | Tech|Inferno

• Founder
:Banane47::Banane47::Banane47::Banane47:WOOT!!! I got me 16k vantage too:Banane47::Banane47::Banane47::Banane47:

Congrats man, that's an amazing feat for a single GPU and that 880 core makes me jealous since my current 6970Ms are shit overclockers.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my most recent runs, nothing new on 3DMark 11 but a couple nice 06/Vantage runs.

P16,189

GPU: 14,838

CPU: 22,270

p16189.th.jpg

22,534 3DMarks

SM2.0: 9,199

SM3.0: 10,212

CPU: 6,420

22534.th.jpg

107.11 BCLK :D

1865589.png

Edited by DaneGRClose
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else been overclocking and benching their M17x R3 here? Please show us some screenshots, add some videos let us know how your system has benched. cheers!

• Founder
I did a bit of Vantage benching lately mw86, mainly just been gaming and learning some new networking/server stuff. Here it is, finally hit over 15k GPU! :D

p16548g15215c22445.th.jpg

3DMarks: P16,548

GPU: 15,215

CPU: 22,445

15K!!! damn... nice clocks man

Thanks Stam, took quite a bit of tweaking not bad for a +/- 11k gpu/13k total score rig. I'm very impressed with it. Not gonna lie though, really tempted to sell it and pick up an 18x, just too tempting to be up there with the dual card configs as it's something I've never done.

LOL, trust me Jimbo I'd like to but the two things that are holding me back are the price tag of a rig to keep me competitive in the bench scores on the 18x and of course my wife due to the cost lol. We'll see what happens. Right now I'm sitting on top of every category of the R3 benching and still finding little ways to slowly increase the score so I still have some playing to do ;)

On the CPU or on the GPU? I haven't seen the limit yet, I'm running a modded sBIOS that allows me to see more stuff and the limits set is something like 110.11 on the BCLK. I think the only way I would get anywhere near that is to spray the damn CPU with liquid nitrogen the whole time lol, anything over 106.5-107 requires dice to be sitting on it the whole time.

The one thing I wish we could find out how to do is to increase the voltage on the GPU, if I could get some additional voltage at the GPU and run on DICE I think it would be possible to start getting into the 15.5-16k GPU score range and over 17k total score but it seems to stutter at the higher clocks with the current voltage.

On the CPU or on the GPU? I haven't seen the limit yet, I'm running a modded sBIOS that allows me to see more stuff and the limits set is something like 110.11 on the BCLK. I think the only way I would get anywhere near that is to spray the damn CPU with liquid nitrogen the whole time lol, anything over 106.5-107 requires dice to be sitting on it the whole time.

Temperatures go up that crazy with such a slight increase? Well you'd need additional cooling anyway with a VID mod... it's nothing you want to use permanently, but it's fun for number chasing :D

The one thing I wish we could find out how to do is to increase the voltage on the GPU, if I could get some additional voltage at the GPU and run on DICE I think it would be possible to start getting into the 15.5-16k GPU score range and over 17k total score but it seems to stutter at the higher clocks with the current voltage.

Jep, that would be great. But since no VBIOS allows a voltage change I guess the only possibility would be a hardware mod. If you happen to come across the schematics of the 6970m or a similar card, let me know.

I already took a look at the card but it's impossible to say which conducting path leads to which resistor etc... don't think I can do anything there unless I have some more information.

No the temps dont go up that bad but for some reason unless it's sitting at about 40 degrees or less over 107.0 causes it to bounce and reset when it reboots, if I have DICE on the CPU I've been able to go to about 107.5 though. The max temps I've seen even overclocked pretty heavy and with max load and no additional cooling are high 80's to low 90's.

• Thumbs Up 1