Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

3d tv play.... just get external usb nvidia ir and glasses and output 120hz.... forget the utility.
It gets messier than that. You also have to use the mini-display port with a dual link DVI connection to output 120hz. The 3dtv play just uses the (very poor IMO) TV system over HDMI and glasses. You are even stuck at TV resolutions and frequencies so only 720p/50hz is playable. At 1080i the refresh is only 24hz. The TV technology smooths this out but the latency it introduces is just unplayable.

The NV system is far superior, no split-images on a single frame, full 60hz to each eye. It does not matter what frequency your 3DTV states it cannot receive and output 120hz :(. You have to have a 120hz monitor or panel and use the correct connector :(.

Hey guys I did it!

After stalking this thread for a couple weeks, I managed to get a 980m into my M17x R4 (with the help of forum member Etienne Dubois, thanks!)

Now I'm wondering if it would behoove me to upgrade the CPU?

I've currently got a Intel Core i7 3820QM (Ivy Bridge) in here, but I'm willing to upgrade.

Thoughts??

Thanks so much @J95.

I will definitely try this.

BTW, for 780m sli, which driver do you recommend?

And you mod inf are for all alienware right, including m17x R4, m18x R2?

No SLI and Single separate inf this time?

Yep, M17x & M18x included, added SLI options. This is for 980Ms only, nvdmi.inf (Dell 1028) using entries/sections from 880M/780M. nv_dispi.inf 980/970 desktop (single & SLI).

Try nv_dispi.inf_v344.80 for 980Ms, @mikecacho is using. 780Ms v337.88.

@J95 thanks for inf mod.

Actually from my experience with 980m SLI from past few day on throttle issue of Alienware m18x R2.

There are two reasons, noticed so far.

1) After windows update, it may change system files and causing this throttle problem.

2) Power throttle, if you kept CPU below 4.0x4 and VID @ 0 or 10. Than GPUs will not throttle.

There is no CPU or GPUs throttle from past 3 days.

So you found a way too keep them stable...still unacceptable...:D

Yep, M17x & M18x included, added SLI options. This is for 980Ms only, nvdmi.inf (Dell 1028) using entries/sections from 880M/780M. nv_dispi.inf 980/970 desktop (single & SLI).

@J95 @godfafa

The nv_dispi.inf_v344.80 works great. Also ensure you are not placing a modded dispi.inf & nvdmi.inf in together, it will cause throttling, use one or the other "only"

As for the windows updates causing issues, I am not experience that problem @godfafa @Peter.

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95 @godfafa

The nv_dispi.inf_v344.80 works great. Also ensure you are not placing a modded dispi.inf & nvdmi.inf in together, it will cause throttling, use one or the other "only"

As for the windows updates causing issues, I am not experience that problem @godfafa @Peter.

Could you tell me the vbioa version of your 980m?

And for how many days have you tested? For me it works great when I install drivers. But then it throttles down after 1~2 days.

Could you tell me the vbioa version of your 980m?

And for how many days have you tested? For me it works great when I install drivers. But then it throttles down after 1~2 days.

@godfafa

So i installed the driver again just to test out some of @J95 mod .inf, and now the GPU is throttling, this is weird... hmm

Thank you buddy. I will definitely try this tonight.

@J95 no version (1) nvdmi.inf then i went back to the one i was using and now its still throttling...

Im going to try that one just for kicks and see what happens tho.

That's v337.88. Uninstall w/ DDU (Clean and Shutdown) then re-install v344.80/nv_dispi.inf. 880M Déjà vu, hopefully not.

@J95 no version (1) nvdmi.inf 344.80 then i went back to the one i was using and now its still throttling...

Im going to try that one just for kicks and see what happens tho.

Yeah as I told you, this 980m dont throttle always, but "randomly".

It is good yesterday, bad today.

That's why I was asking you how many days you have been tested that on m17x R4.

Not blaming you anything. Just telling you the truth. I have made 980m and 980m sli work perfectly in m18x R2 but suddenly they dont like to work that way.

The only way to make throttling 980m work again is to install nvidia driver (with mod inf) again.

This way alienware will work for a few hours or a few day. But suddenly it will throttle again.

This is what had happened to me for nearly past 1 months.