M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

no you are wrong....i managed to install the video card 100% correctly and i played few games to check it.....but after i finished...i went back to the bios to enable again the audio and the cpu card(the video) till then i stuck on logo screen...now the only thing i want is how to reset the bios with a usb ....i have a12 unlocked

Apologies for misunderstanding your explanations of where you were in the process, unfortunantely I can't offer any more diagnosis for your issues, I suggest you look in the thread I linked you, and read the stuff in this thread too - so that you can re-enable the audio sucessfully - after you've sorted out your resetting BIOS with a USB issue of course.

i managed to install the new graphic card but after the successful installation i re-enable the cpu graphic card and till then i can t even pass the logo screen....the load bar stuck in the middle of the way and i have to force shut down....i read in an other thread that this is probably from a bad bios flash(although i believe it sthe mobo :( )

i have already tried that http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x-aw-14/1330-bios-reset-recovery-possible.html ..but nothing happen. the laptop start fans working it seem to read the usb for a few se the the light goes off and the screeen stays black...

any suggestion in how to reset bios or reflashed it?? but don t forget i can t get to bios....no beep although the card seem to working fine...

thanks in advance

Switchable graphics is not supported, enabling iGPU caused this.

Specs?

- Unplug power cord

- Remove battery

- Hold power button for 30 seconds

- Remove CMOS coin battery (next to GPU fan)

- Remove gtx 770m

- Reinsert CMOS battery

- Plug power cord

- Power on -> Beeps -> hold power button until shutdown.

- Power on -> F2 -> Integrated sound card disabled -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> Exit menu 'Save Without Exit' -> shutdown.

- Reinsert gtx 770m.

- Power ON -> F2 -> shutdown.

- Reinsert Battery.

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95, ah, of course, the intel iGPU, I missed that when he referred to 'cpu graphics card', didn't know what he was talking about, especially as that's the first thing to understand when you install a non-standard GPU - it didn't even cross my mind!

@J95, ah, of course, the intel iGPU, I missed that when he referred to 'cpu graphics card', didn't know what he was talking about, especially as that's the first thing to understand when you install a non-standard GPU - it didn't even cross my mind!

hello again,

i succesfully reflashed and installed the gtx770m again , i want to thanks you guys both you :)))))

although the performance it skind of low....lowest that was with my old gtx580m , the gtx770m should be better....maybe the driver is kind of corrupt?what can i do?to improve the performance?

hello again,

i succesfully reflashed and installed the gtx770m again , i want to thanks you guys both you :)))))

although the performance it skind of low....lowest that was with my old gtx580m , the gtx770m should be better....maybe the driver is kind of corrupt?what can i do?to improve the performance?

GPUz: temperatures, frequencies, throttling. 3DMark11 to compare GPU scores.

• Thumbs Up 1

hello again,

@grandanoke very few were able to successfully upgrade their R3s/770m proving that it is vBIOS related, so you could request svl7 to modify this specific version to 'rev 02' (adjustable voltage/power target...) http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7.html consider donating.

Download the latest GPU-Z Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.7 | techPowerUp click save card BIOS and upload the vBIOS file here (.zip), helping members upgrade succeed.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

gpu temperatures are quite low like 60-62C max (used to be 75), mhz was full 880 , , volt was good too ..

i think i know what cause that lower performance.....before i add my gtx770m , the desktop graphics and everything else except the game was handled by the cpu intel hd and the gtx580m was handled only the game. now my gtx770m handle everything:/ is there a way i can re enable my cpu?:( the last time i try to do it from bios my computer couldnt even pass the logo screen...that s why i was asking you how to reflashed the bios...and all that story......

so my question is: is there a way to re-enable the cpu intel graphics hd like it used to be? if ,yes i want to be 100% sure...otherwise i will have a big problem to face again:/

i think i know what cause that lower performance.....before i add my gtx770m , the desktop graphics and everything else except the game was handled by the cpu intel hd and the gtx580m was handled only the game. now my gtx770m handle everything:/ is there a way i can re enable my cpu?:( the last time i try to do it from bios my computer couldnt even pass the logo screen...that s why i was asking you how to reflashed the bios...and all that story......

so my question is: is there a way to re-enable the cpu intel graphics hd like it used to be? if ,yes i want to be 100% sure...otherwise i will have a big problem to face again:/

No you can't, try the vBIOS mod option, AC power set windows to high performance -> open Nvidia Control panel set power option to high performance.

No you can't, try the vBIOS mod option, AC power set windows to high performance -> open Nvidia Control panel set power option to high performance.

what do you mean vbios mod option , i did follow your instructions when i installed the card and downloaded the 334.89 driver(latest) and replaced all files(numbers)with the one you told me? what else can i do?

