eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks. I'll do so in a second.

It's hard to take screenshots without del-key ;) thats why i just added a few images. TOLUD shouldn't be a problem on MBP right?

Edit: Uploaded the full diag folder MBP-R_GTX560ti_TH05_diag.zip (374,64 KB) - uploaded.to

BTW: just read up the thread and saw some problems using eGPU Setup combined with new MacBooks. I had the same problems while mounting the image (actually i couldn't launch eGPU Setup at all because of an OPCODE failure) but had almost no trouble using an usb flash drive.

How did you do to put it on a usb flash drive? I''ve a macbook pro late 2011 15".

I would be truly greatfull if somebody could write me a guide or something how to use egpu setup, because when I try things in it right now it says "PCI bad command or filename"

//BR

Patrik

//BR

1. get a tool to create a bootable usb drive (eg. win32 image write) and use "eGPU-Setup-110b5.img" as source (which should be in c:\eGPU)

2. start your system with the usb drive plugged in and alt (option) - key pressed to fire up bootcamp

3. select your usb drive

4. start your egpu (make sure your egpu isn't started while you select the boot partition or put your TH05's SW1 to 3 which will give you 7 seconds for selection. else your mac will freeze)

5. hit "2" to enter menu based setup (nothing else or you'll be stuck aswell)

6. in menu based setup you're fine using arrowkeys and so on; besides the fact the build in text editor wont work. so you'll have to edit your files in windows

compact will popup errors and hang scanning all devices anyways

deactivating dGPU will result in hang too

Try this but i heared some guys had no problems using egpu setup on mbp 2011.

Try this but i heared some guys had no problems using egpu setup on mbp 2011.

Thanks but will this solve my problem when the computer hangs when doing compact?

Or do i need to do my own pci file?

i really dont know how to use egpu setup so please if somebody can tell me

Alright, I have bought a gpu, which is xfx radeon hd 6790. I have installed the desktop driver version, as I don't know how to force install the mobile one. The only issue is I can't make it work on external monitior. Care to help me, please?

Hi everybody!

I've got everything up and running and made some tests. Only on internal screen, sorry.

Specs:

Lenovo x220 (max config) i7-2640M\8GB\HDD320GB

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition 2 GB (without overclocking)

3D Mark 11 (basic version, default preferences) 6034 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,LENOVO 4286CTO score: P6034 3DMarks

RE 5 (all preferences are on max, AA x4, V-Sync is off, 1366x768) 74,6 fps

post-6196-14494993835766_thumb.jpg

Sleeping Dogs (all preferences are on max, V-Sync is off, 1366x768) min 40,9 max 68,8 fps

Battlefield 3 (FRAPS, all preferences are on max, V-Sync is off, 1366x768) min: 30fps - max: 93fps

Left4Dead2 (FRAPS, all preferences are on max, V-Sync is off, 1366x768, “The Parish”) Min: 48fps - Max: 101fps

Keep in mind my notebook specs and that all test were ran on internal screen, are all this results OK?

Thanks

Alright, I have bought a gpu, which is xfx radeon hd 6790. I have installed the desktop driver version, as I don't know how to force install the mobile one. The only issue is I can't make it work on external monitior. Care to help me, please?
Can someone answer my post please?

Alright, just because I know how irritating it is to not be helped when others are.

I can't help you, (I haven't even set up my 1st eGPU) but I know that if I could help you, I'd ask:

1. Did you follow everything posted in "First Steps" in the OP?

2. Did you go through the FAQ?

3. Can you ask for help as described in the FAQ?

As for DNA Drivers, they're apparently not going to be up for a while, as per their Facebook page.

And if somebody could answer mine would be so great! I really would like to get this running!

Same goes for you. You haven't mentioned what OS you're using... if you're running Mac OS, maybe this will help.

Alright, just because I know how irritating it is to not be helped when others are.

I can't help you, (I haven't even set up my 1st eGPU) but I know that if I could help you, I'd ask:

1. Did you follow everything posted in "First Steps" in the OP?

2. Did you go through the FAQ?

3. Can you ask for help as described in the FAQ?

As for DNA Drivers, they're apparently not going to be up for a while, as per their Facebook page.

Same goes for you. You haven't mentioned what OS you're using... if you're running Mac OS, maybe this will help.

Runing win7 64bit

I've got everything up and running and made some tests. Only on internal screen, sorry.

