OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

Guest bifnewman

i'm thinking of selling my m17x. anyone think it will go for atleast $2k? I will probably go for the M14x or Sager NP8150 + tablet if I decide to sell this.

Heres what I've been able to do thus far with 6970 X-Fire. Havn't been able to even come close to the GPU capabilities due to the PSU limits. But well see what I can do when I get more time.

3DMark Vantage: P 22724

GPU: 24438

CPU: 18823

22742.th.jpg

3DMark11: P 7234

7234x.th.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

@DR650SE: Very impressive!! You're seriously pushing your PSU with this setup... if only the power issue could get solved somehow, you still have so much headroom on bot, GPU and CPU. Too bad the system isn't designed to allow a power draw of 300W.

I know! I'd easily be in the upper 23K-24K overall vantage score if I could push harder. I've scored 23K CPU on Vantage numerous times, and the GPU's could easily score 25K. Once I get moved out to VA, I'm going to get with TheWiz, and see if we can't remove the bios PSU check. If that works out, better believe I will be picking up a 330W.

That would be great, but keep in mind that the system isn't designed for such power draws, it's possible that some components will get stressed too hard, or that the conducting paths leading to the GPUs are simply too thin for the needed amperage.

It's also possible that the max power draw is limited by some components on the mobo... Only way to make sure is unlocking the BIOS, plugging in a 330W PSU and see what happens. I don't think it would kill the mobo immediately, but it may cause damage during long-term use... though since you won't stress it that hard for daily work I guess it should work with the PSU check removed (and assuming there's no hardware which limits the power draw)

:P Mobo i under warranty. Though it would be interesting to see if they replace it after my mobo burned down. I swear, it was an accident! thats why I have accidental damage! :P

with the old alienware you could have tryed your self

i droped vodka and coka into my laptop accidentaly and i didn't had accidental damage covered by my warranty and they replaced the keyboard without asking to many questions

not sure you could do it with dell though

Looks like I may have to RMA one of my cards. It's giving me BSOD, and anytime it hits the 3D Clocks now it auto shuts down the computer as if I yanked the power cord. Tested it in both slots. X-Fire it results in a BSOD since it's the slave card, when put in the master slot it auto shuts down. It has been running sketchy for a few days.

To make matters worse, when I stored the 5870s, it looks like one card had gotten some sort of condensation on the corner which ate some solder. Now it beeps and gives me the GPU signal on the scroll/caps flashing at boot. *sign* looks like I'm going single carded for a while. At least I was able to squeeze the last bench run out of it, and was able to keep the CPU score a little higher. Had I used some Dice I think I could have hit the 24K overall mark.

At least I was able to squeeze this out between issues. I prepped the system and put a little dice on it, but only made it though one run. Maybe once I get the RMA (6970s), and replacements from dell (for the 5870s) I'll be up and running full speed. Things looked so promising. :(

3DMark Vantage: 23405

GPU: 24381

CPU: 20896

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9273/23405.jpg

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yea just my luck that i have one bad card from each set.

What happened was a that i think when I put up the 5870 some moisture was on my hand. Probably from eating a popsicle. Lol. Anyway ot was on the corner of the card. Cause enough corrosion to eat some solder and kill the card. At least Dell will replace that. My fear is that since I've already had a mobo replacement and two gpu replacements they will push me for an M18x which I don't really want. I want to continue benching the M17x R2.

For the 6970s issue, Pkhetan is on it and working on an RMA. If I can keep the gpu at 24k and push the cpu to 22k. I think i can get a 24k overall score. If I can get a modded bios I think i can even get 25k with a 330w psu.

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 4

Guest bifnewman
Thow up a GPU-Z screen shot. Must have looked like a slide show, I don't kow how you let it finish! lol :P

lol. i just downloaded gpu-z and ran it and my computer froze. after a min, a green screen showed for a millisecond, then it turned black. I just turned it off and restarted and it worked fine. Here's the shot.

post-190-14494988213647_thumb.png