OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I Like my temperatures :) There is so much potential for raising voltage and overcklocking, but this "thing" has so much power - I don't need to :cocksure:

1st Run:

No Overclock

3DMark Score: P3491

Graphics Score: 3236

Physics Score: 6486

Combined Score: 3176

Highest CPU: 72°

Highest GPU: 63°

2nd Run

[email protected] BCLK

GPU@750/1500

3DMark Score: P3926

Graphics Score: 3653

Physics Score: 6881

Combined Score: 3630

Highest CPU: 74°

Highest GPU: 65°

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just to keep the serious M17x-R3 benchers company. Both at room temp (~24C)/no auxiliary cooling.

3dMark11 -- P4457 (6990M @ 830/1150/2820QM)

4457p11.th.jpg

3dMark Vantage -- P16,578 (6990M @ 845/1200/2820QM)

16578pv.th.jpg

Sorry for asking this, but how did you get your 6990m to a coreclock of 845 and the memclock to 1200? Looking at Overdrive, mine is limited baaad to 745 / 900 =/

Sorry for asking this, but how did you get your 6990m to a coreclock of 845 and the memclock to 1200? Looking at Overdrive, mine is limited baaad to 745 / 900 =/

using overclocking via trixx or vbios there is no overdrive limit... i never use overdrive. also Revelator posted a method of editing the vbios to enable overdrive as high as you want yes you can change the limits... 845/1210-1215 is feasible in my experience for benching purposes... like what you qouted the 3dmark 11 and vantage.

• Thumbs Up 1

using overclocking via trixx or vbios there is no overdrive limit... i never use overdrive. also Revelator posted a method of editing the vbios to enable overdrive as high as you want yes you can change the limits... 845/1210-1215 is feasible in my experience for benching purposes... like what you qouted the 3dmark 11 and vantage.

okay thanks, i will read through the posts to find the vbios-editing instructions. thanks!

so I'm using trixx for gpu-overclocking. a "strange "thing i noticed is: i did a 3dmark06 bench with 830/1180 and the temp was not higher than 76 degrees celsius. if this is true, then i'm happy, but isn't it the temp a little low for this card, especially at such high clocks? is trixx doing such a good job controlling the fans or what? ;-) what are you guys using for monitoring the temps?

btw: putting my alien in the sig right now...just noticed i haven't yet..

so I'm using trixx for gpu-overclocking. a "strange "thing i noticed is: i did a 3dmark06 bench with 830/1180 and the temp was not higher than 76 degrees celsius. if this is true, then i'm happy, but isn't it the temp a little low for this card, especially at such high clocks? is trixx doing such a good job controlling the fans or what? ;-) what are you guys using for monitoring the temps?

btw: putting my alien in the sig right now...just noticed i haven't yet..

nope thats good thats my max after more than a day straight of use in game... it my one mem io on primary gpu of crossfire the rest are 72c on secondary memio and 67-68c max on shader and core. So you are in a good temp range.... I am using 822core 1100 mem repasted with ICD 24 and undervolted to 1.051v (1.05 wont let my games launch correctly but i can boot windows) all power profiles i set to 3d clocks and ulps disables so the cards act more like a desktop card... and i keep fans on max with HWinfo. what i found is this... if you go beyond what your card is capable in long term use of using as clocks the temps raise many celcius just from small mhz increments on memio,shader and core. so as long as its below they stay fairly cool i noticed... moment i add more mhz like on mem... i'd see a large temp increase... so best to go up till the temps react negatively... its just not worth many degrees more for a few mhz. so i would inch up till you you notice that and cut back to what did not raise the temps much. using vbios is tricky so just be sure to read up on the whole process... there are risks involved. So to sum up your temps are fine and you could just stay with those clocks... gaming should be good there... you can undervolt the standard 1.1v down a little but it would hinder benching if you plan to bench higher than gaming clocks...

• Thumbs Up 1

okay thanks a lot for the information! i myself decided to stay away of vbios modding right now and just use trixx. as far as ulps, i disabled that, but as i don't have 2 cards, it doesn't make a difference anyways. concerning undervolting, do i understand it right that in order to use uv, i will have to use a modded vbios?

also, i haven't repasted anything yet..i will do that, too, but right now i just don't want to take apart the machine just yet :)

i really want to do the undervolting, but for some reason i can't push myself over to vbios editing atm ;(

what i noticed right now is: when i use kombustor to do a stable-check, the temps will basically jump from 59 to almost 80 degrees in a couple of seconds, and then raise some more. but using the temp display in trixx, it shows less. so which of the tools is lying to me? -.-

okay thanks a lot for the information! i myself decided to stay away of vbios modding right now and just use trixx. as far as ulps, i disabled that, but as i don't have 2 cards, it doesn't make a difference anyways. concerning undervolting, do i understand it right that in order to use uv, i will have to use a modded vbios?

