DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Hi,

i´ve received my rmbp with gt 750 yesterday and was able to test some things, but i´m not able to get windows 8.1 installed with uefi... do i need uefi or can i simple install the normal way?

When I Install via uefi everything want fine and after i reboot where i´ve to setup username and so on my keyboard and mouse doesn´t work, has anybody else has this issue?

Best regards verizon

Just install via Bootcamp...works fine for me, never tried a manual installation.

You're probably missing the drivers which Bootcamp loads onto a USB stick together with the Windows ISO. Try external mouse and keyboard and see if you come further with this.

If you can log in you install the Boot Camp Support Software from here -> Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621

Load it in OS X because you most probably won't have wifi in Windows without drivers.

I did make it the main display before I attached the eGPU but as you say now it's not working. So now the main display is my internal retina display.

Sorry if I confused you

You made an display the main display by connecting it to the MacBook directly and after that attaching it to the eGPU? That doesn't make sense…

Can you connect the eGPU after the boot into Windows? Maybe you need a powered riser or the workaround to provide more power to the AKiTiO.

Hi!

I've just started to setup my eGPU with:

Akitio Thunder 2

GTX 960 mini Gigabyte

Coolermaster 650w (Paperclip)

So my problem is I can't install the Nvidia drivers. I've put the GPU into the PCI slot in the akitio box. Then I've connected the akitio Power supply. And then I've connected the 6-pin Cable into the GTX 960 from the Cooler Master.

I'm booting up my mac (Mid 2014 13'') and pressing alt. When the bootcamp selection start I turn on the coolermaster and the akitio PSU. After that I press boot windows (windows 8.1 preview). When I'm searching for the egpu i cannot find it in the device manager either in OSX.

When I trying to install the Nvidia drivers (the newest one) it says ''Nvidia Installer cannot continue'' ''The graphic driver could not find compatible Graphics hardware''.

The fans on the GPU started the first time I booted the computer (That was in OSX) and after that thay never started again.

The akitio box blue and green light is up. I've connected the akitio through thunderbolt (ofcourse).

I've put a HDMI Cable from the GTX 960 to my external Acer minitor and made it as the main screen in windows 8.

Could you guys help me out? Why dosent my computer detect the GPU? I've tried the troubleshooting steps in the forum but it doesnt work. Help.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I'm using the same card with an Akitio, only difference is that I've got a MBPr 15" 2014 model and another PSU(which shouldn't be the bad guy here).

I've used the card both the way you try to do and it worked as well as the known powered riser way which I currently use so I could put it in a case.

I boot the following way:

- Power up the Macbook, hold Alt so the boot choice appears.

- Wait for the wifi networks to be found, then I power up my PSU(you need to power up both your PSU then, nothing regarding the eGPU is powered up to this point)

- Wait 30s or more

- Start Windows.

How did you install Windows? With bootcamp? Drivers are properly installed, especially the Thunderbolt drivers? Check in device manager if you've got an entry "Thunderbolt" under System devices.

If nothing helps, do a SMC reset and a NVRAM reset. I've had it too, that my eGPU wouldn't boot up properly and this fixed it because something was weirdly stuck in the system.

Found the solution. The GPU didn't got enough power.. That's probably why the fans never turned on. Waiting for a riser cable now. The Akitio box and the 6 pin didn't provide 120w if my math is correct. I'm going to pick up a gtx 970 so i can use two 6 pin and the problem should be solved.

Found the solution. The GPU didn't got enough power.. That's probably why the fans never turned on. Waiting for a riser cable now. The Akitio box and the 6 pin didn't provide 120w if my math is correct. I'm going to pick up a gtx 970 so i can use two 6 pin and the problem should be solved.

How that? Like I told you I've got the same components and it worked. The 6 pin provides 75W. The remaining power comes from the slot even though it's labeled as 25W only.

post-17006-14494999505559_thumb.jpg

Dosent the card need 120w to run? Hmmm I will look into your solutions!

Yes, under full load...?

You either don't read what I write or you don't want to understand what I write, I don't know.

75W by 6 pin + 45W(if 120W would be the maximum need) provided by the slot of the Akitio. The Akitio PSU provides 60W and although the slot is labeled as "25W only" it provides more than this.

Here is a video of the Rolling GPU glitches I'm getting on boot and the extreme lag, making it completely unusable, same problem with and without the egpu connected:

Detailed problem:

Computer boots, however just before loading into Yosemite the mac loading bar resizes smaller and it displays everything on screen very tiny, there are rolling glitches, and it becomes extremely laggy, just to use the mouse or moving windows around, which make the computer completely unusable. This is happening wether the egpu is connected or not, and it will not load my other displays that are connected to the computer via thunderbolt, it will only use the builtin display. It also does not display the EGPU in system profiler, but it was working and no changes were made just a reboot.

