M18x now configurable on Canadian site.

Brian

Just talked to my Rep, It is coming out they cant say when, they will cancel my order with no problem but:

1.m18x will have less ram memory ( I don't see 16 gig option)

2.The only difference is 18.4 screen and no 3D

3.No blue ray player option.

4.Can't select the ATI Card's because it requires a more powerful power supply, question is are we gonna get charged extra for it?

5. Alienware Rep confirms imminent launch, but we still gonna have to wait a month plus for our systems.

Giving us the final question, Is the M18x-r1 worth the hassle and wait?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Dual 6970m costs only $150 more than a single 460m????

m18xcfoptionprice.th.png

Yeah I hope the price is that low during the final launch!

Just talked to my Rep, It is coming out they cant say when, they will cancel my order with no problem but:

1.m18x will have less ram memory ( I don't see 16 gig option)

2.The only difference is 18.4 screen and no 3D

3.No blue ray player option.

4.Can't select the ATI Card's because it requires a more powerful power supply, question is are we gonna get charged extra for it?

5. Alienware Rep confirms imminent launch, but we still gonna have to wait a month plus for our systems.

Giving us the final question, Is the M18x-r1 worth the hassle and wait?

1. It should have the same 16 GB limit as R3.

2. 18.4" should make it similar in size to the R2 17" screen

3. It will definitely have a blu ray rom.

4. I'm guessing they will toss in a 320W PSU when xfire is configured on launch day (they never charge for something that is required to run the system).

As for whether it's worth it or not, I think it depends on your needs. The M18x will be constructed of anodized aluminum + have the same rubber coating as the R3 so overall it will be a much better constructed system. The trade off is that it will also weigh more than the R3, cost more and likely be louder due to an extra fan. You also get 6970m Xfire performance which should obliterate the single 6970M in the R3.

I'm on the fence right now, I might sell my R3 to Michael (who is leaning towards R3 more than M18x) or whoever else that is interested and then purchase the M18x for myself when it's launched this month.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Yeah I hope the price is that low during the final launch!

I'm on the fence right now, I might sell my R3 to Michael (who is leaning towards R3 more than M18x) and then purchase the M18x for myself when it's launched this month.

LMAO I kinda expected you to say that :D

320W or 330W?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Dual 6970m costs only $150 more than a single 460m????

m18xcfoptionprice.th.png

LMAO I kinda expected you to say that :D

320W or 330W?

I think it should be 320W but could be 330w too. I really don't need the M18x's power, weight and noise to be honest. The R3 fits me just right for my use but I'm a new tech junkie and I know it'll be difficult to resist. So in the end I might cave and sell the R3 for $100 less than I paid to Michael or someone else and then get that M18x. My other R2 + 920xm sale is pending so we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm I'd be on the fence too about the M18x with crossfire 6970M. 160Gb memory bandwidth x2. Woot! But no 2920XM, but the R3 can? M18X can have the 2920XM but it's not recomended. Alas, I'm happy with my M17x R2 that costed double the price of a discounted one.

Hmm. This is giving me a very strange feeling.

PROS:

1: Looks like the 6970m crossfire need a bigger PSU that isnt available yet - which means we should be able to shoehorn in some XM CPUS!

2: It appears that they have re-used the same basic chassis design as the m17xR2, with a bigger screen! I like it much more than the M17xR3.

3: 6870m crossfire is an option.

CONS

1: No 485m sli option. Not even a 460m sli option. WTF? Lets hope they update that.

2: If they have re-used the m17x r2 design but put in a larger screen (18.4 inch screen fits the 17x chassis easily) then it is likely they re-used the motherboard layout as well. This means only two dimms for ram!

3: Probably using the 960sp version of the 6970m, which is unnecessarily underpowered compared to the 1120sp version (which is fasterish than a 485m!)

My dealbreakers:

1: I need 485m sli. Or I wont even look at this thing. I already have a sketchup design for a mITX shuttle-type box that is 160mm x 160mm x 330mm. Its pretty small, and fits a full size PSU, full size tower cooler, and 2.5 slot 580m. If I dont get 485m sli im building it instead.

2: 2 dimms. I am actually running out of ram on a daily basis with 8gb. I need 16gb minimum now.

3: If it is the same design as the m17x R2, the cooling is going to be WTF loud again. I can mod it again, but I shouldnt have to. I want cool, quiet computing. Asus did it on their crappy 17inch gamer lappy, alienware can do it.

Lets hope more info comes in, but I am hopefuly about the 330/320w AC adapter - if we get it, we have the TDP for a 2820qm + 485m sli OR a 6970 crossfire + XM cpu.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

I don't think it will be limited to 2 dimms nor have the same chasis as the R2. It should be closer in design to the R3 and I think this time Dell is going to position all the fans + sinks below for easy access rather than go with the R2 design. The chasis will also employ rubber coating so it's going to be quite a change from R2. I'm anticipating the following:

1. 320-330W PSU with 6970M Xfire

2. No 485M support.

3. 18.4" that is relatively teh same size as the 16:10 17" found in R2.

4. Anodized chasis w/rubber coating. Same may hold true for lid as well.

5. 16 GB memory capacity like R3. they'll put the extra dimm slots under the keyboard like R3.

6. Widi supported like R3.

7. HDMI In.

Basically a better performing, better built version of the R3.

• Thumbs Up 1

We will be able to get up to 32GB of memory and the extreme 2920xm. Nice. I dont see the 485 so that bites.

They arent ready for us yet since the first link you can build the system with xfire 6970 but it says not compatible with 240watt psu, however there is no other choice of psu listed.

Alienware Canada M18x

Edited by GetFound
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's strange there's no nVidia option when most of Dell's discrete lineup uses an nVidia GPU. Also the M11x and M14x uses nVidia GPUs. I think it'll be added later on though or someone would do it themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1