Lenovo Y510p SLI Info.

hurkan

I noticed that the 750 SLI y510p laptop on Lenovo now includes 16GB of RAM. The model I purchased off of the outlet only included 8GB of RAM. So, the age old question; Will I benefit graphics wise by going to 16GB from 8GB?

I have read that increasing the RAM will allow a video card to use more system memory, capping at 4GB. My impression is that a single card would not benefit from the increase. But what about the SLI configuration?

Thank you!ops.gif.pagespeed.ce.0FI54pj2Fl.gif

No, increasing your ram is not going to give you increased graphical performance in games. 8gb is more than enough for any game that is currently available. However, iGPUs (eg: intel hd 4000) benefit from using faster ram since they do not have their own dedicated memory.

With SLI in the y510p you've already got effectively 4gb of dedicated graphics memory (2gb per card). Thats more than enough for most new games and at this point the games will lag because the cards are not powerful enough to run them, not because you don't have enough graphics memory.

With SLI in the y510p you've already got effectively 4gb of dedicated graphics memory (2gb per card). Thats more than enough for most new games and at this point the games will lag because the cards are not powerful enough to run them, not because you don't have enough graphics memory.

VRAM doesn't combine in SLI. You wiill only get 2gb. SLI | FAQ | GeForce

first of all, 4GB memory is GPU memory, which is dedicated for your display card usage only.

But, imo, adding another piece of ram allows your laptop to dual channel, i think it's a good to go. If you have the budget :P

I'm sorry but I believe you are misinformed...

Every Y400/Y410p, Y500/Y510p has either 8gb or 16gb of RAM from factory with its sticks split into 2x4GB or 2x8GB, so we are already benefiting from dual channel RAM. It has nothing to do with the graphics card.

Also, our laptops do NOT utilize our GPUs' VRAM separately. If something is being rendered in SLI, everything (mainly textures) are loaded into BOTH cards' memories, limiting the total VRAM to 2gb. Everything loaded into memory on one card needs to also be on the other (if you're rendering 3D with SLI).

Please do some research before posting misinformation as fact :/ (I know you said "Imo, adding another..." but that didn't even really make any contextual sense).

As what i understand how lenovo works, they seldom dump more than 1 piece of Ram into the default spec of the laptop being promoted. So far i studied the product promoted in UK, ASIA and Australia, they are 95% single 8G/4G sodimm in the system. SO, how would it be possible b D.C when it's only one dimm?

And, What i meant of the 4G reffered is when under SLI mode, the combined VRAM (2+2) are dedicated for the Display card only, not for the system.

TBH, i know what i am doing and replying here as i reply base on TS's question. I just don't get what is your point by asking me to do more research as your "suggestion" is not relevant at all.

2 cents and peace

• 11 months later...

I heard it's the hard disk which is responsible for faster loading of textures and its the video card responsible for rendering them. RAM just stores and recycles the already loaded textures so they don't need to be reloaded from hard disk. I noticed a BIG improvement when I went to a SSD hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Jrocker71

Mentioning the SSD for more system performance is brilliant. I ripped audio CD's with my lenovo y510p (4th gen i7 but HDD) and my wife's Sony Vaio (1st gen i7 and SDD). The Vaio was much faster than my lenovo y510p. I concluded that SSD has a big influence on system performance. Apparently, my lenovo was constantly reading and writing on the HDD although I had 16GB RAM.

• 7 months later...