Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Tech Inferno Fan

eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Recommended Posts

anyone gets good performance while playing Euro or American Truck Simulator? my eGPU (GTX 660) usage is always 99% while low CPU usage (~5-20%)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MY HP 520
Processor    Intel Celeron M Processor 410M (1.46-GHz, 533-MHz FSB, 1-MB L2 cache)1
Chipset        Mobile Intel 940GML Express Chipset
Graphics     Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, up to 224-MB shared system memory

And PC card slot, i buy connector to connect express card(USB 2.0)
are my eGPU will run slow?

may i use my internal monitor if i use GT 740?
and may i do DSDT override for more tolud?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, I have a slight issue that I don't think I've seen before. I had to replace the PSU for my eGPU yesterday because it was shutting down if any static discharge was even within 5 feet of it. I chose a Corsair RM750 because I plan on putting the eGPU and PSU into a new PC in the months ahead and wanted something that would work for both uses. Now, when I boot up my laptop (Asus G74sx-BBK7) the internal fans run at full speed despite normal CPU temps. The weird thing about this, is that if I restart the laptop it will not happen again, only if the laptop has been off for more than a few minutes will it boot with fans running at full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Everyone,

 

I have a serious problem with my EGPU:
my setup:

Lenovo t420s
i5 2520m

8gb ram

intel hd 3000

windows 7 64bit professional

 

egpu:
ATX PSU 460W
PE4c V3.0 (Express Card)
Nvidia GT 430

 

I installed the egpu via express card, and fixed the error 12 with the setup 1.30.
Everything worked fine, until my laptop stopped working.

After a restart, setup 1.30 and the DM(Device manager) cant find my graphic card.
i tried everything... I tried every combination with the sw1 and sw2 switch. Sometimes when sw2 is on 2-3 and sw1 is on 1 or 2 my system is like super slow, like everything works in 1s steps.
and even than the DM cant find the graphic card.
I switch the Egpu to force pwr on, nothing changes.

I switch the EC in Bios from automatic to generation 1, no results.

I set up a start up passwort, no results.
I plugged the EC in the laptop before/after/during start up and win 7 logo.

 

I would change the jumpers, but i dont know how, there is no manual. I spend hours to find a solution.

 

somehow i cant upload the pictures, but D2 and D3 are alway green when the EC is plugged in the Laptop.

 

Thank you very much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have same thing with Dell E6430.

3Dmark13 FireStrike benchmark was about 1000 points lower with this quadcore i7-3740QM cpu in Dell, than it was with my Lenovo X230 with just i5-3320M.

Same eGPU (PE4L 2.1b+ GTX670 OC).   Ok... bench is lower, no big deal, lets try games.

Tried loading up RYSE- Son of Rome. The FPS was so slow and so much frame drops with Dell e6430- unplayable. Didn't matter that i set ingame graphics to low.

5 minutes later my eGPU setup was connected to Lenovo X230- flawless gameplay. So smooth. Could even play with High graphics option!

So definetly something wrong with Dell +eGPU...

And I bought that Dell for 450 euros (near maxed out specs tough:16GB ram, 256GB SSD,i7-3740QM)! imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fsslcdn.techinferno.com%2Femoticons%2Femoticons%2Fbiggrin.gif&key=f1effe3481d11d02379937fd642a08b4c36bb96fbedf15589de9e4df8c6605b9 To be better eGPU platform than X230...  as I read the E6430 performance thread before buying the Dell.

I was about to do same step, swapping my t530 (igpu only)connected to GTX960 4g msi to e6430… cause the games was stuttering with high frame rate too(60\35fps).. But was only a problem of Intel hd4000 driver, after updated it the t530 flies at ultra setup on fhd monitor.. Recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all-

I'm a little new to this topic and I have driver questions. I designed myself a board to accomodate an MXM GPU and I'v e installed a Nvidia Quadro K1000M in it, connected to a Thinkpad X61 (C2D T8300 with X3100, so no Optimus but that's ok) running Windws 7 64-bit.

I was able to install all the latest Nvidia drivers, but I'm not able to start any of the tools (nView, Control Panel).  I get the C++ Runtime error. I'm working on updating all my drivers, but so far no luck.

So my questions are:

- Do I need special / modded drivers for this?

- If I have no Intel HD, can it be made to work at all? I'm not interested in Optimus / mirroring to the internal LCD, just need the new VGA port provided by the card.

- Anything I might be missing regarding driver installation and setting up?

Let me know if I can provide more information, I'd be happy to do so.

Thanks!

