Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

6 minutes ago, cajuil said:

Hello @Tech Inferno Fan

So after I booted up my eGPU and turned my laptop on, all the graphical output was directed to the eGPU as if it was the only GPU available/detected. After the BIOS screen, an immediate crash regarding ACPI_BIOS_ERROR. Did a bit of research, tried changing lots of options to no available. Wouldn't work. Still the same error everytime.

My research didn't give good results:logik:

Pls use the delay switches on your EXP GDC adapter to hide it from the BIOS as otherwise the BIOS initializes an unstable state. That will overcome your ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.  As mentioned in https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8947-mpcieec-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/

1 hour ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Pls use the delay switches on your EXP GDC adapter to hide it from the BIOS as otherwise the BIOS initializes an unstable state. That will overcome your ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.  As mentioned in https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8947-mpcieec-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/

The delay switches don't seem to work at all. I have the EXP GDC v8.3 <-- I've "read"  somewhere in the forums about that version being the cheapest, which means is missing a few connections here and there, I think is "fixable" tho.

Hello guys,

I’m stuck on an issue and I don’t know how to resolve it and I'm so close to getting it working!

Some background info:

Windows 10

Lenovo T530

16GB RAM

EXP GDC V8 Adapter

Intel i5-3320M @ 2.6GHz

TOLUD = 3.49GB
NVidia GTX750 Ti FTW GPU
iGPU Intel HD4000
Enermax ELT500AWT (500 watt) PSU

I’ve got an EXP GDC V8 adapter that plugs into my laptop via the ExpressCard slot. I bought the eGPU Setup 1.30 as my laptop has more than 3GB of RAM and I didn’t want to take it all out. I’ve managed to successfully (after many hours!) create an AML file so that I can perform a DSDT substitution using Setup 1.30. That all works fine and I get the large memory appear in Device Manager and my system boots fine without the BSOD. I install the latest drivers for my card and disable my internal screen and have only my external on. I’m trying to play 7 Days to Die – it loads fine and I can start a game and then 5 seconds later…The eGPU turns off and my internal display turns on and it’s just running the iGPU.

I’m using 36-bit compaction on both iGPU + eGPU with chainloader is set to 'mbr' and I don't get any errors in the Device Manager.

Am I doing something wrong? I’m pretty much just doing trial and error with the configuration in eGPU 1.30.

Here's my setup currently:

Regards,

gooch

IMG_0500.JPG

Edited by goochmonster
Added a picture of my setup

Hello!

My system is:
Notebook Clevo W670SHQ with primitive AMI BIOS
CPU: Intel Core i5 4200M
Memory: 2x8gb DDR3
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
dGPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 740M 2gb DDR3
eGPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4gb GDDR5 via EXP GDC v 8.0 mPCI-e

I successful convert my system from UEFI/GPT to MBR, but now I'm stuck with setup in this cool programm.

When I try to disable dGPU > save it to startup.bat > run with it - load process just returns to bootmanager.
If I select Windows here, after loading I see that nothing changed.

Can anyone write what I must do in DIY EGPU for needed result? (to enable egpu with internal monitor)

Edited by fedori4

14 hours ago, fedori4 said:

Hello!

My system is:
Notebook Clevo W670SHQ with primitive AMI BIOS
CPU: Intel Core i5 4200M
Memory: 2x8gb DDR3
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
dGPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 740M 2gb DDR3
eGPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4gb GDDR5 via EXP GDC v 8.0 mPCI-e

I successful convert my system from UEFI/GPT to MBR, but now I'm stuck with setup in this cool programm.

When I try to disable dGPU > save it to startup.bat > run with it - load process just returns to bootmanager.
If I select Windows here, after loading I see that nothing changed.

Can anyone write what I must do in DIY EGPU for needed result? (to enable egpu with internal monitor)

After booting Setup 1.30 -> Video cards -> dGPU [off], the Chainloader->mode=MBR followed by Chainloader->Test Run, select windows, boot Windows and check if the iGPU and eGPU are the only GPUs enabled. If so, the NVidia Optimus will provide an accelerated internal LCD mode if drivers are configured correctly:  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10305-guide-how-to-get-nvidia-optimus-work-in-win10/

If the eGPU isn't detected or gets error 43 then refer to https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8947-mpcieec-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/

If the eGPU has error 12 against it then boot Setup 1.30, highlight PCI Compaction->Run compact and hit F1 (help). Over 20 different configuration items will be listed to try.

