Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
gerald

Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

Recommended Posts

Ok, so my Chinese friend purchased the adapter from Taobao, it's the same one as offered here.

 

I am however not able to use it for whatever reason. When try to turn on the laptop, everything shuts down about 5 seconds after boot. I used an old but working GeForce, something like 9000-series GeForce or something, a Radeon 1600 XT and a no-name PCI-E to Sata card. Same results. The power supply is also confirmed to be working.

 

What could it be caused by? The Ultrabay card is the one without capacitors, I wonder if they had to do something with it after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Avatarass said:

my Chinese friend purchased the adapter from Taobao, it's the same one as offered here.

Photo?

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2021 at 4:58 PM, rusTORK said:

Photo?

 

edit: I figured I added some crap link, here's the good one. TczLzJy.jpeg

 

Edited by Avatarass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

 

Hoping to buy an adapter if anyone has?

 

I've PM-ed Swung Huang but no reply yet.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LordVIPer said:

Hey,

 

Hoping to buy an adapter if anyone has?

 

I've PM-ed Swung Huang but no reply yet.

 

Thanks

Hi!

You can try to contact with Swung Huang at [email protected]m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have got my original adapter from Gerald. May sell it if someone need it. Sent me P.M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is there any way to get the adapter to work with Y500?

 

I think there was a mention of a specific BIOS version required, and an image provided. Having the svl7 bios I am not sure if I flush anything else on top of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Avatarass said:

So is there any way to get the adapter to work with Y500?

 

I think there was a mention of a specific BIOS version required, and an image provided. Having the svl7 bios I am not sure if I flush anything else on top of it.

You should just plug that into your laptop, install PSU and GPU to it, and it should just work.(The latest version has an hardware mod present on the adapter so the firmware patch is no longer needed.)

Edited by Swung Huang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, Swung Huang said:

You should just plug that into your laptop, install PSU and GPU to it, and it should just work.(The latest version has an hardware mod present on the adapter so the firmware patch is no longer needed.)

 

 

That's not the case. Like I said, the laptop and the PSU both turn off about 5 seconds after powering on.

 

The 450W PSU is more than powerful to power the ancient video cards I used for testing, NVidia and ATI.

 

My only guess is the issue mentioned in early pages of this thread, where Y500 had some sort of difference with Y510p with regards to the SMBus, which caused it to reject any video card and shut off. Albeit the shut off happens in 40 seconds in that case, not 5. There was a bios fix provided for that, but I cannot verify whether it works since my BIOS isn't standard, so I need to find a way to first roll it back to the standard BIOS before flashing it with the svl7 BIOS with the hotfix.

Edited by Avatarass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Avatarass said:

 

 

That's not the case. Like I said, the laptop and the PSU both turn off about 5 seconds after powering on.

 

The 450W PSU is more than powerful to power the ancient video cards I used for testing, NVidia and ATI.

 

My only guess is the issue mentioned in early pages of this thread, where Y500 had some sort of difference with Y510p with regards to the SMBus, which caused it to reject any video card and shut off. Albeit the shut off happens in 40 seconds in that case, not 5. There was a bios fix provided for that, but I cannot verify whether it works since my BIOS isn't standard, so I need to find a way to first roll it back to the standard BIOS before flashing it with the svl7 BIOS with the hotfix.

Yeah, I’ve encountered some cases where the mod fails to work. In which case you still need the bios patch to get that to work.(p.s. vanilla y400/500 will reject any GPU regardless of the vendor. Accepting AMD card by default only happens on y410p/510p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2022 at 8:30 AM, Swung Huang said:

Yeah, I’ve encountered some cases where the mod fails to work. In which case you still need the bios patch to get that to work.(p.s. vanilla y400/500 will reject any GPU regardless of the vendor. Accepting AMD card by default only happens on y410p/510p

 

Ok, so thankfully I was able to obtain my original BIOS dump and modded it with the utility provided in this thread. I flashed the BIOS and the card was more or less accepted. The laptop no longer turns off and I am able to install the drivers for the video card. After I install the drivers, and the Windows indicates that drivers for the video card so-and-so were successfully installed.

 

However: after I reboot the system, the windows fails to load. Windows 10 just goes to a black screen with the loading circle going non-stop. The mouse is active but it's just black screen. I wonder if there's another step I am missing.

 

EDIT: I tested it with NVidia 9500 GS, I wonder if I need to try AMD card (the X1600 XT I have is no good since Windows 10 doesn't support it).

Edited by Avatarass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, rusTORK said:

I still have got my original adapter from Gerald. May sell it if someone need it. Sent me P.M.

Hi. I’m new to the forum. Can’t seem to find the dm option. I am interested in the adapter and I would like to know how to proceed. I have an Y510 but at this point, with it’s graphics, it’s kinda useless.

 

thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AlexE said:

Hi. I’m new to the forum. Can’t seem to find the dm option. I am interested in the adapter and I would like to know how to proceed. I have an Y510 but at this point, with it’s graphics, it’s kinda useless.

 

thank you.

Hi!

You can try to contact with Swung Huang at 1[email protected]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By mssfss
      hi,
       
      I need a help to remove whitelist from bios to install my new wlan.
       
      model :lenovo g405 
       
      thanks.
       
       
      https://www.sendspace.com/file/7gvm11
    • By blaz_evic
      Hello

      I upgraded my old laptop with i7-3632qm and its working fine, temps are ok but he wont boost. Lenovo g500s could be bought with i7-3632qm and it had same cooling as was 2020m so i dont think cooling is problem. Can i bios unlock? I cant acces advanced settings in bios. i need help

      thanks
    • By Klem
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove witelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings, or unlocked vbios for overclock NVIDIA card, then you can post your request in this thread.
    • By alexey621
      Hello, I have several Lenovo L530 notebooks, but there is no wi-fi adapter inside. I tried to use my wi-fi adapters, but whti every adapter I have an error "1802 unauthorized network card is plugged in". I have already used all available wi-fi adapters, but no result. I really need professional help and I hope I find it here. As far as I understand there is a way to remove whitelist in BIOS, so here's the file with my BIOS dump.
      https://disk.yandex.ru/d/GcILQafHeDzxZw
      Hope you can help me with BIOS mod. Thanks in advance. 
      P.S. Sorry my English, I'm from Russia
    • By FlubDaBlub
      Hi all! I am wondering if it's possible to remove the bios whitelist easily. Because of the whitelist, my external gpu setup that I got recently refuses to work. If it helps at all, I know that the wifi card that used to be in the slot was the intel 8265ngw. Here's the bios link if that helps too: laptops and netbooks :: thinkpad x series laptops :: thinkpad x380 yoga :: 20lj :: 20ljs20n00 :: mp1e15eb - Lenovo Support US
      Thanks for your help!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.