 

Rafael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a T500 lenovo laptop and bought recently a egpu: pe4c V3.0
(Trough expresscard slot 34mm) the psu is a LC 6550 GB2 550 Watt and the gpu i wanna use is a ati radeon hd3650 his icec. When i plug in and start the laptop at the same time as the egpu it will boot and shuttdown infinitelly, so i first start the laptop and then a few seconds later i turn on the egpu, everything is fine and the psu/ gpu is turnning. The gpu is turnning crazy fast. As soon as i logged in at windows 10 nothing happens, no new device, nothing, egpu is still turnning (the fan). I opend device manager to check if everything was ok but there my problem starts. Pci to pcie Bridge (i think its called like that in english because im german) no driver found error code 28, the driver slot is ricoh (something) II ) i upgradet the driver cause it was a version from 2006 now its from 2008. reboot..... Still not recognise the gpu, f**** i think the problem is because the pci to pcie bridge (or something like that has not found any drivers. I right clicked that and tried to search a driver.... Not found, and now? please help wath do i do wrong? I upgradet the bios to the newest: v3.23 6Fxxxxxx (note, i didnt plugged in any monitor to the gpu, maybe that would change something if i would do it) i actually need a egpu cause on win 10 my Intel gpu driver dont support opengl anymore (wddm 1.1 driver) 
Specs:
Lenovo t500 
Internal gpu: intel gm45 
Cpu intel core duo t9900 3.06 ghz 
8gb ram 
(Egpu has only dvi)
The gpu on the adapter isnt even showed om device manager

Why does my profile say "Noob"? Lol

ok anyone can solve that egpu problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29. Februar 2016 at 5:13 PM, Mongocom said:

I have a T500 lenovo laptop and bought recently a egpu: pe4c V3.0
(Trough expresscard slot 34mm) the psu is a LC 6550 GB2 550 Watt and the gpu i wanna use is a ati radeon hd3650 his icec. When i plug in and start the laptop at the same time as the egpu it will boot and shuttdown infinitelly, so i first start the laptop and then a few seconds later i turn on the egpu, everything is fine and the psu/ gpu is turnning. The gpu is turnning crazy fast. As soon as i logged in at windows 10 nothing happens, no new device, nothing, egpu is still turnning (the fan). I opend device manager to check if everything was ok but there my problem starts. Pci to pcie Bridge (i think its called like that in english because im german) no driver found error code 28, the driver slot is ricoh (something) II ) i upgradet the driver cause it was a version from 2006 now its from 2008. reboot..... Still not recognise the gpu, f**** i think the problem is because the pci to pcie bridge (or something like that has not found any drivers. I right clicked that and tried to search a driver.... Not found, and now? please help wath do i do wrong? I upgradet the bios to the newest: v3.23 6Fxxxxxx (note, i didnt plugged in any monitor to the gpu, maybe that would change something if i would do it) i actually need a egpu cause on win 10 my Intel gpu driver dont support opengl anymore (wddm 1.1 driver) 
Specs:
Lenovo t500 
Internal gpu: intel gm45 
Cpu intel core duo t9900 3.06 ghz 
8gb ram 
(Egpu has only dvi
The gpu on the adapter isnt even showed om device manager

Why does my profile say "Noob"? Lol

ok anyone can solve that egpu problem?

 

Edit: ok now i have a monitor /tv and windows still doesnt recognise my egpu even with fresh install win 10 ...device manager is like "nah i dont see shit" .. Ok do i need a driver to make it work or a special program ? Because theres not even a video output at all ...i tried it with an other gpu (wonderfull ati x1500 asus reference ) yes it was laying for a decaide in my room but no video output . Im going to test a GEEEEEEEEEEEforce 210 from nvidia, just courious if my laptop is allergic of ati / amd or is my egpu adapter broken ? what do i need to do ? 

ok i found an option in the bios " boot with default gpu or trough express (thing) " i domt wanna really try it because im scared of never seeimg video output at all ..so is that the solution or os it bullshit? Do i need setup 1.3 (i dont know if lenovo has whitelist on my t500 

plz help.  ; (

thnks 

Edited by Mongocom
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my first post in here. Anyway Mongocom, you should try using external monitor (maybe you have it lying around in your house?) because occasionally most egpu would sent information to external monitor. I wasn't aware that my egpu would be working to external monitor instead of laptop lcd, so you should give it a try.

 

To anyone who is having difficult time converting gpt to mbr process, you should follow this post http://www.firewing1.com/node/610#gpttombr

A fair warning, you should have your partitions backed up before you attempt your conversion..I just happened to get my partition data corrupted :/ 

For more info on backup: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/mbr2gpt.html#gpt2mbr  (follow in the very bottom of the page: Final conversion thought)

I strongly you to create a saved backup!!

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2016 at 11:03 AM, yeahman45 said:

in 

 

 

it says WWAN mPCIe slots with only USB pins connected (pin 36+38) rather than PCIe pins (23, 25, 33, 35) cannot do a eGPU.

