220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

On 11/16/2016 at 0:43 PM, narin said:

Thanks. I wanted to avoid messing w/ any wiring, but is this easy to do? Any soldering necessary?

You don't have to solder it but I would recommend doing so. It's really not that hard to do. It will keep the connections from coming undone. The heat shrink helps too. 

I picked up that little switch for $5 it was literally 4 screws and it was done. 

12 minutes ago, goto35 said:

guys can i use a da-2 with a gtx980ti??

The GTX980Ti consumes around 200W of power under an average load, and has spikes in consumption in excess of 250W. The DA-2 will not power one reliably as it is not powerful enough.

9 hours ago, goto35 said:

guys can i use a da-2 with a gtx980ti??

I can't recommend using anything more powerful than a GTX 970/1070. A reference GTX980 was running as well for one user, but I am not sure if that was stable. A GTX980Ti, especially non reference ones will consume much more power than the Dell DA-2 can provide.

And don't be fooled by the 220W output of the DA-2. The PSU can't provide that load for a long time. Also the TDP of GPUs is never a guarantee of how much they actually use.

5 minutes ago, goto35 said:

could i run a gtx1050 with the plug they provided? was thinking it doent need any extra power

You mean the 60W power brick that comes with the Akitio? No, you can't. It will likely boot up okay because the idle power of the GTX1050 is minimal, but if you put it under load you are liable to run into issues with the card shutting down and crashing your system. The GTX1050 peaks at around the 60-65W mark and the Akitio itself also consumes power, so the 60W power brick will not cut it.

You need a more powerful 12v power supply (12v, 100W or 120W will work) with a 5.5x2.5mm barrel plug adapter. You can either mod one yourself (I've seen 150W or 200W XBOX360 power supplies at Goodwill for 3$ that are good for such a mod), or you can get one off amazon or ebay for 15-20$.

So, after reading about your builds on this forum a few weeks I finally decided to build an eGPU for myself to improve performance in video editing software.

I got an Akitio Thunder 2 and a DELL DA-2 Power supply that i would use to drive an nVidia GTX 970.

As i am not  really into physics and tools I ordered a cable solution from eBay:

6Pin-Adapter.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot find a GTX 970 that is capable of connecting my Dual Cable Monitor, which requires 2x miniDisplayPort (Dell UP 2715K)

So I had to change my mind and would now like to use a GTX 980.

This card however requires 2 X 6-Pin Connections for power.

As shipping costs to Germany for the above cable solution have been quite expensive I was wondering whether I could still use that cable and add something like a 1x6-Pin to 2x6-Pin Adapter like one can be found on Amazon:

2x6Pin-Adapter.png

While not that aesthetically pleasing this could be an affordable solution.

Do you think this would work? Or would this cause any (risk of) damage?

Thanks!

@Halbertus A 980 might only work if it is a reference card. If you still want to go the 980 way I can help you find the correct parts in Germany. Beeing able to fit a small 970 card into the AKiTiO and closing the case will result in importing a cable from the US which come with a big price.

Splitting a PSU line like that will just slightly reduce the efficiency of the PSU. It will not directly be a problem.

Be careful with overclocking a 980 on just a 220W PSU. That card can draw well over 220W if the power limit is high enough.

On 27.11.2016 at 0:58 AM, Dschijn said:

@Halbertus A 980 might only work if it is a reference card. If you still want to go the 980 way I can help you find the correct parts in Germany. Beeing able to fit a small 970 card into the AKiTiO and closing the case will result in importing a cable from the US which come with a big price.

Thanks for your feedback and for offering your support!

Unfortunately I was not able to find a GTX 970 that I had reliable information would work with my Dell UP2715K@5K@60Hz.

So I needed to go GTX 980. I found a great deal for an open box EVGA GTX 980 on Black Friday, so I ordered that. (for reference: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00O3JZAYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

On 27.11.2016 at 1:36 AM, Khenglish said:

Splitting a PSU line like that will just slightly reduce the efficiency of the PSU. It will not directly be a problem.

Be careful with overclocking a 980 on just a 220W PSU. That card can draw well over 220W if the power limit is high enough.

Thanks for the Info. I will not overclock the graphics card. It is only being used for video production, memory bandwidth is important in that case and I guess the GTX 980 220GB/s should be sufficient for quite some time.

In the meanwhile I got my custom cable (shipping from North Carolina, USA) and the Dell DA-2 power supply.

Unfortunately the colours of the wiring (black/yellow) / the placement of the paperclip seems to differ from the diagrams that can be found in the beginning of this thread.

There is few different ways on how I could connect the adapter cable to the PSU. None of both variants is identical to the image in post #1

Would this still work? Am I missing something? Or is the adapter soldered incorrectly?

UPDATE: I contacted the eBay seller, he told me I got a wrong cable indeed.

Variant 1:

1.gif

Variant 2:

2.gif

Edited by Halbertus

I just got my Dell DA-2 in, when I plug it into the wall with nothing attached the indicator light is orange, as soon as I plug in the the 8pin adapter (got it on ebay, looks like it's wired properly) the light goes out and nothing happens. Akitio box gives a green indicator light when using the psu it comes with.

Is the Dell DA-2 bad?

7 minutes ago, nkh004 said:

I just got my Dell DA-2 in, when I plug it into the wall with nothing attached the indicator light is orange, as soon as I plug in the the 8pin adapter (got it on ebay, looks like it's wired properly) the light goes out and nothing happens. Akitio box gives a green indicator light when using the psu it comes with.

Is the Dell DA-2 bad?

The LED on your DELL-DA-2 turning orange is normal behaviour.

Could you perhaps provide a picture of the adapter you purchased from eBay?

26 minutes ago, Halbertus said:

The LED on your DELL-DA-2 turning orange is normal behaviour.

Could you perhaps provide a picture of the adapter you purchased from eBay?

It's the same one you have a few posts back (new_used_computer_parts)

IMG_6587.jpg

IMG_6586.jpg

IMG_6585.jpg

Edited by nkh004
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, nkh004 said:

It's the same one you have a few posts back (new_used_computer_parts)

Yours is definately different from mine (which is good news for you, I guess). Also comparing to the diagram in the opening post of this thread it seems correct to me. But I got only limited knowledge in this field, thats why I was opting for a ready made solution in the first place.

I'ts noticeable we both bought our adapters from the same eBay seller. Maybe he has gotten something wrong?

I had a nice email conversation with him and he is now sending me another adapter with different layout. Shipping to Germany might take a while though. Once I receive my unit I will gladly report whether it might be different again from you adapter.

Maybe one of the more experienced members can provide more feedback for you in the meanwhile

4 hours ago, Halbertus said:

Yours is definately different from mine (which is good news for you, I guess). Also comparing to the diagram in the opening post of this thread it seems correct to me. But I got only limited knowledge in this field, thats why I was opting for a ready made solution in the first place.

I'ts noticeable we both bought our adapters from the same eBay seller. Maybe he has gotten something wrong?

I had a nice email conversation with him and he is now sending me another adapter with different layout. Shipping to Germany might take a while though. Once I receive my unit I will gladly report whether it might be different again from you adapter.

Maybe one of the more experienced members can provide more feedback for you in the meanwhile

Contacted the seller, sent pictures. He said the cable wasn't made correctly. New one on the way. 

Edited by nkh004
new info

On 11/30/2016 at 3:00 PM, nkh004 said:

Contacted the seller, sent pictures. He said the cable wasn't made correctly. New one on the way. 

I think there's something wrong with my adapter from the same seller as well.  Without anything plugged into my DA-2, the light is orange.  If I plug in just the adapter (not connected to the Akitio/GPU), the DA-2 light turns green.  But as soon as I connect the barrel plug or the 6-pin, the DA-2 light turns off and there is no power.  Is this the same thing you're experiencing?  I've tried attaching the barrel plug and 6-pin first, then connecting the adapter to the DA-2 but still no luck.

Hi all, about to purchase this Dell DA 2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-Dell-220W-DA-2-AC-Power-Adapter-OptiPlex-USFF-SX280-GX620-N112H-/391640237708?hash=item5b2f93c68c:g:v8UAAOSwux5YPxqP

Could someone help me double check this is the correct model? Have seen some people getting the wrong variant of the DA2 and I am unsure how to check as I cant find any model numbers mentioned in this thread.

Thanks!

Edited by kxplus

Hi i want to upgrade my rMBP (mid 2012) NVIDIA GT650M because now i play on low low low settings the new games!

i read the forums here over 1-2 weeks, i watched YouTube videos as well:

So from what i see i need:

3. Extra Long 3ft PCI-E 6-Pin to (2) 2.1mm DC Barrel Plug for Gridseed Blade ASIC 

4. StarTech.com PCIEXSPLIT6 6-Inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable

5. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB GDDR5, (6 Pin / 120W Max Power Draw) - to fit in the Akitio

6. Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box by Akitio

and i only miss 8 pin to 6 pin, so my question is can i use this: 8-Pin PCI Express (F) to 6-Pin PCI Express (M) Power Adapter point 2 in my setup, or it will not work?

akitio.jpg

Edited by enjoy

1 hour ago, kxplus said:

@enjoy your barrel plug should be 2.5mm and not 2.1mm.

I want to know if the 1x Female PCI Express 8 Pin Power to 2x Male PCI-E 6 Pin Power Splitting Adapter Cable will work i forget to add link to ithttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196FESSY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A37NR3TXTEOVBF

61b+QE6tsTL._SL1024_.jpg71ZbEAUYbYL._SL1024_.jpg71uVsrLIvDL._SL1024_.jpg

I wait for answer to order all parts :)

About barrel plug:

I think this is not problem -> because this guy use the same (i get the link from his video) without problem, :) i will buy 2.5mm and replace 2.1 if not fit!

or i can use this (5.5x2.1mm to 5.5x2.5mm Cable) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015KYHEXG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RXQBV4HCKG3P

Edited by enjoy

@enjoy the 8 pin PCIE female will not work with the DA2's male plug out of the box. The DA2's wiring is different from the 8 pin PCIE, so you'd have to do some soldering and cable cutting etc. Check the earlier pages of this thread, I saw some people answering this question if I'm not wrong.

As for the barrel plug, I'm not sure how that guy got it to work, but the akitio takes a 2.5mm internal and 5.5mm external diameter barrel plug. No reason to buy a 2.1mm internal diameter variant because you risk damaging the akitio's plug. In fact somebody has asked this exact question earlier on in this thread, I swear- just swept through this thread today. What a coincidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, narin said:

I think there's something wrong with my adapter from the same seller as well.  Without anything plugged into my DA-2, the light is orange.  If I plug in just the adapter (not connected to the Akitio/GPU), the DA-2 light turns green.  But as soon as I connect the barrel plug or the 6-pin, the DA-2 light turns off and there is no power.  Is this the same thing you're experiencing?  I've tried attaching the barrel plug and 6-pin first, then connecting the adapter to the DA-2 but still no luck.

I didn't get the green light. It just turned off as soon as I connected the adapter. The barrel plug +/- weren't in the right position. 

4 hours ago, nkh004 said:
I didn't get the green light. It just turned off as soon as I connected the adapter. The barrel plug +/- weren't in the right position. 

Edit: Contacted the seller and it turns out my adapter was wired incorrectly as well. Barrel plug wires should have been reversed on the 12-pin like yours. He is sending me another one ASAP. 

Edited by narin
Update context

3 hours ago, narin said:

Edit: Contacted the seller and it turns out my adapter was wired incorrectly as well. Barrel plug wires should have been reversed on the 12-pin like yours. He is sending me another one ASAP. 

Yeah, all I did was cut the wires about half way up, swap and splice them together. Works fine for now until the replacement comes in.