If there is any other problems then pls email or PM me to work through.

Impossible! Deus Ex MD with "high" settings on my notebook! Full HD resolution! Even "very high" works, but crashes later, imho because need more than 4gb video memory. 
Thank you Tech Inferno Fan, you made this world better :-)

Hi guys, I think I have lost some hair in the process...

So I have bought a 1060 6gb strix and a pe4c 3.0 adapter and jammed the thing to my mPCIe (which was previously married to my wifi card). Ran a DDU (in safemode), installed a 1060 Nvidia driver. Lo and behold, my 960m dGPU reappeared in the Device Manager, which I have previously disabled and uninstalled and deleted. With that in mind, my 1060 is constantly raped by the code 43 error. On top of that, whenever I delete and uninstall the dGPU, it gives me another error (3D Video Controller).

I have tried the uninstall and scan method and nothing gets rid of code 43. I wanted to disable my dGPU through BIOS but N551JW's bios settings is incredibly stupid and let you not do such a thing. I have thought of Setup 1.3, but I halt that just in case I do not actually need Setup 1.3.

Also. The strix 1060 has only one 8-pin pcie on top of it, is it correct that I plugged the psu pcie in it?

Laptop is Asus N551JW, PSU is a Corsair VS450.

I will give anyone who can help me out a virtual kiss!

Edited by Captain Yorshka
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok I think I am almost sure to say that I reached the end.

Setup 1.3 doesnt fix it either. It recognizes my NVIDIA eGPU and the iGPU successfully look:DSC_0637.jpg

After applying 36bit pcie compaction it says PCIw YES and allocateds 256mb. I can try to force port4 to Gen2 or Gen1 it makes no differences

Tried every possible way with PCIe compaction (applied it on iGPU eGPU, eGPU only, forced iGPU to 32bit.) nothing changes, I still get boot logo bluescreen.

When I boot with WIFI-module attached I can reach desktop, but going to sleep, exchanging it for eGPU doesnt work, but I still run into error12 and Windows says to solve that I should reboot -> blue screen

I read somewhere that there should be a PSU fix, where you disable one pin?! Can somebody go into that??

Edited by EdwardEnglish

Hi everyone

I have exp gdc v8 and my specs

Dell N5110

i7 2670qm

8gb ram

gt525m@hd3000

egpu@EVGA GTX 760

HM67 chipset

My problem m-pcie slot work only 1.1 speed

I tried force gen2 speeds but card doesn't work. 

1c77ba4ba6c4b1459c85fd7178ae41f8.png.21f164a70ec96063e1d8cfc3a32ed6eb.png

Question regarding installation of Setup 1.30.

Trying to install on a Lenovo u530. It has a main drive with 1TB set to GPT partition. I tried the instructions for conversion to MBR but it didn't seem to accept some of the Linux commands when I was running Fedora so it did not do the conversion.

Anyway, I realized that the laptop also has a pathetic little 16gb SSD that is unpartitioned and unused. Could I install a copy of Fedora on this SSD and use MBR so I can use Setup 1.3 from this hard drive, but have a boot loader installed on here as well that I could select to boot into Windows as well? Would this allow Setup 1.3 to work it's magic for both OSes?

Thanks for any help.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have purchased DIY eGPU setup today and unfortunately the links inside the installing instructions were not working and I couldn't get it work. First, I couldn't set up the disk image because it keeps telling me that there is a GPT installation found and it doesn't go any further. Of course, my System is not installed on a GPT partition but I have another windows installation that is installed on a GPT partition but this one, I'm using my eGPU on, is a MBR partition. I think that the program keeps checking all disks and not only the one with current windows installation. Second, I'm having my eGPU running via PE4C v4.1 key A/E adapter which supposed to support 2x link width (My motherboard have key E) but in hwinfo software I keep getting a maximum link width of 1x, does DIY eGPU setup can put it to work on 2x link width and if it can't, is there any other solution to get it work on 2x? I can provide you with my email in pm if you want.

Best Regards....

