OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

Hi

Just wanted to start by saying this thread has been immensely useful in helping me make my mind up on whether to go for an M17x, particularly the advice to call up Dell and haggle!

However, I still do have a niggling question... but first some background.

I'm upgrading because my old laptop was stolen - Samsung R710 with 1920 x 1200 screen and 9600M GT card. Truth be told, aside from the odd bluray DVD, I could barely run any games at the native resolution and almost always dropped it down lower.

I know the M17x is CONSIDERABLY more powerful, but I'm trying to decide if there is a significant difference between going for the 1600 screen option or the 1920 option. Is getting the 1920 res version essentially pointless as I'd need to lower it like I did to get newer games running at full detail, or does the M17x have the horsepower to handle it?

To give examples, at the low end of the scale I'd be playing WoW, and at the high end of the scale I really would like to give Crysis a go, at full detail!

So if I don't go for an internal bluray drive (I already own an external one, and wouldn't watch blurays on it anyway, I'd use my TV) is it a needless expense to get the better screen, and at worst could it be detrimental to overall performance to do that when compared to the 1600 option?

Thanks in advance :)

• Founder

Welcome to our forum @indigo_dc , the R3 depending on the configuration (ie GTX 580M) will be able to handle most games at 1080p even at full detail and maintain good FPS at the same time. You can take a look at our review and specifically the benchmarking section and see how the R3 performs with a 6970M here. Now don't expect games like metro 2033 to run at 1080p and maxed out details on a single GPU laptop where even CFX configurations are having a really hard time... Also keep in mind that the 1600x900 display will have lower brightness and lower color gamut compared to the 1080p one so keep that in mind as well.

Thx for the reply - I actually forget to list the spec I was initially aiming at.

i7 2630QM

460M GTX 1.5gb

8gb RAM

256Gb P810 SSD

17.3" display - either the 1600x900 or the 1920x1080!

So I was not going to go for the top gfx option - would that make a significant difference do you think?

Heading over to the full review now, ty :)

Edited by indigo_dc

• Founder

Well with the GTX 460M you won't be able to max out the graphics at 1080p especially when the game is very demanding, so in your specific case you would be better off with the 900p as long as you don't mind the lower brightness and color gamut

On the subject of the RAM, would there be much discernible difference between 6gb and 8gb configurations? I also have a vague memory that it is better to run the same size ram modules in each slot, as opposed to the 2gb/4gb combo in the 6gb offering - I admit I'm out of touch having not built a pc for 4yrs+ now! Or is that not an issue?

Basically I'm now looking at getting the best spec parts which are harder to replace, so I can upgrade the likes of the HDD to an SSD and boost the ram at a later date.

Photoshop primarily, I do quite a lot of hi-res photo editing for print when not gaming. My last machine had 2gb and when manipulating several hundred MB stitched panoramas would frequently go out of memory. Using a readyboosted USB stick helped slightly but it was painfully slow. So I figured more was better - but I see your point, 4gb at this stage can easily be boosted later if needed and is double what I did have on a faster machine to boot!

Very good point :)

• Founder

Yes for Photoshop you would require RAM but you can start with the standard 4GB option since it is the cheapest and then you can get a better aftermarket one if you see that you need more than that.

Sold :)

I must admit the more I look at this machine the more I want it. Now trying to find reviews of the 3d option, which I normally think is just a gimmick, does anyone have any experience of it actually working? Is it worthwhile? A colleague of mine says games are one area where 3d actually half decent, but I've only found one review so far online. It claimed it was quite good, but with the 460 card it really started to struggle on newer games.

Curse me for even thinking about it, but what's the general opinion on 3d for games?

Never had the chance to try 3d gaming, but it's supposed to look pretty good in some games. Anyway, I'd recommend getting the 120Hz screen, it is brighter and has reportedly a better picture quality.

Yeah, I can understand this, but keep in mind that a LCD upgrade at later is not very easy and cost pretty much, whereas the CPU can easily be upgraded anytime. You can find QS 2820QM on ebay for $330 or unlocked "kind of 2920xm" ES CPUs for about $274. Just my thought.

3d looks pretty good in games, but for me atleast it gave me headaches after 30 mins or so. after trying it out for a week i decided it wasn't for me and sold the 3d stuff. prolly gave 3d another try if they can find a way to not use glasses.

Well, I was recommending the 120Hz screen, that's the 3d screen. ;) As I said, you can easily upgrade the CPU yourself, anytime, whereas the screen is more difficult to get and will (usually) cost more.

So (in case you go for the 580m) my recommendation would be 120Hz screen (3d) and cheapest CPU (to save money).

but with the 120hz screen your stuck with either the 460m or 580. the 60hz screen you can use any card in the line up and is prolly easier to upgrade the gpu later on.

Good point, chances are that AMD cards won't work with the 120Hz screen.

Going to go with this -

i7 2630 QM

2GB GTX 580M

4gb RAM

320GB HDD

120Hz screen

That's approx £2000. Then I'm going to call them up, compare the specs & price with the G73 and see what they can do for me - if they can knock the price down a bit and stick the SSD in there I'll be happy :)

Really appreciate all the help and advice on this, many many thanks.

I most certainly will!

Just chatted to dell and they said that despite their machine costing £2000 with the only major difference being the 580 gpu vs the 460 gpu in the £1600 Asus G73 their is "no possible way to change the price or the spec". All I want is an SSD!

I shall keep working on them ;)