Its happened a few times with different fresh installs on OSX. I had it working fine (rendered in octane and was using 2 thunderbolt displays) for the first few boots but then this happens and it will not go away until I uninstall the Nvidia web driver, which then of course does not allow me to use the EGPU. Then if I try to reinstall the nvidia web driver and re modify the ktexts I go back to the same problem

Is anyone else having this problem or know of a solution.

Using the latest CUDA 6.5.46 driver and Nvidia Web Driver 343.02.02 on OS X 10.10.2 with a Geforce GTX 970 connectd through the Akitio via powered riser

Looks like safe mode.

Maybe a problem with your edited .kexts? Have you tried KextWizard?

No I haven't Ill give it a try. Also when I run

[FONT=Menlo]nvram boot-args[/FONT]

in the terminal I get this output:

[FONT=Menlo]boot-args      <[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]UNPRINTABLE> nvda_drv=1[/FONT]

Is that right?

ok I ran the KextWizard and also this terminal command

[FONT=Menlo]sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1"[/FONT]

I was using that without the "nvda_drv=1" part

Now I'm getting the proper response in terminal:

[FONT=Menlo]boot-args[/FONT]             [FONT=Menlo]kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1[/FONT]

And everything is working again

i recently ordered a Gigabyte GTX 970 to use as an EGPU.

I connected the GPU to the pe4h. Plugged in the EC2C to my Sonnet thunderbolt to expressCard adapter (the Pro version, PCI-Express 2.0 compatible) and via the minihdmi cable of the EC2Cconnected it to the PE4H.Then connected the thunderbolt cable from my macbook pro to the Sonnet adapter.Plugged in the extra PCi-E power cable that the GPU needs.Turned on and the card worked fine. The fans spin and the led lights up but there is no signal on the external monitor. In the control panel it only shows that i have one display which is the internal display of the laptop itself. Please help biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.Nem8pNRYrb.png

Specs:

Macbook Pro mid 2012(thunderbolt v1. @10gbps)

DVI monitor

PE4H-EC2C

power supply

Sonnet thunderbolt to expressCard adapter

Problem:

No signal on both windows and mac os.

Has anyone had any success with daisy chaining an external thunderbolt hdd drive to the thunderbolt display or Akitio2/similar unit whilst having the egpu connected (powered off first). I am trying this and can only get the hdd to work sometimes - but it has to be connected to the 2nd TB port only...

Meaning I can only use either my eGPU + TB Display OR eGPU + TB HDD.... I need to use both EGPU + TB Display + TB HDD external

Currently running Win8.1+Akitio2+970GTX+TB Display - all running perfectly in windows. Only have boot issues (black screen) when I connect the TB HDD to the back of the Apple Display or the Akitio2 unit. Using the GrubEFI mod.

Any guidance/comments welcome!

Has anyone had any success with daisy chaining an external thunderbolt hdd drive to the thunderbolt display or Akitio2/similar unit whilst having the egpu connected (powered off first). I am trying this and can only get the hdd to work sometimes - but it has to be connected to the 2nd TB port only...

Meaning currently I can only use either my eGPU + TB Display OR eGPU + TB HDD.... I need to use both EGPU + TB Display + TB HDD external as I need to use 2 seperate TB ports on the MacBook Pro Retina.

Currently running Win8.1+Akitio2+970GTX+TB Display - all running perfectly in windows. Only have boot issues (black screen) when I connect the TB HDD to the back of the Apple Display or the Akitio2 unit. Using the GrubEFI mod.

Is Optimus incompatible with TB Daisy Chaining?

Any guidance/comments welcome!

I have set up my MBPr mid 2014 15 inch with Intel Iris Pro with the Akitio thunder2 and a gtx 660ti from nVidia, however after all drivers were installed and all kext files were edited, I'm still not able to use the card as preferred. It is being recognised as shown below.

post-33588-14494999525048_thumb.png

I'm able to use the external GPU to render in blender using CUDA, but it's not able to use it as an outputting device nor as a default card. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

post-33588-14494999524835_thumb.png

Hi Guys,

i´ve managed yesterday to get my egpu working, thanks for all your support. Will exchange my gtx 970 to a gtx 980 because of the memory issue.

Does the Akito power-supply provide enough power to use the gtx 980 with the 2 pcie power plugs from my powersupply? Or do I´ve to mod akito or use an pcie riser with power plug? Will overclock the gtx 980 baddly :-) which one will the best way to go?

Best regards

Verizon