eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

@blowntaha

What's the price difference between them? Feels like 750ti would much more bang for the buck, it also meets your 5K requirement at a much lower TDP.

~85 vs 130, tbh I just need something "that'll do" for now, until I get started on building another lab. Looking at the price difference plus how big a step up it'd be from a 660m, it'll do plenty :)

Compare against a similar specced system at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 to see if you are getting the correct level of performance.

So I finally managed to do some tests... Seems my setup is performing according to what it is capable :( bjorm has a similar setup to my, so I did some comparisons just as you suggested. Dx11: Result DX9: Result

I may need a better GPU? :) Funny thing is that neither the cpu fan nor the gpu fan are dialed up during benchmarks...

So I finally managed to do some tests... Seems my setup is performing according to what it is capable :( bjorm has a similar setup to my, so I did some comparisons just as you suggested. Dx11: Result DX9: Result

I may need a better GPU? :) Funny thing is that neither the cpu fan nor the gpu fan are dialed up during benchmarks...

You're comparing two benchmarks where there is a huge difference in driver version, which can GREATLY impact results. Try using the same driver build as the one you're comparing to.

Hello everyone! Delighted to be in this community! I am new to egpu's theme, I'm very interested in implementing an eGPU on my computer (HP DV6 6B18Es). Factory has 2 GPU's (graphics switchable), namely an Intel HD 3000 integrated and AMD 6490M. The fact is that AMD is still a bit sparse me to play. I have a i7 processor and 8 GB of ram.

I've been reporting, and my main problem is that I dont have thunderbolt port or expresscard port. would have to use the PCIe port WIFI, I have uncovered the laptop, and I can access the port PCIe wifi easily. I really doubt this topic.

Obviously, if I make the connection via Pcie (wifi), I will not have wifi on my laptop right?

Can I have problems with the BIOS.??

What exactly I need to connect my laptop to a GPU?

Is there a possibility that it is not detected?

Hopefully I can help out, I'm informatic, but never inquire about the topic.

regards

Hello everyone! Delighted to be in this community! I am new to egpu's theme, I'm very interested in implementing an eGPU on my computer (HP DV6 6B18Es). Factory has 2 GPU's (graphics switchable), namely an Intel HD 3000 integrated and AMD 6490M. The fact is that AMD is still a bit sparse me to play. I have a i7 processor and 8 GB of ram.

I've been reporting, and my main problem is that I dont have thunderbolt port or expresscard port. would have to use the PCIe port WIFI, I have uncovered the laptop, and I can access the port PCIe wifi easily. I really doubt this topic.

Obviously, if I make the connection via Pcie (wifi), I will not have wifi on my laptop right?

Can I have problems with the BIOS.??

What exactly I need to connect my laptop to a GPU?

Is there a possibility that it is not detected?

Hopefully I can help out, I'm informatic, but never inquire about the topic.

regards

This implementation will be similar to a Sandy Bridge DV6: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4494-%5Bguide%5D14-hp-pavilion-dm4-3000tx-intel-gtx650ti%40-x1-2opt-pe4l-pm060a-2-1b.html#post62811

Thanks for your quick response!

mainly, I'm afraid to buy the kit, and it does not work for me.

Could you have problems by having 2 integrated graphics ( HD3000 and AMD 6490M), and also an external?

- - - Updated - - -

This guide says that:

Related HP Laptops

• HP DV6-6000 (Intel only)
  • HP DV7-6000 (Intel only)
  • HP Dm4-30** (Intel only)

Unrelated Systems (IMPORTANT)

• HP DV6-6000 (AMD)
  • HP DV7-6000 (AMD)
  • HP Dm4-31**^ (and above, these are using Ivybridge HM7* chipsets and boards)
    ^Considered a different system from Dm4-30**.

That means that a HP DV6 whit AMD Graphics isn´t compatible?

Regards

Thanks for your quick response!

mainly, I'm afraid to buy the kit, and it does not work for me.

Could you have problems by having 2 integrated graphics ( HD3000 and AMD 6490M), and also an external?

