Just bought this for my incoming M18x

Brian

• Founder
Yeah, I realise that but for the money I am paying, the premium I am paying, and the work I am doing I expect and need it to be 100%.

I need to make package files and compile code many times an hour, sometimes 50 times or more, and over the course of a day or a week it adds up very quickly to be a massive unnecessary timesink.

For gaming, no one is gonna miss it but for my work it is a dealbreaker unfortunately.

-Ash

For the last 5 months I have been using Eclipse and Java a lot, for the research I am doing on neural networks I had to generate hundreds of small csv files constantly for the experiments and I have it benchmarked to see how much faster I would create those files by applying my SSD mods, compared to have everything stock, the time required was less than half, so personally I saw a big difference, I also saw difference when I was using my momentus xt as storage for those files instead of my SSD.

Also I found that by doing the mods I get increased temps but for instance I could install Visual Studio in less than half the time and unzip files twice as fast, so for me with the retention mod it is really worth it, since I get better overall performance plus 100% of my SSD speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm about as well-versed as a gerbil when it comes to the RAM upgrade options for the m18x. I got 2 DIMMS 8GB 1333 through Dell, if I wanted to add more, would I be able to? I recall reading on one of the forums that the 16+ option was for the 1600 speed ram only or some such, or was it my imagination? If not, then I might as well get some from newegg too.

I see we have a small bio/biomed community here. :) I do research in biophysics and I mainly use SSD as I need to load/save a lot of images where cells are moving on the screen (about 1000 files per experiment, and we have lots of those), then find the trajectory for each cell. TBH, Core2Duo ULV @ 1.8GHz on my laptop can choke a little if I throw too many images so I do the most extensive tasks at home, on the Mothership. :) (Or I bring it to my office occasionally.)

I hate the fact that the most software I use is written in the damn Java and takes so much RAM, and we're planning to do something that will probably be more CPU and memory intensive so I'll probably have to grab 8-16GB. With my own money. My... own... money. -.-

Speaking of memory upgrades, I noticed higher capacity memory has somewhat higher CAS latency... anyone has some numbers as to what impact that has on gaming or anything else?

True Unreal cas latency on ram uprgades, what are the effects. Plus what latencys do the stock ram have at 1333 vs ram upgrade to 1600? Or compared to the aftermarket brands like using HyperX?

Thanks Ash! With the M17xR3 bios can we play with latency settings on ram and get an improvement on stock ram types? In other words can you get a small boost by adjusting your latency in the bios or is it dangerous and will not work? Or would that only be recommended on aftermarket performance parts like HyperX?

I'd take the 300 GB, I have one myself... it performs great, and 50 GB more SSD space is always useful :D

$350 for 300GB is fantastic imo.

Ya that is pretty awesome im looking at 300 for 128gb

what is the max sata3 speeds you can get out of an ssd and does it scale uniformly? if a vetrex 3 gets 550mbs, does our laptops get 75 percent of that or does it scale different, and each drive performs different percentage wise?

• Founder
my second ssd isn't showing up in windows, but its the in the bios and device manager. whats going on guys?

post-3-14494987905411_thumb.png

As you can see from my screenshot, I have highlighted with yellow the external disk I have connected via eSATA, it is recognized by the system but it's not visible under Computer, the reason is that the file system is EXT4 and it has Linux installed, so just make sure you have formatted the disk with NTFS for instance.

Windows are distracted by your avatar.

Run "Disk Management" or "Create and Format your disk partitions" from the Start menu. The disk is probably detected but it has no drive letters assigned. Create a partition there and assign a drive letter.