Hollow Sound - No Subwoofer?

You have to...

1. Right click on your speaker in the taskbar

2. Choose playback devices

3. Right click on speakers

4. Choose configure speakers

5. choose 5.1 (next)

6. Deselect center and rear.. make sure subwoofer is selected.

7. select full range if desired.

8. finish and apply

good question BTW. I had the same one myself last week.

Best Wishes,

StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

Often in every laptop sub woofer combo I've heard they are tiny and punchy for a 1'' or less speaker. I would never complain. It takes a rather decent size speaker and power to create bass at 120Hz and below. These things sometimes reach close to that and its amazing... they will never be very strong sounding but will give a nice low tone to sound better than any set of "full range" speakers in a laptop because its not very big and therefore can't produce the average frequencies we consider to be bass but the fact that its a sub woofer enhances the other speakers. Plug in to a stereo and indulge if your home and gaming.

Edit: If you have a equalizer like in the IDT control panel you can raise 60Hz 120Hz 240Hz maybe 500Hz and you'd hear what the sub woofer can do if it is going to be noticeable at all.

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I wonder if that soundblaster software would enable subwoofer adjustments? So far IDT + windows = fail for me.

Well at least it's not just me that hears the hollow sound. I'm not expecting miracles here but having no adjustment on the sub is really bad. I have a studio xps 16 with a sub on it and i can definately hear a difference when i adjust the bass. It's not thumping bass by any means nor would I expect it to be but I would hope that adjusting the sub would give a more fuller sound at least boosting midrange...but I hear nothing on the m18x and on my studio there is definately a difference.

I'm not sure. I looked around the web and there seems tons of info on running the software on RealTek chipsets but absolutely nothing with running it on IDT. I know part of the MB xfi stuff is licensed but the other stuff is not so you would think that the IDT stuff would be as readily available as the RealTek info but it's not. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Founder

T1TJ: I'd recommend going into the windows sound properties and changing the playback from 16 bit (default) to 24 bit 44.1k, it will substantially increase the quality of sound. Also, try configuring the IDT equalizer, it helps a lot with bass.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest bifnewman
LOL.... I guess if one wants a good screen and good sound system, one should go with Dell XPS. :D

that's a shame, really... i think alienware should have the best all-around components(including sound system and screen) because of the branding and advertisements they put on it... im not talking about the m18x in particular, just alienware in general... i actually love the m18x screen from the look of the pictures, but the only thing i can compare it to is my samsung syncmaster 23" 1080p monitor.....

• Founder
@Brian - what type of performance hit going from 16 to 24bit sound? I know 1 percent of an I7 doesn't sound like much but on heavy games it can lead to decreased frame rates.

Haven't measured it yet but I don't think I took any hit or if there was one, I didn't notice it.

T1TJ: I'd recommend going into the windows sound properties and changing the playback from 16 bit (default) to 24 bit 44.1k, it will substantially increase the quality of sound. Also, try configuring the IDT equalizer, it helps a lot with bass.

Great Idea I like using higher rates on my audio too especially if hooked to an external stereo! To give a heads up certain older games can crash is not set to the audio rate they like and prefer usually cd-dvd rate 16bit 44khz. But if all your games launch fine don't worry about it. Or if gameplay is choppy change it back too. Saw the videogame caused issue at starting the game when in different sound rate. Aliens Versus Predator newest version had choppy gameplay at higher sound rate.... this was on my M17x R2. Like I said if you experience no probs don't worry about it.

• 6 months later...

I have the sound blaster software with mine and it just adds more fancy surround sound algorithms to the IDT control panel. To me the sound is very shallow but have yet to play arround with it fully.

On the M17x R3, the sound is really hollow by default. I don't know whether the IDT control panel is the same on the M18x but I leave the EQ at default (flat) but I use the WavesMaXX tweaks. Check Attachments :)

Most other settings make the sound feel like it's passed through a filter but with these, it sounds fairly neutral will good bass and a general better hearing experience.

post-107-14494992140331_thumb.jpg

I have the Soundblaster Software which just adds thing to the IDT control panel But the best fix for this is in the windows sound setting right click on Speakers/Headphones a new dialog box opens and goto enhancements and turn on Loundness Equalization