- - - Updated - - -

This guide says that:

Related HP Laptops

• HP DV6-6000 (Intel only)
  • HP DV7-6000 (Intel only)
  • HP Dm4-30** (Intel only)

Unrelated Systems (IMPORTANT)

• HP DV6-6000 (AMD)
  • HP DV7-6000 (AMD)
  • HP Dm4-31**^ (and above, these are using Ivybridge HM7* chipsets and boards)
    ^Considered a different system from Dm4-30**.

That means that a HP DV6 whit AMD Graphics isn´t compatible?

Regards

You'd follow exactly the same steps as @Encrypted11 did at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4494-%5Bguide%5D14-hp-pavilion-dm4-3000tx-intel-gtx650ti%40-x1-2opt-pe4l-pm060a-2-1b.html#post62811 . He too has a HD3000 iGPU + AMD dGPU. You too would need to disable your AMD dGPU via Setup 1.xto free 32-bit pcie config space to host the eGPU and to ensure the NVidia driver enables Optimus features: internal LCD mode and x1 pci-e compression (x1.2Opt).

@Sonek

Try setting 'prefer performance' in NCP and redo the test.

Any improvement?

I have no clue what happened, but no version of 3dmark is able to run properly anymore :( Each and every one of them starts with crashing the Futuremark SystemInfo process... Several rounds of reinstall (even the drivers) did not help, so now I'm giving up. Windows reinstall is a nogo atm, and of course I did not made any system restore points... Without that component, my results are not valid and have no hw details :(

If there is anything that doesn't use the SystemInfo component, please let me know!

I've tried looking around but could anyone point me in the direction of how to get this working under linux. I've got it working 100% fine with Windows so I know my setup isn't at fault just the linux drivers. I've already screwed up one instance of my Ubuntu setup. Closest I came to a solution was bumblebee but I've also read reports of that only being for laptops with a dGPU.

I have no clue what happened, but no version of 3dmark is able to run properly anymore :( Each and every one of them starts with crashing the Futuremark SystemInfo process... Several rounds of reinstall (even the drivers) did not help, so now I'm giving up. Windows reinstall is a nogo atm, and of course I did not made any system restore points... Without that component, my results are not valid and have no hw details :(

If there is anything that doesn't use the SystemInfo component, please let me know!

So I got pissed with the performance of the 560Ti and sold it, now there is an MSI GTX 760 Mini in my EXP GDC :nevreness: and an additional 4GB of RAM :)

I still have a problem with 3dmark (every version), but managed to do a run with 3DM11: Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Unknown,

• Thumbs Up 1

So I got pissed with the performance of the 560Ti and sold it, now there is an MSI GTX 760 Mini in my EXP GDC :nevreness: and an additional 4GB of RAM :)

I still have a problem with 3dmark (every version), but managed to do a run with 3DM11: Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Unknown,

No system data at all amongst the benchmark results. Systeminfo is cactus. Have you update your SystemInfo to the lates 4.26 version? SystemInfo support - Futuremark . If still no go after that then consider doing a fresh Windows installation as a fix.

Okay, I'm back..Now, I have a few more questions. I managed to pick up an R7 240 for $19, and I wanted to know if it would just run on the power on the board itself? Because the card has no connectors. would this card work with internal monitor? Or would I have to go through a process in order to get it working? which of the two would be faster, EPU through the wifi card slot or through the express card? What's the difference between PE4 versions and what would the best for my PC? Also, what's the difference between the PE4 systems, NP XGP and EXP GDC? They seem about same, just some look a bit cleaner/a bit cheaper and come with their own power for the GPU.

Link to EXP GDC:EXP GDC

Link to NP NP XGP: np xgp Laptop External External PCI-E graphics card Expresscard suit - best taobao agent,china online shopping,

Also, before some of you folks jump on me for buying such a cheap card.. please hear me out. I've been gaming on intel crapics 3000 mobile on most games with 28-64fps on low/mid/high for a while now, and with the comparisons online, the card is nearly 10 times better than that. So, I'd rather take little improvement for now, than no improvement at all.

I'm coming back down with an addiction to computers.

I thought I was so awesome coming up with (Man, I should draft up an enclosure for a PCIe 16x to 1x graphics card) and then I saw this article. #TheCreativity-NotMyOwn

Favorited this article - I'm still contemplating trying an external GPU on one of the dozens of laptops with a good performing processor and the boring integrated graphics :-D

No system data at all amongst the benchmark results. Systeminfo is cactus. Have you update your SystemInfo to the lates 4.26 version? SystemInfo support - Futuremark . If still no go after that then consider doing a fresh Windows installation as a fix.

