Alienware M18x Rumors & Discussion Thread

Brian

• Founder
I noticed that if you configure with SLI/CF the power adapter stays 240w unless you go for 2920xm. that sucks for a lot of reasons and I hope that it's just a configurator error.

If that remains unchanged I guess many people will have to buy it extra... that would really suck...

• Founder

If that remains unchanged I guess many people will have to buy it extra... that would really suck...

Brian just checked. it does change to 330w, they must have fixed it after I checked it yesterday.

Hi guys, first post here, damn I want this thing!

I'll have 2630/SLI 485's/4gb thanks, WITH ability to use intel IGP. I'm quite happy to carry it as a general use laptop, but only if it has minimum 2 hrs of battery. :04:

• Founder

I'll have 2630/SLI 485's/4gb thanks, WITH ability to use intel IGP. I'm quite happy to carry it as a general use laptop, but only if it has minimum 2 hrs of battery. :04:

welcome Jimbo! glad you could finally make it :)

why are you so set on the 485s? 6970s won't be good enough? :)

and looks like IGP ain't gonna happen..

• Founder

Welcome to T|I Jimbo. That sounds like the ideal setup but I'm doubtful about the IGP at this point since Dell hasn't mentioned it in any of their gallery pictures or in the configurator. It's probably a P67 chipset.

• Founder
Welcome to T|I Jimbo. That sounds like the ideal setup but I'm doubtful about the IGP at this point since Dell hasn't mentioned it in any of their gallery pictures or in the configurator. It's probably a P67 chipset.

hehe, they keep the IGP for the M18x R2 man... they must reserve something good for the next model to advertise you know... :P

• Thumbs Up 1

IGP stands for: Integrated Graphic Processor, it's an Onboard Graphic Card that we could use to browse the net on battery for 6 hours or more with an M18X full packed of amenities on the other hand and with which we could only browse the net for half an hour on battery if there is (was) no such IGP inside...

It depends on which chipset they use for the M18x. If they use the PM67 chipset, it probably won't support IGP. A modified HM67 or QM67 chipset (modified to allow for dual discrete GPUs) would support IGP, or one of those nVidia chipsets like in the M17x-R1.

• Founder

Well PM67 hasn't been announced so its likely they will use the desktop P67 chipset. If Dell uses P67 we also lose QuickSync since that is a feature of Intel's onboard graphics. Our only hope is that Dell convinced Intel to let them use Z68 chipsets early on in the M18x since Z68 allows for IGP support + CPU overclocking. The release date for Z68 desktop is supposedly May 8th. Knowing Dell, they probably went ahead with P67 and plan to release the revised M18x-R2 with Z68 in August/September..those shady mofos. I'd rather they pushed M18x back to June and made it with Z68.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
My first post as well.

I'm like everybody else very exited about this bad boy.

Does somebody know what desktop gpu you could compare the 6970s to?

Welcome to T|I skaun. The desktop GPU equivalent is the AMD 6850.

Well PM67 hasn't been announced so its likely they will use the desktop P67 chipset. If Dell uses P67 we also lose QuickSync since that is a feature of Intel's onboard graphics. Our only hope is that Dell convinced Intel to let them use Z68 chipsets early on in the M18x since Z68 allows for IGP support + CPU overclocking. The release date for Z68 desktop is supposedly May 8th. Knowing Dell, they probably went ahead with P67 and plan to release the revised M18x-R2 with Z68 in August/September..those shady mofos. I'd rather they pushed M18x back to June and made it with Z68.

+1 this.

it's close enough to may that Z68 should be the board, but with that earlier bios from dell support labelled both M17x R3/M18x in description (which is HM67 :confused:), and still no mention anywhere of battery life or igp, there's no telling which of the board options they've run with. sux if they went P67 and there's no igp on this first revision, but if they surprise everyone and include Z68 that'd most definitely push the 'kid in me' over the top (lol, impulsively overlooking any negative aspects like size/weight factors which would certainly go against my needed usage :P) in favor of the larger 'avenger'...

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

Yep like I wrote over on nbr:

Z68: CPU OC'ing, IGP/Quick Sync, Mixing discrete + IGP for encoding (e.g. using Lucidlogix Virtu), HDD/SSD Caching, SLI/Xfire.

P67: CPU OC'ing only, SLi/Xfire.

Pretty big difference between the two chipsets. The Z68 is supposed to be available May 8th. If Dell somehow struck a deal with Intel, they could have conceivably included it in M18x. However, seeing that NONE of the gallery photos advertise battery life, I'm pretty certain we're stuck with P67 and Dell will probably use Z68 in M18x-R2.

• Founder
A retailer here in AUS has just listed Z68 motherboards as available 28/4 - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 Motherboard [GA-Z68X-UD7-B3] - $389.00 : PC Case Gear

That's sooner than I was expecting, maybe allows for some lingering hope of Z68 in M18x...

I hope somehow Dell secured them from Intel early on but I doubt it. :(

Keep in mind Aus is very close regionally to the manufacturers, and our distributors here have family ties over there. This is why we get this kind of stuff so very early. We even got the HD5870m crossfire in the R2 earlier than anyone else.

-Ash

• Founder

Uh oh some M18x pages are gone but M14x and M11x-R3 are on sale in some countries. Watch dell not introduce m18x tomorrow, i'll be relieved and worried--worried that they changed their mind or there's a problem with the design or relieved that they decided to go with z68.

The US M18x page is still empty, the Japanese one has a bit of info there: http://www.dell.com/jp/p/alienware-m18x/pd?refid=alienware-m18x&s=dhs&cs=indhs1

7.5 more hours...if all 3 are introduced, this thread will expire.