Just for fun, to those who know how to use 3D modelling software.

Hey this is a public commissioning. I commission anyone who knows how to use 3D modelling software to design a MXM 3.0b waterblock complete that covers the core, the chips and perhaps even the voltage regulators (not essential).

The image in my head is similar to the GPU waterblocks nowadays. A slimline profile with the nozzel connections at the side. After which, I may fund an actual prototype.

No, this would be for the M17x R3 which has an easily accessible GPU and the heatsink. Both can be removed together without disturbing the paste job as well. My idea is: to have a 580m permanently attached to a waterblock. The tubes will run from the back out into a radiator/res/pump combo this one looks nice and compact: Swiftech MCR-X20 Drive (Rev.3) Radiator Series - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit Then I'd have another graphics card with an ordinary heatsink for quick changing when I want portability :) Doable you reckon?

I can do this for you, but it's a very time-consuming task and I can't do it for free... I designed a custom heatsink for the M15x, which should soon get milled (finally, LOL), and it took me about 24hrs totally to finish the CAD file, maybe even more... the most difficult task is to properly measure all the distances on the GPU.

To do this I'd need access to a 580m, or at the very least an M17x R3 heatsink... or you do all the measuring and I create the 3d model, but if I don't do the measuring myself I absolutely can't guarantee that it'll fit.

I know. I'm not asking anyone to take time out of their lives do this. As the title says just for fun, that's what it will be. The measurements don't even have to be accurate. I just would like to see this envisioned. Plus waterblocks are very difficult to design with the hollowness and the water spillways etc.

PS svl7, I have a spare M17x R3 heatsink which I would send to you with my spare M15x one if you want. I'll also get you some measurements too when I get the time.

I think I will see what I can come up with just for the pure fun factor, no clue how long it will take me since I never did this type of thing before but have used most of the software required to do this. Think it would be cool to design something like this. No clue how long this will take me as I'm on a trip right now. going to check our your links and see if I can do something like this.

Could we find measurements online some place?

well posting over my phone from my alien so will be home in a few and really see if I can do this, need something to do.

Here's a little sketch, no real measurements, just some estimates. I think the hoses need to come from the top, one directly over the GPU, the other probably in the corner between the VRAM modules.

That's only the copper block, the cover could be made of plexiglass, including the mounting threads for the hoses.

I have never used a watercooled system, so I've got no idea whether there are some common tricks to optimize the flow or improve the cooling... the gaps for the water are probably too narrow atm, but it's really just to visualize a possibility.

post-80-14494992325608_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494992325808_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey that looks pretty cool. A search on google for GPU waterblock reviews may bring up some results where reviewers have opened up the waterblock. Could be worth taking a look:

Koolance VID-NX580 GeForce GTX 580/570 Water Block Review - Up close with the VID-NX580 - Legit Reviews

Danger Den DD-GTX470 GPU Water Block - The Danger Den DD-GTX 470 Full Coverage GPU Water Blocks :: TweakTown USA Edition

• Founder
No, this would be for the M17x R3 which has an easily accessible GPU and the heatsink. Both can be removed together without disturbing the paste job as well. My idea is: to have a 580m permanently attached to a waterblock. The tubes will run from the back out into a radiator/res/pump combo this one looks nice and compact: Swiftech MCR-X20 Drive (Rev.3) Radiator Series - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit Then I'd have another graphics card with an ordinary heatsink for quick changing when I want portability :) Doable you reckon?

i don't think its doable for a couple reasons:

1. Unless you power it externally, you'd need a 5-12v low power pump which would probably not move the water enough to be efficient.

2. Radiator wouldn't fit anywhere in the R3 so placing it externally like you want might work but would defeat the purpose of having it.

3. Radiator still has to be actively cooled and again, the question of placement comes into play unless its placed outside making it impractical.

You'd need a system casing designed to accommodate these parts. The only area that comes close to serving as a bay is where the hard drives go but then you'd need to sacrifice at least one HD to place a tiny pump there. Even the thinnest tubes would still be too thick to close the bottom door so you'd have to leave it exposed at all times. If you want to see a water cooled laptop, check this out, its a few years old now: CES 2009: Fujitsu's water-cooled notebook tech [day 3] | ZDNet

My suggestions for a WC system would to be design something similar to that Fuji setup.

