2012 Mac Mini + GTX970 @10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OS X 10.11.4 [Gosmond]

On 4/3/2016 at 2:33 AM, estahn said:

I was playing The Division the last 2 days and everything worked fine when it actually worked. It seems to have problems with starting up, sometimes. The monitor just stays black, maybe i need to give the AKiTiO more time to boot up? I could even use the external monitor + macbook display with Windows 10. I've read a couple of people have problems using both.

I can't comment on your black-screen problem, other than to say that that is never a problem with my setup. 100% of the time the 2 external displays attached to my GTX970 come up normally during boot, i.e. before the login window.  I never have to power-cycle the Akitio.  I leave it powered at all times. (It automatically sleeps itself when the system sleeps or is shut down.)

On 4/2/2016 at 5:19 PM, Rational said:

Gosmond, is this the same thing and would work identically? Or did you try one of these and it wasn't working?

http://www.amazon.com/XSPC-ATX-Bridge-Tool-Black/dp/B00NKQ4F98?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_15&smid=AELLOY6K8XB8X

I tried the jumper block that came with my PSU, and as I say in my post that did not work.

Your Amazon-linked product looks very much like what came with my PSU. That will probably work, but I can't guarantee it of course, not having tried that part myself. For the time being I continue to just use the paperclip.

Edited by Gosmond

Can you try the following

1. Do an SMC reset

2. Before you start your mini, connect to your monitor  via HDMI while the thuderbolt  is connected. Start your mini and verify if the GPU is detected is connected. If it is connected, remove the hdmi to your mini and connect it directly back to the GPU.

3. You may also do the following. Shutdown. Click Command + R right after you start your mini. Go to terminal and type the following csrutil disable and do the step #2.

Let me know how it goes.....

On 27 March 2016 at 8:18 PM, Dschijn said:

Unfortunately not. But I tested my first eGPU with a power meter.

I've now tested the Akitio case on it's own with a mains power meter and it seems to peak at 9W (no card in the case). I've also tested my GTX 980 in my Mac Pro desktop using hardware monitoring software and pushing it to its max it seems to peak around 190W. So in total that would be around 200W with the card fully maxed out. I'm thinking the Dell DA-2 would be ok then as the power draw is less than the 220W of the Dell adapter. Would this be right?

Edited by pixxelpusher

• 1 month later...

First of all thanks for your guide including the part number. I will try do make the same on my Mac mini 2014, i'm super noob at this so i will ask for help!

Mac mini power!!

Can you link me those items?

"eGPU cabling: good-quality GPU-card power cabling came included with the EVGA 550 G2 PSU above. I also ordered a custom-made 4-pin to 5.5/2.5mm barrel adapter to run the Akitio off the PSU, ~$20 on eBay, and a pair of low-profile, "right-handed" 6 pin cables also from eBay."

Are those ok?

https://www.amazon.it/Bitfenix-Alchemy-450mm-PCI-Express-Power/dp/B00CCH66LQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468434849&sr=8-1&keywords=6+pin+cable

https://www.amazon.it/Corpo-convertitore-presa-AvTex-piatto/dp/B00Z7Y2BTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468434913&sr=8-1&keywords=4-pin+to+5.5+barrel

Edited by ikir

@Gosmond I am trying a setup with 960GTX (zotac ) akitio, and i already tried dell psu but i had some power cut (and the dell psu stuck in "security mode" had to wait a few minutes to start it back) i first thought it was the dell so i bought a brand new PSU (advance TX-500W but not high quality one i think) and even if i can run gputest without a glitch for hours, the psu will cut itself and put in security if i launch a video game.

do you think trying to use psu for geforce only and akitio power for the box can solve this?

Edited by lilins

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2012 Mac Mini + GTX970 @10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OS X 10.11.4 [Gosmond]
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I come from China. my egpu GTX660 + 2015  15 "is MBP Iris. My OS is 10.11.6 my video card driver doesn't under MAC osx, but modified file has been identified is GTX660 2 gb. Graphics display is connected HDMI but no response,  could you tell me what to do. Very afflictive recently. Thank you very much