also, i haven't repasted anything yet..i will do that, too, but right now i just don't want to take apart the machine just yet :)

i really want to do the undervolting, but for some reason i can't push myself over to vbios editing atm ;(

what i noticed right now is: when i use kombustor to do a stable-check, the temps will basically jump from 59 to almost 80 degrees in a couple of seconds, and then raise some more. but using the temp display in trixx, it shows less. so which of the tools is lying to me? -.-

use Hwinfo the readings are all there three of them... ccore, shader, mem i/o temp. Yes vbios mod is only way to change those volts unless using physical soldered mod. Trixx cant change volts or anything like that that i know of. Also kombustor and furmark arent as accureate as playing the most powerful game you have or can easily get of today on really high graphic settings.... i've passed hours on furmark and had artifacts in games... StevenX wrote some great material on it... its worth checking out... those apps push harder than real world apps may ever....

• Thumbs Up 1

use Hwinfo the readings are all there three of them... ccore, shader, mem i/o temp. Yes vbios mod is only way to change those volts unless using physical soldered mod. Trixx cant change volts or anything like that that i know of. Also kombustor and furmark arent as accureate as playing the most powerful game you have or can easily get of today on really high graphic settings.... i've passed hours on furmark and had artifacts in games... StevenX wrote some great material on it... its worth checking out... those apps push harder than real world apps may ever....

thanks for the hint on hwinfo, i totally forgot about this, haven't used it in a long time..

well okay, then i will definately read up on the vbios mod how-to, because i want to see how good this works out for me.

yeah and hardcore gaming is the best temp-and-stable-check to throw at a system anyways

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally managed to hit the 880Mhz on the GTX580M. Vbios is modded to 0.92V, using System Bios A08, Forceware 290.36.

No CPU overclocking, stock cooling, repasted with Arctic Silver 5 and using Notebook Cooling Pad

3DMark Score

18028 3DMarks

Graphics Score

CPU Score

Jane Nash

54.52 FPS

New Calico

51.74 FPS

AI Test

2433 operations/s

Physics Test

23 operations/s

post-1414-14494992135917_thumb.jpg

Edited by robby_hd
  • Thumbs Up 2

That is a very very good overclock. I don't think I can hit that. Mine pussies out at 850Mhz. I'll try and push harder but I really don't see it happening. Nice score. I could not hit 18k GPU score with a i7 2630QM so well done :)

post-1903-14494992142436_thumb.jpg

Did a Vantage run today, I set the Clock in Intel XTU to 105MHz.

What do you think about the result? in 3D Mark 06 I got 20769, but I can't have the 6990 set as high as in a Vantage run, because other wise 3D Mark will crash.

BTW, still haven't repasted... ;)

• Founder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2954[/ATTACH]

Did a Vantage run today, I set the Clock in Intel XTU to 105MHz.

What do you think about the result? in 3D Mark 06 I got 20769, but I can't have the 6990 set as high as in a Vantage run, because other wise 3D Mark will crash.

BTW, still haven't repasted... ;)

That's pretty good for a non-XM system. I've seen 18k from a 2960xm + 580M but obviously it was the CPU helping them in that case. Good job.

Just to remind you guys, if you want a simple way to track everyone's benchmark results, you can submit your scores here: http://forum.techinferno.com/misc.php?do=forms Simply fill out the fields there and link back to your benchmark image in this thread.

That's pretty good for a non-XM system. I've seen 18k from a 2960xm + 580M but obviously it was the CPU helping them in that case. Good job.

Just to remind you guys, if you want a simple way to track everyone's benchmark results, you can submit your scores here: http://forum.techinferno.com/misc.php?do=forms Simply fill out the fields there and link back to your benchmark image in this thread.

thx, i will try to push it further tomorrow.

yeah, will do that tomorrow, too. :)

strange thing that happened to me today: i had the machine on battery yesterday until it died. in the bios i had charging behavior deactivated. so today, in order to have the battery charge, i enabled it again. so the alien was sitting there doing vangtage runs etc. when on one point (i was looking something up in the inet) the message appeared, that in order to save battery life, it's better to switch to the intel gpu via fn + F7. i immediately hovered the mouse over the battery icon in the system tray, and saw, that it said on battery. a split second later it switched to plugged in again. is there a behavior, which, after charging the battery to full, turns off the loading cycle switching to battery use, before noticing that it's needed to charge again or something like that? i had this thing happening a few days ago already once.

That's a respectable score for a single gpu. Keep pushing it :-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

thx! i got a vantage running right now at (863 / 1233) ... can't wait for the result, even though i don't believe i will get much higher (if at all) than the one before. my bclk is at the max i can get 105.50 is ok, but even at 105.60 system will freeze immediately. graphics-wise, i reached the max of the memory clock (1233), any more and the system will black-sod during the bench. gpu-clock is not at the max yet...bench still running.

• Founder

Try removing your bottom panel and shooting cold air conditioned air at the gpu. Though it may not net you much since you need more voltage.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk