M18x R2 processor upgrade

Sergeant

I have a i7-3740QM in AW M18x R2.

Is an upgrade to recommend, wich processor?

Can i upgrade to the new Hasswell processor Generation in AW M18x R2?

No, but you can get 3920xm for less than $400 off of ebay. The 4930mx and 3920mx with both overclocked to the max are roughly equal in performance despite the 4930mx costing over $600 more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I only overclock the i7-3920XM or can I overclock also the i7-3840QM?

The 3840qm has a frequency cap of a 400mhz overclock. You can also only raise the power limit by 10W. The 3920xm has no clock or power limit.

The end result is that an overclocked 3840qm usually runs around 4ghz while a 3920xm runs around 4.4ghz.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an r2 with a 3920qm, my max overclock is 4.6mhz but each processor is different. I have my running at 1.301 stable. Your gaming performance wont get any better with the 3920xm vs the 3740qm or 3840qm. Both cpus run close to 4.0mhz.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Most top-of-the-line processors are used solely for overclocking. Unless you are mad about benching I wouldn't consider it an effective investment. I'd much rather spend that money on a GPU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
But you can upgrade to 3920XM or 3940XM

What is the difference between the 3920XM and the 3940XM in terms of speed in real world benchmarks? Is it worth investing in the 3940XM? I work especially in the conversion of videos and my 3630QM is simply not fast enough. Can I overclock the 3940XM to 4 GHz. and more? What settings do I need to change in the BIOS of my M18x R2?

• 3 weeks later...
What is the difference between the 3920XM and the 3940XM in terms of speed in real world benchmarks? Is it worth investing in the 3940XM? I work especially in the conversion of videos and my 3630QM is simply not fast enough. Can I overclock the 3940XM to 4 GHz. and more? What settings do I need to change in the BIOS of my M18x R2?

The difference between the two is 100mhz stock speeds. Some say overclock ed they are the same. You need to go into your bios under performance and enable bios overclocking, then set it to level 3. Change the multiples to what ever you want and tweak the voltage according to the clocks your going to run, finally towards the bottom set the power limits to 99 55 99.

As Dandan said - only 100mhz difference at stock speed. I've hoped that I'd see 3940xm do something a little bit extra when OCed at the limit than a 3920xm but am yet to see any different performance in this situation.

Thanks for the replies. I have bought a relatively cheap 3940XM. Unfortunately, I have now realized, that I need another heatpipe-cooler with three heatpipes. In Germany, this heatpipe-cooler is not available.

I also had to buy three heatpipe cooler. Fortunately one and only unit was available in Poland for 40$. You should check ebay worldwide offerts or just buy it directly from dell, it's often cheaper than ebay.

Thanks for the replies. I have bought a relatively cheap 3940XM. Unfortunately, I have now realized, that I need another heatpipe-cooler with three heatpipes. In Germany, this heatpipe-cooler is not available.

You can buy the 3Heatpipe directly on dell Germany, for ~20€.