 

how can i find out if my slot is compatible or not?? find attached photos of my miniPCIe slot and wifi card:

 

56a3109d5cf64_20160117_104446(Large).thu56a3108d592a6_20160117_104154(Large).thu

 

 

 

thx answering my question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, yeahman45 said:

 

thx answering my question?

Your mpcie looks very similar to mine, I doubt this will definitely work.

-------------------------------------

 

 

Also I managed to convert my gpt into mbr through this video 

 

By installing rufus program and windows copy in your usb, this will highly guarantee to make your pc to recognize mbr partition format. Last time, I didn't used this software and my pc hardly recognize my mbr partition set from hdd. [This specified drive is not convertible...] For anyone who is having really hard time trying to convert gpt to mbr, this video might work well for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cpar said:

Your mpcie looks very similar to mine, I doubt this will definitely work.

-------------------------------------

 

 

Also I managed to convert my gpt into mbr through this video 

 

By installing rufus program and windows copy in your usb, this will highly guarantee to make your pc to recognize mbr partition format. Last time, I didn't used this software and my pc hardly recognize my mbr partition set from hdd. [This specified drive is not convertible...] For anyone who is having really hard time trying to convert gpt to mbr, this video might work well for you.

You are saying it is going to work? Or it will not? What adapters are compatible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.2.2016 at 10:02 PM, aldimeola81 said:

 

I was about to do same step, swapping my t530 (igpu only)connected to GTX960 4g msi to e6430… cause the games was stuttering with high frame rate too(60\35fps).. But was only a problem of Intel hd4000 driver, after updated it the t530 flies at ultra setup on fhd monitor.. Recommended.

 

Hmm... I have the latest HD4000 update from Dell website, but they have very old version of HD4000 drivers. But as soon as I try to install official Intel drivers for HD4000 from Intel webpage, they dont install as my system says it is uncompatible with my version of HD4000 ... Any thoughts how to go around it?

Edited by viilutaja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, viilutaja said:

Hmm... I have the latest HD4000 update from Dell website, but they have very old version of HD4000 drivers. But as soon as I try to install official Intel drivers for HD4000 from Intel webpage, they dont install as my system says it is uncompatible with my version of HD4000 ... Any thoughts how to go around it?

 

 

are you sure the hd4000 is enabled inside windows? maybe the bios disable it when see a egpu connected, try to install intel driver without the egpu and connect after, bye.

 

what score do you receive from x30 and e6430 on 3dmark06? bye.

 

Edited by aldimeola81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yeahman45 said:

You are saying it is going to work? Or it will not? What adapters are compatible?

Honesty you're comparing PCIe to mPCIe, so most egpu adapters should work with mPCIe (the one you have). But keep in your mind, you won't be able to connect to wifi. You should able to use USB wifi adapter to connect to your internet (I bought NetGear A6200 refurbished and it's pretty nice plus it's cheap). Also, I won't guarantee you will successfully use your egpu in your laptop due to mPCIe whitelist (some companies block the connection from your egpu adapter to mPCIe port). You need to do some research on your laptop whether if it is whitelisted or not. Also, I recommend donating to Nando for 1.30v egpu setup because this will virtually eliminate the problem of whitelist and ability to handle your egpu crash (it happens in my game all of the time lol). You can pay him for $25 and I strongly you should get one if you needed one.

Also I have my picture of mPCIe so you would know your egpu adapter should able to work.

PLEASE NOTE: you need to find out your laptop is whitelisted or not!!

Optimized-20160302_095824.jpg

Edited by cpar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have successfully installed the eGPU with my HP Probook 6570b under windows 10. The card in the adapter is Geforce GTX460. It got about 2200 points at videocardbenchmark.net, the iGPU in the laptop (HD4000) got about 450. Yet, when I am converting video using the eGPU and its CUDA function the rendering speed is only 2x faster than that of the iGPU. Why is this? During game test the fps is 1000% better, but video rendering is not that much faster. Moreover when only the eGPU is present, the speed is 10% worse than when the iGPU is prsent, too, like in Optimus mode. Can this be improved somehow? 

Edited by bencuri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cpar said:

Honesty you're comparing PCIe to mPCIe, so most egpu adapters should work with mPCIe (the one you have). But keep in your mind, you won't be able to connect to wifi. You should able to use USB wifi adapter to connect to your internet (I bought NetGear A6200 refurbished and it's pretty nice plus it's cheap). Also, I won't guarantee you will successfully use your egpu in your laptop due to mPCIe whitelist (some companies block the connection from your egpu adapter to mPCIe port). You need to do some research on your laptop whether if it is whitelisted or not. Also, I recommend donating to Nando for 1.30v egpu setup because this will virtually eliminate the problem of whitelist and ability to handle your egpu crash (it happens in my game all of the time lol). You can pay him for $25 and I strongly you should get one if you needed one.