Specs:

Lenovo x220 (max config) i7-2640M\8GB\HDD320GB

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition 2 GB (without overclocking)

3D Mark 11 (basic version, default preferences) 6034 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,LENOVO 4286CTO score: P6034 3DMarks

RE 5 (all preferences are on max, AA x4, V-Sync is off, 1366x768) 74,6 fps

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5300[/ATTACH]

Keep in mind my notebook specs and that all test were ran on internal screen, are all this results OK?

The internal screen tests of my i5-3320M 2.6 [email protected] DIY eGPU implementation got RE5-var-dx9-1280x800 of 79.7 and 3dmark11 of P5050. Your results indicate x1.2Opt is engaged and your GTX670 a superior performer.

And if somebody could answer mine would be so great! I really would like to get this running!

Setup 1.1x is confirmed to have issues when used on a Macbook platform. Namely, need to do a USB installation and the pci compaction doesn't work right. Those problems have been passed on to the developer of the compact utility.

Setup 1.1x is confirmed to have issues when used on a Macbook platform. Namely, need to do a USB installation and the pci compaction doesn't work right. Those problems have been passed on to the developer of the compact utility.

There seems to be some success installing Windows in EFI mode (without sound as usual). Another blog about TH05 and MAC.

Hey nando,

I have sent you a PM, care to reply it?

Hi nando,

Looks like I'm stuck. I have purchased HD 6790 eGPU, the drivers is detected and installed the desktop driver version, and I have connected it to external screen using all kinds of outputs, from vga to hdmi, but there was no signal available. Is there something wrong I did there? Is there some kind of driver that will make it work?

Thanks.

You said earlier you were using a DVI-to-VGA adapter which are sometimes problematic. Try connecting to a LCD with HDMI or DVI input and work from there.

Looks like that I have encountered a code 31 error for HD 6790. How can I solved it, please?

Edit: Here's the error that my dell laptop recieved:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Now that I've got a bit of spare time again, I'm following up a problem of mine from a while back. Namely, getting things running on the internal monitor (Elitebook 2540p with a GTX560+PE4H). From previously:

... it seems that acceleration works fine so long as an external monitor is set as the primary display. As soon as it is disabled or unplugged everything seems to switch back to the internal GPU.

The troubleshooting FAQ mentions that the eGPU should be plugged in at boot (pressing F8 to pause the startup sequence), however I've tried this multiple times without success.

This appears to be the case if you attach your eGPU after Win7 boots. So either hotplug your eGPU at the Win7 bootloader menu (hit F8 to pause bootup).

Perhaps I'm doing the eGPU power-on & connection in the wrong sequence? However I feel I've tried every possible combination and nothing so far has worked. Has anyone else had the same problem and solved it?

What am I doing wrong?, and what else should I be trying?

There seems to be some success installing Windows in EFI mode (without sound as usual). Another blog about TH05 and MAC.

Yeah I saw that, the only thing is that if i can't use the Intel driver then i can't use optimus which i really would like to.

So I guess i am stuck then?

The biggest problem is that there isn't a good guide how to use egpu setup, as I asked before do i need to compile my own pci file?

//BR

I'm trying to do the DSDT override, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to load my .aml into the system registry.

What I've done:

1. Since Tech Inferno Fan's link in the DSDT override was locked (no blame meant, since you've been banned there), and kizwan's expanded steps and video tutorial have been deleted, I finally lucked out on xxlukexx's link to http://olarila.com/dsdt/DSDTEditor_Linux_Windows.zip.

2. The DSDT Editor included is rather intuitive; I extracted my DSDT, modified it (using Tech Inferno Fan's suggested 11.75 GB space), and compiled it with no problem.

3. When errors showed up, I pressed the button "fix errors", which causes it to search the directory of the Editor for patches, use them, then re-compile, now with no errors.

4. I then saved my edited DSDT file as HPHDX16T.aml.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, 6 GB RAM, other specs don't seem relevant for this question.

The only problem is that if I try to use Tech Inferno Fan's directions in the DSDT override, I have nothing to input the code into. I've tried iasl.exe, but it only flashes onscreen for a second and disappears. Trying to run both the DSDT Editor and iasl.exe as an administrator doesn't help. What am I missing?

Did anyone tried a egpu to a asus zenbook ux32vd? Im considering to buy this laptop, because it gorgeous IPS screen.

Will the ux32vd be able to run a egpu?

I found a picture with bottomplate removed, it seems like theres only one (used) wlan slot(usable mpcie slot?).

post-5898-14494993839621_thumb.jpg

Another question will it possible to make a diy connector for the pe4l cable? (I mean just cutting of the cable, and use anything like this?)

If theres a way to make a custom connector for the cable, then its possible to make only a small hole in the bottomplate, to let the cable come out.

