Alienware M18x review featuring M17x-R2/R3

Brian

Should we use the Catalyst 11.5 driver and re-run the benchmarks?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should we use the Catalyst 11.5 driver and re-run the benchmarks?

• Yes, the latest drivers will give me the best idea of where these systems stand.
    • I'm not quite sure, reply in post.
    • No, I think releasing them all with Catalyst 11.4 results is fine.

• Founder

Ok guys here's an update on what we'r doing: Initially we had all the benchmarks ready for R2 and R3 using Catalyst 11.4 and we just needed to do the M18x to finish off the results and then do the write up. However, with the release of 11.5, we're seeing a large enough gain that we feel it would be better to re-run the benchmarks on the R2/R3 with the latest drivers. That way you guys have the most up to date results.

So what do you think? Would you be happier with the 11.5 results or want to settle for older Cat 11.4 results that you could get your hands on sooner? Difference in releasing the review will only be about 2-3 days.

Edit: The review is out : http://www.techinferno.com/2011/07/07/alienware-m18x-review-the-fastest-18-notebook-in-the-universe/

Edited by Michael

I am all for 11.5 but if you guys use results from both 11.4 and 11.5 on all systems then we really will see a lot of useful data such as the gain from 11.4 to 11.5. I believe you should bench the little you need in 11.4 and do all new tests with 11.5 on all the systems. That's just my opinion and am indifferent to the end result.

Yeah if the only run for 11.4 to have results accross the board maybe Brian can throw it back on his M18X just for the couple of benches quick.. could really show how ATI improves performance on almost every driver release.

I voted 11.5. Does 11.5 show improvements over 11.4 enough to make a differance? If so I might take one of my days off for some good ole R2 benching if I can throw a few points on top of my top scores. Not going to be able to hold a candle to the Avenger, but still might be some good fun. If I remember right I was close to 22K on Vantage on the R2. Not sure if 11.5 would be able to make up for the +/- 300pts I was from 22K. But I'd definately like to see the review based on the most recent drivers, since that is what most people will be interested. Especially if it maximizes performance at stock clocks. Thats what the Aleinware crowd would want. ;) IMHO anyhow. Either way, looking forward to the review. An 18xR2 may be in my future. Especially since from the ORB Futuremark benches, the site lists the mobo as 18xR1, I figure an R2 is sure to come down the line. Ok I'm ranting, enough beer for me. 11.5! :D

Welcome to the Tech | Inferno Nosferatu. There seems to be a delay in the review due to gpu 2 overheating issues.

Thanks mw86, been here a while now and prefer it to NBR. These guys seem to know what an enthusiast wants/looks for in tech.

I'm on 11.5a RC3 at the moment but I think I'm going to drop to the standard 11.5 to see where I fit in with my clocks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder
So guys, how does the review going?

Would like to know the progress.:)

Benchmarks are nearly done, we still need to take some photos/vids and then do the write up. I might order a temp sensor gun but I'm not sure how much people would really care about temps since the system feels fairly cool to the touch.

Benchmarks are nearly done, we still need to take some photos/vids and then do the write up. I might order a temp sensor gun but I'm not sure how much people would really care about temps since the system feels fairly cool to the touch.

Good to hear that, this review will be a great indicator on the systems' pros and cons.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

LOL yeah it would take "a while", we will stick with the 11.5 for now cause it is too much to do all the benches on all 3 laptops again and then redo all the graphs and editing....