Yes, tried every combination of uninstall/reboot/reinstall/prev.version... I won't reinstall my OS because of a stupid benchmarking component. Skyrim is working @1600x900 on my internal LCD :), so I'm finished.

If anyone has any other suggestions for fixing SystemInfo so I can contribute my results to the database here, please let me know!

Well I thought I'd join the discussion. Got my EXP GDC v6.0 last monday and I finally got the whole thing working. Plays all games launched from Steam but it seems any executable apps revert to the on-board GMA4500m, like World of Tanks. Haven't found a solution yet.

Build:

Leneno G550 (2010)

Pentium Dual Core t4400 @2.2ghz

4gb RAM

resolution: 1366X768 (720p)

Running a PNY XLR8 NVidia Geforce GTX 650Ti

post-26241-14494997644252_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey all.

A while back I tried an eGPU setup and it just didnt want to work with my laptop. So after waiting a bit I decided to give it another go, and its been a success, mostly... The X230T still has resource issues if there is more than 8GB of RAM in the back, so I'm going to get some dual channel 4GB sticks. Anyway, I got my GTX 760 with a fancy EXP GDC v5.8 to run and the scores on 3dMark look fantastic, there is just one minor issue that is more of an inconveniance really. On start up, if my external monitor is plugged in to my DVI output on the graphics card, my start up stalls at the boot screen before windows can load. However, if I wait until it boots up and plug in the monitor when windows is loading, it works like a charm.

At this point I am just thrilled that I got it to work after having a failed attempt before, but I'd like to be able to run the thing without having to worry about plugging in my monitor everytime I want to use the card. Will I? Sure. Do I want to? Not really.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guess who is back guys :3

After consulting with nando, I managed to make my eGPU show up in setup 1.x.

Of course since I have 8 gigs of ram, i got a error 12, which I quickly fixed by editing my DSDT and making a large memory option.

Now i have something called Error 10. (code 10: device cannot launch). After some googling, I deduced that the problem is with the drivers. After following the main guide, I uninstalled all AMD drivers, booted into Setup 1.x, Set my PCI ports speed to Gen2, Ran a PCI compaction with the large memory on the eGPU, and chainloded to windows 7. The problem is that the computer crashes right after this, Either it freezes at the "Launching windows in 4.. seconds", or gets a black screen before the windows logo animation.

Any suggestions?

I bought today a GTX 770 (yay!) to upgrade my 660. But I'm getting the error code 43. Anyway to get rid of it?

Edit: Managed to make a DSDT override by turning testsigning on. GTX 770 recognized in Device Manager with no errors but all computing is disabled (PhysX, Cuda, OpenCL). Mmph...I'm close but I feel completely lost. I'm doing a clean driver reinstall and will see what happens.

Edit: It appeared that power cables were loose..Everything is fine now, I'm doing some tests and post soon enough.

Ok, benchmarks:

3DMark11: 7448 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8336879 vs 5666 with GTX 660, very good.

3DMark06: 17610 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17594930 vs 19911 with GTX 660.

In Crysis 3, welcome to the juncle, everythin on max, 4xMSAA, barely drops below 30 FPS, so it's quite an impressive GPU.

Hi,

I have connected my GTX560 Ti, windows 7 64bits have installed driver and I have installed MSI driver of my gtx560Ti.

I use EXPGDC v6 (bought on aliexpress but my advice is to order in other shop because a cable is missing!)

But it's really not efficient, not at all.

I use PerformanceTest :

With my GTX560 Ti on my office computer :

http://i.imgur.com/jLv5dAE.jpg

With EXPGDC on my laptop Toshiba :

http://i.imgur.com/HyBqdWo.jpg

Result : 3485 (officecomputer) vs 517 (EXPGDC) vs 200 (with the HD4500 of my laptop)

Is it normal ? What can I do to increase performance ?

My chipset is GM45 and Toshiba L350-21U. My CPU is T9900 and I have 4GB Ram.

I could put here some pics :)

Thank you very much :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.