Higher Altitude = Higher Temps?

So I'm just curious if anyone has been able to test this. Do systems at high altitude run hotter than when at lower altitudes? I'm in Denver (5200 ft) and I notice my temps at stock have always been considerable higher than others. One week I went to Salt Lake (4500) and I swear my temps dropped a consistent 2 degrees despite the room temp being the same.

Anyone know how much of a difference altitude or humidity levels has on systems?

Well I wonder if there is a known science that would support this theory (lower altitudes run cooler temps). Also, if anyone has tested say in Cali at sea level, and at some other time tested at an altitude such as mine and noticed a difference.

I doubt a couple hundred feet will make a noticeable difference, the ambient temp has more influence. But I can imagine that air cooling is more efficient in lower altitudes due to the higher density of air.

You guys are forgetting the air humidity that has an effect on the thermal capacity of your cooling air.

Also please consider the relativistic effect of the altitude on the cpu frequency, before you decide to move to a different location.;)

You guys are forgetting the air humidity that has an effect on the thermal capacity of your cooling air.

Also please consider the relativistic effect of the altitude on the cpu frequency, before you decide to move to a different location.;)

heat - How air humidity affects how much time is needed for heating the air? - Physics Stack Exchange

according to this 100% humidity vs 0% is only a 3.6% increase in the air's heat capacity.

I would imagine that it was probably a difference in ambient temperature in your case. I found a fairly old reference describing things to consider in cooling design against altitude. The altitudes described are much higher than the ones in your environment.

Coolingzone.com - Cooling electronics at high altitudes made easy

• 1 month later...

Well it is only logical that at high altitudes where the air is thinner there will be less volume of air for your fan to pass over your graphics card heat sink to dissipate the heat it generates, causing the high baseline temperatures at those altitudes. The more particles of air to absorb the radiated heat off the heat sink the more able your fan is to lower your temps. Looks like you need to seek lower ground!

• 2 weeks later...

I tested my newly acquired GT60 (4700mq and 780m gtx) repasted with IC diamond onboard a flight from Atlanta to Paris, playing Crysis3, the only thing that stopped me was food being served...

Honestly i noticed no real difference in temps, it ran quite cool with cooler-boost Cpu @ 68-70 and gpu @ 75-78 which is really in line with what i experience at home with the Ac running.

So cabin pressurization seems adequate.