- - - Updated - - -

sr for being noob about that ..but explain what is vbios (a12 unlocked?) and how can i upload it ..

@grandanoke

Download the latest GPU-Z Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.7 | techPowerUp click save card BIOS and upload the vBIOS file here (.zip), helping members upgrade succeed.

Thanks.

Not the M17xR3 system BIOS A12, but the gtx 770m vBIOS

post-3012-14494997321944_thumb.gif

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html#post23432

@grandanoke very few were able to successfully upgrade their R3s/770m proving that it is vBIOS related, so you could request svl7 to modify this specific version to 'rev 02' (adjustable voltage/power target...) http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7.html consider donating.

Thanks.

That's a good idea j95, so that other users can just use grandanoke's VBIOS to make sure their 770M is compatible with the R3 - and plus if svl7 modifies it then it will be a fully overclockable & overvoltable option as well! It's been a bit of a mystery as to why some 770M's work and other's don't so it would be great to have nailed it down to a specific VBIOS file that is compatible with the R3.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a good idea j95, so that other users can just use grandanoke's VBIOS to make sure their 770M is compatible with the R3 - and plus if svl7 modifies it then it will be a fully overclockable & overvoltable option as well! It's been a bit of a mystery as to why some 770M's work and other's don't so it would be great to have nailed it down to a specific VBIOS file that is compatible with the R3.

so now you gonna use me? :(((...nah just kidding:)

gimme instructions step by step ....and simple as possible what to do...

Click the green/black icon and save the vBIOS file.

[ATTACH]11101[/ATTACH]

Yeah, already PMed @tacumadesigns http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/5951-problem-a12-unlocked-bios-not-showing-hidden-menus.html

ok i did save it.....btw the most serious problem i have is that every 20 min the nvidia divers stop responding..and i have to close the game sometimes...(although the drivers recover )

at least i want someone to help me solve that:/

ok i did save it.....btw the most serious problem i have is that every 20 min the nvidia divers stop responding..and i have to close the game sometimes...(although the drivers recover )

at least i want someone to help me solve that:/

- Uninstall drivers (previous drivers leftovers) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V12.4 first uninstall option (Safe Mode)

- Download GeForce 334.89 WHQL

- Extract driver 7-Zip/winrar -> Nvidia...International folder delete the following folders:

Display.Optimus

Display.Update

GFExperience

GFExperience.NvStreamC

GFExperience.NvStreamSrv

LEDVisualizer

MS.NET

Network.Service

NvVAD

ShadowPlay

- Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvdmi.inf (unzip) nvdmi.inf_v334.89_AW_M17xR3_GTX_770M

- Nvidia...International folder\ -> run setup.exe

• Thumbs Up 1

Click the green/black icon and save the vBIOS file.

[ATTACH]11101[/ATTACH]

Yeah, already PMed @tacumadesigns http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/5951-problem-a12-unlocked-bios-not-showing-hidden-menus.html

Awesome! I remember tacumadesigns was having problems in the notebookforums, but I couldn't help him on it. It will be good if he can use grandanoke's vBIOS file to solve his problems! Grandanoke could be a saviour! ;-)

@grandanoke, Hopefully that clean driver reinstall will solve your display driver problems. If that doesn't work, it almost sounds like the same symptoms of a card that's overclocked too far. Now, I know you've not overclocked your card, but maybe one of the chips on the card is not padded up properly, and is overheating and becoming unstable. (Like maybe one of the VRAM chips). How did the padding up go, were you confident you got all the chips covered? (I found that the hardest part of the process when I did mine) (I know your GPU core is not getting too hot, because you've checked that already, but there are no temperature readings unfortunately for the other components on the board).

Awesome! I remember tacumadesigns was having problems in the notebookforums, but I couldn't help him on it. It will be good if he can use grandanoke's vBIOS file to solve his problems! Grandanoke could be a saviour! ;-)

@grandanoke, Hopefully that clean driver reinstall will solve your display driver problems. If that doesn't work, it almost sounds like the same symptoms of a card that's overclocked too far. Now, I know you've not overclocked your card, but maybe one of the chips on the card is not padded up properly, and is overheating and becoming unstable. (Like maybe one of the VRAM chips). How did the padding up go, were you confident you got all the chips covered? (I found that the hardest part of the process when I did mine) (I know your GPU core is not getting too hot, because you've checked that already, but there are no temperature readings unfortunately for the other components on the board).