Also I have my picture of mPCIe so you would know your egpu adapter should able to work.

PLEASE NOTE: you need to find out youinr laptop is whitelisted or not!!

Optimized-20160302_095824.jpg

 

Thx for your reply. How do I find out if my mPcie port is whilelisted? What is Nando setup? It costs only $25? Was thinking about buying the Gdc Beast which is a little more expensive at $35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aldimeola81 said:

are you sure the hd4000 is enabled inside windows? maybe the bios disable it when see a egpu connected, try to install intel driver without the egpu and connect after, bye.

 

what score do you receive from x30 and e6430 on 3dmark06? bye.

 

I am sure. I have disabled the dGPU (Nvidia NVS5200M) and booted into a Windows with eGPU disconnected. HD4000 confirmed working, then plugged in eGPU (GTX670). Get's detected nicely.

Have not done the 3DMark06 test. Don't see the point. My GTX670 scores are lower in FireStrike 13 test than with Lenovo X230.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, yeahman45 said:

 

Thx for your reply. How do I find out if my mPcie port is whilelisted? What is Nando setup? It costs only $25? Was thinking about buying the Gdc Beast which is a little more expensive at $35

 

Please refer to this page for more information on DIY egpu 1.30v setup. It has all of information you need in there. If you're getting GDC beast then you can find the list of compatible models in this website (in product detail section, just keep scrolling down until you see the  "Laptop models we already tested list:"). http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

Edited: Forgot to add in link

Edited by cpar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you sure the hd4000 is enabled inside windows? maybe the bios disable it when see a egpu connected, try to install intel driver without the egpu and connect after, bye.

 

what score do you receive from x30 and e6430 on 3dmark06? bye.

 

I am sure. I have disabled the dGPU (Nvidia NVS5200M) and booted into a Windows with eGPU disconnected. HD4000 confirmed working, then plugged in eGPU (GTX670). Get's detected nicely.

Have not done the 3DMark06 test. Don't see the point. My GTX670 scores are lower in FireStrike 13 test than with Lenovo X230.

Have you seen if the PCI speed is 2.0 when playing 3d games? You can see it into gpuz while nvidia logo is rotating into nvidia control panel. Set profile to maximum performance and be sure you have the battery installed and the right power supply, Try resetting bios to default official ROM before with no overclock , and try with windows 8.1 clean install. ,

Can you post your firestrike result with both PC? Bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pci-e speed is 2.0, that is confirmed.

 

Both scores are with max GPU OC.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/6345009/fs/7139888

 

As You can see that the FPS is much slower with quadcore CPU in E6430, altough the CPU score is much higher. It seems that Optimus compression doesn't kick in with E6430.

 

Here is the score with X230 vs E6430.

With X230 GTX670 is at default clock speeds while with the E6430, it is heavily OC'd and X230 easily beats the E6430 score.... :S
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/6343962/fs/7661183

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, viilutaja said:

Pci-e speed is 2.0, that is confirmed.

 

Both scores are with max GPU OC.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/6345009/fs/7139888

 

As You can see that the FPS is much slower with quadcore CPU in E6430, altough the CPU score is much higher. It seems that Optimus compression doesn't kick in with E6430.

 

Here is the score with X230 vs E6430.

With X230 GTX670 is at default clock speeds while with the E6430, it is heavily OC'd and X230 easily beats the E6430 score.... :S
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/6343962/fs/7661183

 

Pls run 3dmark06 on the E6430 and post the link to the results. Are you connecting the external LCD using the eGPU rather than notebook? That ensures direct video traffic out rather than using NVidia Optimus which slows things down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I can ran the 3DMark06 on both machines.

I am using external LCD on both occasions (X230 and E6430).

 

EDIT:

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm06/17867406/3dm06/17867396

 

 

Also 3DMark13  FireStrike score. (eGPU is not OC'd, altough it shows like that for some reason in the lower score which is E6430! ).

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/7762670/fs/6343962

Edited by viilutaja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, viilutaja said:

Ok, I can ran the 3DMark06 on both machines.

I am using external LCD on both occasions (X230 and E6430).

 

EDIT:

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm06/17867406/3dm06/17867396

 

 

Also 3DMark13  FireStrike score. (eGPU is not OC'd, altough it shows like that for some reason in the lower score which is E6430! ).

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/7762670/fs/6343962

 

3dmark06 (DX9) shows across the board performance improvements for the E6430 over the X230.

With 3dmark11/13 (DX11) we do see the E6430 is slower though unlike the 3dmark06 results, several months separates the benchmark runs. They are not run back-to-back.

 

If back-to-back DX11 results  continue to favor the X230 may I suggest doing an OS reload just in case something is amiss with the DX11 subsystem?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.