M18x now configurable on Canadian site.

Brian

• Founder

I asked a friend of mine that worked at dell about M18x's price in the US. He said a 6970M xfire system with base configuration and 1080p should run close to $2500 with tax...yikes! That's $700 more than I sold my R2 for and this system will have an inferior screen, base sandy bridge CPU, less ram, no blu ray, no intel wifi. The biggest advantage will be the GPU power which should be about 20-30% faster than 5870M Xfire. But if you consider that 5870M xfire pretty much runs any game out there with max settings, woudl you really notice the difference between say 80 fps and 100 fps?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Well I plan to get the base config so I didn't ask about options. The best bet is to do the same as me and get base everything and upgrade it yourself. Get 1600 mhz ram + 2920xm and you'll have a super fast system on your hands at a fraction of the price dell would sell it at.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I plan to get the base config so I didn't ask about options. The best bet is to do the same as me and get base everything and upgrade it yourself. Get 1600 mhz ram + 2920xm and you'll have a super fast system on your hands at a fraction of the price dell would sell it at.

So maybe order one with lowest specs and add the Ram and 2920XM... do you mean add 6970m crossfire too or buy that minus everything else and add the 2920XM?

• Founder
So maybe order one with lowest specs and add the Ram and 2920XM... do you mean add 6970m crossfire too or buy that minus everything else and add the 2920XM?

Like stam said, getting the dual GPUs is critical because aftermarket sales is expensive, warranty isn't guaranteed and most of the time you have to wait months.

• Thumbs Up 1

It does sound pricey. But keep in mind that you are getting an equivalent of a pretty good desktop performance, with all the newest features. Whether you actually *need* it :D over M17x-R2 that's a different matter. But if you're replacing an old computer - why not?

• Thumbs Up 1

Always go for the newest updated stuff, we will know what the discrete Nvidia cards will be in a few days. I am quite surprised too no SLI, probably because of power issues? I wish there was bloody rgbled damn you dell, there going to have bring it out eventually. I feel like going for Nvidia this time lol but that AMD 6970 cross-firex for only 150 is a real deal breaker!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well besides xfire 6970s only thing I planned on was a 2720qm.

How much can you find 2720qms for online and were is the best place to look?

Oh, and my r3 came to 2200 after tax with 2720 and 6970 and 1080 screen.

300 more for dual gpu and aluminum body plus better build quality seems like a good deal lol!

Edited by e46justice
R3 comment
  • Thumbs Up 1

So what is our officially recommended config? Dual 6970M, Lowest available Ram, Lowest CPU, Intel Wireless Card, Standard Hard Drives not SSD. All other upgrades buy later not from Dell.

• Founder

^^^yes that, the rest can easily be upgraded and they will cost less when purchased separately.

On a side note, in case they offered a 120Hz display I would go with that even if the 3D is not working

• Thumbs Up 2