My Y500 didn't come with a SSD cache

jainamites

So from what I've seen around the internet this laptop's supposed to have a 16gb SSD cache along with the 1TB HDD. Mine doesn't have one and it kinda bummed me when I bought the laptop. Maybe it's how units here in the Philippines are (that sucks). Anyway I got myself a 256GB Toshiba mSATA and it's just glorious.

I posted this to ask if there are actually models of the y500 with no SSD cache. The more you know, right? Thanks!

*I'm currently looking into flashing my BIOS with the sticky posted in this forum because I wanna switch out the crappy network card to an Intel 7260 AC. Also since I just got a better router that makes use of AC. Tips would be appreciated :D

**Oh, I'm planning to OC too once the flash is done. Wooo!

• 3 weeks later...

i think it depends on region, i got mine from malaysia and i too didnt have the SSD cache drive, spoke to the seller and showed them on the lenovo website that it does include the 16gn ssd drive, when we called lenovo malaysia, we were told that those with the 16gb ssd are parallel imports from the US. :embarrassed:

I'm suffering from the same issue with Y500. I already purchased an AC7260 and then i discovered that Lenovo locked the Bios. I can't understand what's the point of a locked Bios!!

About the ssd cahche partition, mine got corrupted as i was trying to recover w8 installation (n2230 was a little more stable on w8, so i decided to downgrade from w8.1), so i just formatted the recovery partition and im living without it so far.

It was painfull to install a w8 retail version on y500 to, because the Bion lock again. I'll never, never buy a Lenovo procuct again. Extremely disappointed.

Please. tell me if AC7260 works for you.

Thanks in advance and sorry about any english mistake i've done.:48_002:

Hi, I'm from Malaysia too. For my Y500 unit, it did not come with the 16GB msata too. Even then, my unit is only 500gb HDD instead of the 1TB.

@Krysiun : I believe you will need to mod your BIOS to unlock first in order to use other Wireless card. There's a guide in the forum on how to mod it also. Check it out

From what i know. when you buy it there is a option to put it in or to not put it in. I chose to put one in mine. maybe you accidently unchecked it? I have no clue but usually when they dont come its cause you didnt add it.

• 3 months later...

my y500 was a single gt650m 8gb ram without the ssd cache since then i have brought the ultrabay gpu gn36 and also installed a samsung ssd 840 evo msata 500gb ssd as the boot drive and use the 1tb as storage note lenovo one key recovery does no longer work and i learned its best to do a clean boot instead of migrating the os from hdd to ssd as it was having problems with windows search and folder directory maybe it was a mistake on my part but all is well now

• 2 weeks later...

OneKey is a piece of poo, Never use it go with other software, even windows backup is more stable. Not to sound snarky but Onekey is just not supported well by lenovo. They have it but they do not update or even fix issues with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine didnt, but I knew that ahead of time, as I was buying a slightly cheaper version. Though I promptly found a 32GB SSD for like $40 on ebay I used for caching, saved myself some money.

- - - Updated - - -

It is for caching, it isnt for loading anything on for day to day use...