i think paded it well didnt remove the old pads from the heatsink , and i put new pads in places there wasn t any pads....i think the padding was good at all, but anyway i am telling you the max tempe it s around 65C how far can go in one pad?:/ maybe 70 maybe 75? still it s not enough to cause a driver issue...that things it s 99% of software problems......

i ll follow j95 instructions,,,later when i come back from the job

i think paded it well didnt remove the old pads from the heatsink , and i put new pads in places there wasn t any pads....i think the padding was good at all, but anyway i am telling you the max tempe it s around 65C how far can go in one pad?:/ maybe 70 maybe 75? still it s not enough to cause a driver issue...that things it s 99% of software problems......

i ll follow j95 instructions,,,later when i come back from the job

Yes, definitely try j95 instructions on the clean driver install first before considering re-padding your card. I don't fully understand your message (that's fine, English is not your 1st language), but the temperature you see for your GPU is only the temperature of the GPU core - this is the chip that you put the paste on. All the other components on the MXM board do not have temperature measurments, so it's 'impossible' to know the temperatures of your VRAM and other chips on the board. So, it doesn't matter if your GPU core is at 65 degC, if it's not padded up properly then that doesn't mean that the chips on the board aren't dangerously high in temperature - which is why I asked you if you were confident with your padding & that all the chips were covered. But, you say you're happy with the way you've padded it up, so it's probably not a problem, and hopefully a clean driver install will fix your issues.

Yes, definitely try j95 instructions on the clean driver install first before considering re-padding your card. I don't fully understand your message (that's fine, English is not your 1st language), but the temperature you see for your GPU is only the temperature of the GPU core - this is the chip that you put the paste on. All the other components on the MXM board do not have temperature measurments, so it's 'impossible' to know the temperatures of your VRAM and other chips on the board. So, it doesn't matter if your GPU core is at 65 degC, if it's not padded up properly then that doesn't mean that the chips on the board aren't dangerously high in temperature - which is why I asked you if you were confident with your padding & that all the chips were covered. But, you say you're happy with the way you've padded it up, so it's probably not a problem, and hopefully a clean driver install will fix your issues.

frist i will have to unistall the old nvidia dirvers(which are the 334.89 ...although they are not oldXD)? and then extract the new driver(the same -_-) , delete all that files, and then copy that thing you gave me and install it?

i didin t get the "safe mode" and the last part where i have to copy/overwrite that file(driver) ,

in case sthing go wrong and the driver failed to install(like it happens most of the times even with the original driver ) i will be able to boot the laptop normally and try again?

- - - Updated - - -

the first time i tried to install the driver , it failed twice before it installed:/ thats why i am asking you..

frist i will have to unistall the old nvidia dirvers(which are the 334.89 ...although they are not oldXD)? and then extract the new driver(the same -_-) , delete all that files, and then copy that thing you gave me and install it?

i didin t get the "safe mode" and the last part where i have to copy/overwrite that file(driver) ,

in case sthing go wrong and the driver failed to install(like it happens most of the times even with the original driver ) i will be able to boot the laptop normally and try again?

- - - Updated - - -

the first time i tried to install the driver , it failed twice before it installed:/ thats why i am asking you..

It was j95 that gave you the instructions for how to do a clean install of your drivers, so if you're unsure then hopefully he'll be able to come back to you.

But according to his instructions I understood it as:

1) Uninstall drivers using Windows control panel

2) Run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V12.4 and choose the first uninstall option (Safe Mode).

3) - Download GeForce 334.89 WHQL

4) Extract the driver using 7-Zip

5) Go to the NVidia 'International' folder in the extracted driver and delete the following folders:

-Display.Update

-GFExperience

-GFExperience.NvStreamC

-GFExperience.NvStreamSrv

-LEDVisualizer

-MS.NET

-Network.Service

-NvVAD

-ShadowPlay

6) In the Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvdmi.inf with (unzip) nvdmi.inf_v334.89_AW_M17xR3_GTX_770M

7) Run the Setup.exe file in the International Folder, which will sucessfully install the driver

All I did there was copy & paste what j95 suggested to you & put in a few of my own words.

- - - Updated - - -

btw forget to mention that the hwinfo can r recognize my gtx770m , only at the compal ec section it says gpu .

it could recognize my old gtx580m and there were 2 more sections only for the card (volts ,tempe,mhz and bla bla)

As long as GPUz is showing that it's recognizing the card in all it's areas then I should think that's fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

@grandanoke DDU/uninstaller to remove any leftovers of the 580M.

- Include Display.Optimus to the folders list above.

- Post GPU-Z screenshot and upload the corresponding vBIOS file -> right click -> send to 'Compressed (zipped) folder' or 7-Zip Add to "xxxxxx.zip".

post-3012-14494997329361_thumb.png