M18x r2 bad GPU flash

thevexx1

hi all, i recently flashed my both GTX 675M and i flashed the wrong version (from techpowerup) i was running the under-volt bios made by @svl7 and i had to go stock, after successful flash in dos and reboot, 8 beeps POST with black screen, even a bios reset didn't resolve the problem, i had to remove the cards and now i'm on integrated gfx. i googled for a solution.

it looks like i have to resold another vbios chip or reprogram mine. is there any other solution? or can someone give me where to find these chips ?

my setup

Alienware M18x R2, A10 unlocked bios, no warranty, 2x GTX 675M.

thanks for helping and sorry for my bad english.

hi all, i recently flashed my both GTX 675M and i flashed the wrong version (from techpowerup) i was running the under-volt bios made by @svl7 and i had to go stock, after successful flash in dos and reboot, 8 beeps POST with black screen, even a bios reset didn't resolve the problem, i had to remove the cards and now i'm on integrated gfx. i googled for a solution.

it looks like i have to resold another vbios chip or reprogram mine. is there any other solution? or can someone give me where to find these chips ?

my setup

Alienware M18x R2, A10 unlocked bios, no warranty, 2x GTX 675M.

thanks for helping and sorry for my bad english.

did you flashed both?

maybe you will need a working card in slot 1 and bad flashed in slot 2 for recovery.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

After several months of waiting, I've got my chips, and i soldered them in place as well, and hell yeah i survived the 8 beep POST with black screen. But after testing some games i still have the same problem that forced me to flash my GPUs, i still have the black-screen with BRRRRRR sound after several minutes in game, well its a black screen of death, i checked the event viewer and when it happened; the critical error was : 'kernel-Power' as a source.

I've tried a completely clean windows install more than 5 times with different versions of Nvidia driver, clean/replace my RAM (2x 8gb 1600 Gkill / 2x 4 gb 1600 Samsung) no SLI cable since i just fixed only one GPU (the other still give me 8 beeps post in slot 0), i tried remove CMOS battery. same happening for me :( 
HELP !

23 hours ago, hans123 said:

Please explain why you want to flash the cards? In case of the black screens after 5 min. gaming?

Edit: what error of kernel power exactly? (41, etc....)

this is the error in event viewer--------
error: critical
log name: System

Source: Kernel-Power

Event-ID: 41

Level: Critical

User: System

OpCode: Info

Task Category: 63

keywords: 2

------------------

when my gpu started this weird phenomenon i thought the vbios caused it so i flashed the wrong bios version. so i lost it for couple months and now im back to the black-screen of death.

thanks

10 hours ago, thevexx1 said:

this is the error in event viewer--------
error: critical
log name: System

Source: Kernel-Power

Event-ID: 41

Level: Critical

User: System

OpCode: Info

Task Category: 63

keywords: 2

------------------

when my gpu started this weird phenomenon i thought the vbios caused it so i flashed the wrong bios version. so i lost it for couple months and now im back to the black-screen of death.

thanks

Can you tell me the graphics card temperature under load? 

Many people with the same problem had too high temps.

best regards!

Just now, hans123 said:

Can you tell me the graphics card temperature under load? 

Many people with the same problem had too high temps.

best regards!

thanks for reply,
i tested with fans at max speed and it didn't went more than 70 degrees C.

and with untouched fan profile it went around 65-80 degrees C. 

1 minute ago, hans123 said:

Okay.. these temperatures are normal.

did you try to do an clean install of your graphics driver?

yes i did, i bought another hdd and clean install windows 7 ultimate 64 bits after a bios reset with default setting (exept AHCI for sata), i did this more than 4 times with different version of nvidia driver.

i remember tried this, but im gonna retest with a clean windows install.

This morning i did a strange test; ac cable removed, with battery installed and 100%, i tested a game that it usualy gives me black-screen within 2 minutes, i played the game till it went critical battery and shutoff without getting black-screen

okay back after a day, i under-clocked my GPU from 1240 MHz to 810 MHz, thats too much i didn't test this before, i'm guess its a power problem(mobo or power brick) so after i UC i've played for 2 hours without getting a black-screen :D, and the surprise comes when i opened prime95(cpu bench), poof ! black-screen. i've been testing alot and what i understand is i have a power problem, and the GPU ask more power.. no response, poof black-screen ! i also flashed the unlocked bios A03 and limited my cpu (maximum battery profile, 1 core, no turbo, disabled c6 and c7 states), i played for 3 hours without GPU UC.
(in attachment i uploaded a screenshot of nvidia inspector, and i get that prompt after rebooting from a black-screen)

thanks for helping, i hope someone have a solution for this.

inspector uc.png2.png.c7485d4d166ac9f504dedf1a7a606fef.p1.png.c4341845d4476a396597c63ab123303c.p

Edited by thevexx1

• 1 month later...