3 hours ago, zazoer said:

I have purchased DIY eGPU setup today and unfortunately the links inside the installing instructions were not working and I couldn't get it work. First, I couldn't set up the disk image because it keeps telling me that there is a GPT installation found and it doesn't go any further. Of course, my System is not installed on a GPT partition but I have another windows installation that is installed on a GPT partition but this one, I'm using my eGPU on, is a MBR partition. I think that the program keeps checking all disks and not only the one with current windows installation. Second, I'm having my eGPU running via PE4C v4.1 key A/E adapter which supposed to support 2x link width (My motherboard have key E) but in hwinfo software I keep getting a maximum link width of 1x, does DIY eGPU setup can put it to work on 2x link width and if it can't, is there any other solution to get it work on 2x? I can provide you with my email in pm if you want.

Best Regards....

Setup 1.30 requires MBR. If you edit c:\eGPU\install-disk-image.bat and place "::" in front of the line as is in RED, it will ask you to do a MBR install. Consider too it testing for x2 capability then can install on a USB stick to avoid UEFI to MBR conversion headaches.

:check_EFI
  type bcdtemp.txt | findstr /c:"path" | findstr /c:"winload.efi" > nul
  :: if NOT errorlevel 1 goto EFI_found
  echo.
  echo Can't detect if you have a MBR or EFI Windows installation.
  choice /C ME /M  "Press M (MBR) to do a disk-image install or E (EFI) to cancel and exit."
  echo. 
  if errorlevel 2 exit /B 1
  exit /B 0

A x2 link should automatically show up in Setup 1.30. If not, you can try to set it using PCIe Ports->x2. Though this is likely to fail because it requires two things:

1. That there is a second electrical lane wired to the slot. If the slot can also be used as a x2 2.0 PCIe SSD then that may be possible.

2. That the ME FW or BIOS port bootstraps enable the second electrically wired lane.  This is complicated as requires Intel ME FW Tools and an unlocked FW descriptor. There are only two people I know that have publically done this with the more widely available tools for a 3rd gen i-core system. Intel  is locking things down more and more to prevent these sort of mods.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7574-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-and-system-mods/&page=9#comment-127745

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7574-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-and-system-mods/&do=findComment&comment=115469

6 hours ago, Capta1n_0bvious said:

Question regarding installation of Setup 1.30.

Trying to install on a Lenovo u530. It has a main drive with 1TB set to GPT partition. I tried the instructions for conversion to MBR but it didn't seem to accept some of the Linux commands when I was running Fedora so it did not do the conversion.

Anyway, I realized that the laptop also has a pathetic little 16gb SSD that is unpartitioned and unused. Could I install a copy of Fedora on this SSD and use MBR so I can use Setup 1.3 from this hard drive, but have a boot loader installed on here as well that I could select to boot into Windows as well? Would this allow Setup 1.3 to work it's magic for both OSes?

Thanks for any help.

Usually a GPT installation of Windows is in UEFI mode. You can do a quick test and change your BIOS setting to 'CSM or legacy' instead of UEFI. Can you boot Windows? If not, then would need to convert from UEFI to MBR for Setup 1.30 to be able to chainload it. Pls PM or email me what you need Setup 1.30 for so I can evaluate how to best accomplish that.

3 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Usually a GPT installation of Windows is in UEFI mode. You can do a quick test and change your BIOS setting to 'CSM or legacy' instead of UEFI. Can you boot Windows? If not, then would need to convert from UEFI to MBR for Setup 1.30 to be able to chainload it. Pls PM or email me what you need Setup 1.30 for so I can evaluate how to best accomplish that.

Unable to PM. The website gives some sort of error message.

I am trying to use Setup 1.3 to bypass a whitelisted mPCIe slot and with any luck possibly increasing the slot to 2.0 x2 instead of 2.0 x1.

I can set my BIOS to legacy and it does boot to Windows. I see you say that an MBR boot record is absolutely required to use Setup 1.3 though.

So far I have gotten my GTS450 to be usable using Optimus (laptop LCD) when using the sleep mode hotswap trick but performance is a little lacking and I would like the ability to play around with it more without having to worry about hotswapping the wifi card.

32 minutes ago, Capta1n_0bvious said:

Unable to PM. The website gives some sort of error message.

I am trying to use Setup 1.3 to bypass a whitelisted mPCIe slot and with any luck possibly increasing the slot to 2.0 x2 instead of 2.0 x1.

I can set my BIOS to legacy and it does boot to Windows. I see you say that an MBR boot record is absolutely required to use Setup 1.3 though.

So far I have gotten my GTS450 to be usable using Optimus (laptop LCD) when using the sleep mode hotswap trick but performance is a little lacking and I would like the ability to play around with it more without having to worry about hotswapping the wifi card.

