Hard drive questions

Gearsguy

Im finding 500gb is getting a little low for me. So 2 questions. 1. How hard is it to remove the hard drive? I popped off the back and saw it was just some little tab or something but didnt wanna pull it. 2. How much slower would 5400RPM be? Im torn between getting a 7200RPM 750gb or 5400RPM 1tb. I have a 2tb external USB 3.0 drive, but most of my hard drive space goes to steam games, which I keep on the laptop drive

These are the 2 hard drives Im considering btw

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145521

Edited by Gearsguy

I'd get the cheaper one...

By the way, today I realized that the HDD prices sky rocketed, at least over here (apparently due to the flood in thailand). It's CRAZY... a 2TB 3.5 inch Samsung disc which I bought a couple of weeks ago for about $85 is now $170... and I planned on getting another 2*2TB after I got my pay for the last three weeks. Guess I have to postpone this.

Ah, well price isnt a big deal and I will be waiting until christmas, which by then I could possibly get a deal or prices will lower a little. Im just wondering if itll become noticeably slower?

I can't answer ur question Gears, since i have little experience with this as well,

But as for Svl, prices are going up everywhere apparently. Idk the prices locally pre-flood, but its all over the news how significantly prices are raised.

Gears, go with the SSD. It noticeably faster by a lot. I've got 2 and I wish i could afford to get just 1 big one they are still worth it.

Best Wishes,

StevenX

I'm with you on this get a SSD for main and a 1TB-750GB as secondary...

out of the 2 you listed the 750gb is a better deal than the 1TB as Jimbo said 5200K rpm is sluggish but are great for data storage you don't need fast access to.

Edited by mw86

what about a Momentus XT hybrid ? I've heard that those are quite worth the money (although i don't know anymore since the floods, those probably took a hit). They are hybrid drives between an SSD and a regular hard drive. It just switches. Its like optimus for hard drives as far as i know :P

SGO - 520x417 Wide Single (Flat/Dark) and Four Reasons Momentus XT Hybrid Should be Your Next Drive | PCWorld Business CenterHope that helps :)

I liked the video showed boot times good but it comes down to that guys comments under the article you included

"Have been making a living out of HDDs/SSDs and their performance for a few years.. To me, it doesnt seem like Momentus is going to reach anywhere as good a performance as SSDs for most work loads. To get performance benefit, you need to be accessing the same 4GB over an over again. If you go outside that, the drive has to get it from the HDD. In this scenario, you are likely to see a slight performance hit compared to even a traditional HDD. I wish they had a larger SSD size. The core Windows 7 load itself will take most of that 4GB (if you are to benefit on boot time), leaving you with nothing for apps OR this adaptive memory thingy will work overtime transferring data from the disk to flash.

My feel: you will get a marginal benefit compared to traditional HDDs, and nowhere near SSD performance.."

I kind of agree but i have only used regular hd and SSD not hybrid...