----------------

update:

teardown guide from ifixit says link:

the Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / Bluetooth 4.0 card comes out of its mini PCI Express socket. Inside we find two Intel ICs:

• Intel 82550 Fast Ethernet Controller
  • Intel 82549MDE Wi-Fi controller
    Does this mean that LAN functionality of this laptop is also placed/integrated on the intel mpcie card? So removing this card also removes LAN functionality?

Yeah I saw that, the only thing is that if i can't use the Intel driver then i can't use optimus which i really would like to.

So I guess i am stuck then?

Stuck are all MBP owners with iGPUs + dGPUs. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1263534 for a progress status. First thing is to get Optimus running with your GT650M dGPU.

The only problem is that if I try to use Tech Inferno Fan's directions in the DSDT override, I have nothing to input the code into. I've tried iasl.exe, but it only flashes onscreen for a second and disappears. Trying to run both the DSDT Editor and iasl.exe as an administrator doesn't help. What am I missing?

Run those commands in a DOS prompt screen (WIN+R, type 'cmd').

Did anyone tried a egpu to a asus zenbook ux32vd? Im considering to buy this laptop, because it gorgeous IPS screen.

Will the ux32vd be able to run a egpu?

I found a picture with bottomplate removed, it seems like theres only one (used) wlan slot(usable mpcie slot?).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5313[/ATTACH]

Another question will it possible to make a diy connector for the pe4l cable? (I mean just cutting of the cable, and use anything like this?)

If theres a way to make a custom connector for the cable, then its possible to make only a small hole in the bottomplate, to let the cable come out.

Noone has done a DIY eGPU implementation on a Zenbook ultrabook. You may be the first.

See http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2158-diy-egpu-guide-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13.html for a very nice mPCIe implementation using a custom underside access panel to the mPCIe slot. A PE4L 1.5, or PE4L-L060A has a socketted PM3N option making it easier to just connect/disconnect a mHDMI cable. Problem there is it can only run at pcie 1.x Gen1 speed, as opposed to the pcie 2.0 Gen2 that your system is capable of. In which case you'd want the PE4L-PM060A 2.1 wired as shown in the link above for best performance.

Can I please ask a simple question?I have searched this forum and others regarding a working egpu on a Macbook Pro and i'm really really confused.Would a 13" Retina Macbook Pro running through bootcamp (Windows 7) using either a ViDock or Echo Express Pro with whatever interface to work with thunderbolt (TH05?) on a 660 / 680GTX, etc work using the Macbook Retina's screen? That's all i want to know. Cheers.

Can I please ask a simple question?I have searched this forum and others regarding a working egpu on a Macbook Pro and i'm really really confused.Would a 13" Retina Macbook Pro running through bootcamp (Windows 7) using either a ViDock or Echo Express Pro with whatever interface to work with thunderbolt (TH05?) on a 660 / 680GTX, etc work using the Macbook Retina's screen? That's all i want to know. Cheers.

The 13" rMBP has a HD4000 iGPU only. So then as long as a NVidia Fermi/Keplar eGPU can be detected and made to work on the Thunderbolt bus then the NVidia Optimus drivers can render the image using the eGPU but display it on the internal LCD. Shelltoe's advised a few posts back about getting the eGPU detected:

Sandy/Ivy bridge systems without iGPUs and/or using AMD card owners could try LucidLogix Virtu software. It too can render using an eGPU but display to the internal LCD.

Run those commands in a DOS prompt screen (WIN+R, type 'cmd').

I knew I forgot to mention something in my post! (slaps self for foolishness)

I already tried that (and tried it just now, both as you directed and as an administrator).

DOS spits out "'foobar' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Any ideas? (I should mention I'm not that familiar with command prompt, so maybe I'm doing something wrong there. You just type in the command, right?)

I just bought a PE4L 2.4a and attached it to my Dell Latitude E6410 (i5 520M, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 32bit) and my Radeon 4870.

At first I got the code 12 error in device manager, tried freeing space by disabeling hdmi audio which did not work. Then I tried the DSDT override, which also did not work (every time I had the card connected during booting it got stuck right before all the color dots would form the windows logo and would give an BSOD). So I removed that from registry and then found out that:

If you connect the card (and have it running) before starting the laptop, the Intel HD card will automatically be disabled and the eGPU will even show the bios logo etc. and will work like a charm (BF Play4Free finally on max instead of very low :bananadoggywow:).

This also means there is no hot plug&play (if you disconnect the card the monitor will just go black (as the Intel HD card is disabled) and if you connect it after booting it will get the code 12 error).

Hope this might help some folks running similar setups...

cheers =)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.