If you want an ugly and impractical external setup, someone has done it already, check this out: Watercooling a laptop on the cheap & here's instructions on making a radiator that can attach to the existing cooling fins: Make a removable laptop water cooler! And other cool devices

Edited by Brian
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I said, the waterblock is the only thing that would go into the laptop. The tubes would trail out of the machine to an external pump/res/rad combo and fans which will all be power externally. The water block would be permanently attached to the GPU and the whole kit would be permanently tethered to the desk. If I ever than to use my laptop anywhere other than my desk, I can just put in a spare GPU and the default heatsink.

I've taken everything you have said into account months ago. I was going to do this with the M15x and had it all planned out.

I think this is a cool idea, but I have to ask the obvious (to me) question.

It's likely to cost a stack of cash to do this, for arguably not much gain (When I watercooled my 580 desktop cards I only got another 30-40mhz). Why not build a watercooled desktop if you've got the budget and space at home for this kind of setup?

• Founder

And another thing you need to consider is that you need to place your laptop somewhere higher because the tubes coming out of the waterblock won't go out straight from the back, rather from the bottom and make a curve towards the back. So I would expect two stands, one at each side of the laptop to keep it higher about 2 inches from your desk. Probably 2 books will do the trick temporarily.

I think this is a cool idea, but I have to ask the obvious (to me) question.

It's likely to cost a stack of cash to do this, for arguably not much gain (When I watercooled my 580 desktop cards I only got another 30-40mhz). Why not build a watercooled desktop if you've got the budget and space at home for this kind of setup?

Yeah I know but I'm just looking to see if this could be done :)

And another thing you need to consider is that you need to place your laptop somewhere higher because the tubes coming out of the waterblock won't go out straight from the back, rather from the bottom and make a curve towards the back. So I would expect two stands, one at each side of the laptop to keep it higher about 2 inches from your desk. Probably 2 books will do the trick temporarily.

Yeah I know this too, I don't intend to have the laptop flat LOL

i like this idea but instead of gpu water blocks i would like to see a cpu one.

I've been looking at possible CPU blocks and as the screws are not equally spaced out, more rectangular than square configuration, this waterblock fits the bill:

GPU-220 (Vid/MB) [no nozzles] - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

It has movable fins and should be able to fit any screw hole configuration.

I'll come up with a hand draw sketch with what I think the waterblock should look like. After all, this is just for fun, I have not reason to have faith in this actually getting anywhere. Just a side project :) Still working on acquiring a M6600 IPS screen to test in the R3.

If you have easy access and don't need it to move you could use one of the universal GPU versions (it'll be too big, but much cheaper). The designing of water channels is much harder than it looks, modified off the shelf would at least get you good blocks to start (without massive expense).

EDIT: If you want to throw around ideas for desktops I'm your man. :D (@svl7 too).

EDITEDIT: LULZ, just realised the block you linked is exactly what I was talking about. Great minds think alike.

Edited by Jimbo

i don't think its doable for a couple reasons:

1. Unless you power it externally, you'd need a 5-12v low power pump which would probably not move the water enough to be efficient.

2. Radiator wouldn't fit anywhere in the R3 so placing it externally like you want might work but would defeat the purpose of having it.

3. Radiator still has to be actively cooled and again, the question of placement comes into play unless its placed outside making it impractical.

You'd need a system casing designed to accommodate these parts. The only area that comes close to serving as a bay is where the hard drives go but then you'd need to sacrifice at least one HD to place a tiny pump there. Even the thinnest tubes would still be too thick to close the bottom door so you'd have to leave it exposed at all times. If you want to see a water cooled laptop, check this out, its a few years old now: CES 2009: Fujitsu's water-cooled notebook tech [day 3] | ZDNet

My suggestions for a WC system would to be design something similar to that Fuji setup.

If you want an ugly and impractical external setup, someone has done it already, check this out: Watercooling a laptop on the cheap & here's instructions on making a radiator that can attach to the existing cooling fins: Make a removable laptop water cooler! And other cool devices

I've had 2 Fujitsu laptops and loved them they are very fantastic a N6010 and N6470 both of which where amazing i could only imagine how nice that N series water cooled Japan only model must of been.