[solved] My GPU is gone :\

Gearsguy

So looks like my 555M is gone. One can consider that a sort of a downer :(

Anyways, I was playing Crysis 2 when I BSOD'd. Nice eh? Then I reboot back into windows, everythings fine. So after doing some windows stuff for a while (CCleaner, new theme, ect), I go to overclock my GPU so I can finish playing crysis, when I see that my NVIDIA control panel looks like this (and its gone from right clicking on desktop, I just use a desktop icon for it)

post-444-14494991753552_thumb.jpg

Then I go into Device Manager to see if I need to reboot the driver or something, and my GPU is no where to be seen. Not even like default VGA adapter. Just the Intel HD. AND THEN, I went to install my drivers again as I still had the files with the modded INF, and it said no compatible hardware found

no me gusta

Edited by svl7
added [solved] tag

I had a problem that sounds almost identical to yours, if a few reboots doesnt help then you can do what i did. I clean installed the latest nvidia driver (with driver sweeper) and re installed direct-x through their offline installer. Usually BSOD is because of direct x crashing and could potentially get damaged. Anywho thats all the advice i got. other than that tech support might have some stupid idea that might work lol.

on a side note my card re appeared after a few reboots after un installing my driver. dont know the relevance but it might help.

Edited by Ninjahunter
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

don't panic, this happened to me too a few weeks ago.

Power off your machine. Unplug the AC and open the back cover. If you never opened the cover, be carefull when opening it, you have to slide / push it and NOT lift it. If you are unsure, just watch a youtube video on how to disamble it.

After the cover is open, unplug the battery (just pull out the cable, no need to remove it).

Now with the battery and the AC unplugged, press and keep pressing the Alien Button (Power on Button) for about 30 seconds.

Reconnect the battery and reassemble the cover.

Now boot into bios and load optimal defaults.

Save and boot to windows.

Normally everything should work as normal again. (The Geforce should also be listened in the bios again).

//Edit//

I just remember having trouble with the grafic card drivers when my accound did not have admin rights and the User account control was turned on. For some reason I kept getting blue screens of death.

• Thumbs Up 3

Id rather not open the machine, Im sure it can be fixed by software (as like 90% of problems are software-related; this one probably being drivers). Ill try everyones suggestions though. If it still cant be resolved, ill try it as a last resort nekojin.

EDIT: I turned off my computer, left it off for about 3 hours, and turned it back on. Viola, GPU is back and I can successfully access the control panel. Dont know what happened

Hi,

don't panic, this happened to me too a few weeks ago.

Power off your machine. Unplug the AC and open the back cover. If you never opened the cover, be carefull when opening it, you have to slide / push it and NOT lift it. If you are unsure, just watch a youtube video on how to disamble it.

After the cover is open, unplug the battery (just pull out the cable, no need to remove it).

Now with the battery and the AC unplugged, press and keep pressing the Alien Button (Power on Button) for about 30 seconds.

Reconnect the battery and reassemble the cover.

Now boot into bios and load optimal defaults.

Save and boot to windows.

Normally everything should work as normal again. (The Geforce should also be listened in the bios again).

//Edit//

I just remember having trouble with the grafic card drivers when my accound did not have admin rights and the User account control was turned on. For some reason I kept getting blue screens of death.

Thanks for posting that this method also solves any problems that may have come from setting certain setting wrong in an unlocked bios and the system is not booting... that same method should recover from any incorrectly set values...