Given 'Legacy' works, may I suggest try a USB and/or disk image installation of Setup 1.30 next? Set chainloader->mode=MBR then do Chainloader->test run. If you can chainload to Windows then you can play around with Gen2 port settings, hotswapping wifi, etc.

Thank you for all the advice so far.

Alright, so I got the flash drive going and the MBR mode chainloader test seemed to work, and now I believe I have the whitelist bypassed (it says successful anyway).

However, now my video card is only detected as a PCIe version 1.1 instead of 2 so the link speed is 2.5.

I have tried a few different combinations in Setup 1.3 but it claims to successfully set the port with the nvidia to Gen 2 link speed, but it still lists the card and slot as 1.1. I added the command to the startup file and ran on bootup. HWinfo and GPUz seem to list the card/bus as PCIe 2.0 for a short amount of time, but then jumps back down to version 1.1 after about 5 seconds.

Slot is an EXP GDC Beast v8.0

Video card just pulled out of a desktop that is has been working fine with for years. Power supply from the same computer.

I am hoping this is not indicative of a crappy slot. I suspect this dang laptop is on lockdown and preventing any changes. 

Any advice?

7 minutes ago, Capta1n_0bvious said:

Thank you for all the advice so far.

Alright, so I got the flash drive going and the MBR mode chainloader test seemed to work, and now I believe I have the whitelist bypassed (it says successful anyway).

However, now my video card is only detected as a PCIe version 1.1 instead of 2 so the link speed is 2.5.

I have tried a few different combinations in Setup 1.3 but it claims to successfully set the port with the nvidia to Gen 2 link speed, but it still lists the card and slot as 1.1. I added the command to the startup file and ran on bootup. HWinfo and GPUz seem to list the card/bus as PCIe 2.0 for a short amount of time, but then jumps back down to version 1.1 after about 5 seconds.

Slot is an EXP GDC Beast v8.0

Video card just pulled out of a desktop that is has been working fine with for years. Power supply from the same computer.

I am hoping this is not indicative of a crappy slot. I suspect this dang laptop is on lockdown and preventing any changes. 

Any advice?

Good stuff to get it all going.

The PCIe power management will switch the eGPU to 1.1 when idle. Place it under load by say using the NVidia spinning logo in it's control panel and observe the eGPU state using GPU-Z. It will switch to 2.0 under load.

2 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Good stuff to get it all going.

The PCIe power management will switch the eGPU to 1.1 when idle. Place it under load by say using the NVidia spinning logo in it's control panel and observe the eGPU state using GPU-Z. It will switch to 2.0 under load.

Thank you for all your help. It looks like the Gen 2 link setting change wasn't necessary, and it has been working so far without having to use the whitelist mod.

So, I figured out after lots of tinkering that Windows wouldn't let me disable driver signing when the BIOS was out of UEFI mode. This prevented the eGPU from being utilized even though it was still detected in Windows (because I modified the driver for Optimus use).

Again, thanks for your advice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally got my eGPU setup working! In the end I returned the graphics card I had and bought another one (EVGA GTX 750 Ti with the single fan) and it works flawlessly. I'm very pleased with the performance. Now, on to my next issue...

@Tech Inferno Fan How do I automate my STARTUP.bat file so that it will perform PCI compaction and apply my DSDT substitution without me manually having to do it each time I restart my machine?

This is the contents of my STARTUP.bat:

call vidwait 60
call vidinit -d %eGPU%
call pci
pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xDAFE8000 WDK_DSDT.AML
:end
call chainload mbr

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

gooch

12 hours ago, goochmonster said:

@Tech Inferno Fan How do I automate my STARTUP.bat file so that it will perform PCI compaction and apply my DSDT substitution without me manually having to do it each time I restart my machine?

This is the contents of my STARTUP.bat:

call vidwait 60
call vidinit -d %eGPU%
call pci
pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xDAFE8000 WDK_DSDT.AML
:end
call chainload mbr

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

gooch

Your startup.bat ais already set to replay the pci.bat from the last PCI compaction.  No changes are needed.

• admin changed the title to eGPU Setup 1.30 Discussion
  • Tech Inferno Fan unfeatured this topic
  • Brian unpinned and locked this topic
  • Brian unlocked this topic
  • Tech Inferno Fan pinned this topic
  • Brian locked this topic
  • admin featured this topic
  • Brian featured and pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.