HDMI Issues

I just got my Alienware M-18XR2 :D nd have been playing on battlefield 3 for a few days and the problem is when I switched to an ASUS VG236 monitor for playing I get an occasional black flash of the screen. Meaning it will go completely black then the screen will come back to normal.

I have 2 GTX 675m's running in SLI mode and updated and a clean installation of drivers. I have a 3ft. High Speed HDMI cable to go between the 2.

Makes me wonder if the refresh rate has something to do with not being supported by the cable but I have never encountered this issue before and wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues or possible suggestions to get this issue resolved.

Really Hate :mad: getting blown up when unloading an MG240 on someone because of the screen flicker.

Heres an update on what ive done and think I finally solved it for now...

1. Re seated cable multiple times had no change in effect although was my first suspicion.

2. Changed cables had only made the problem worse. I tried a 11ft. Insignia branded cable and the screen saturation and contrast was completely out of whack.

3. Re-Installed drivers in safe mode after a complete wipe. Tried several times no luck :/

Then finally arrived at a solution :D

4. I have been using Nvidia drivers and usually check back at their website often for updates and had the lastest and greatest (according to them). Decided to go to Alienware M18XR2 Drivers page over at dell and use their drivers... problem solved.

What I dont get is how can the dell Nvidia drivers be different then the actually Nvidia drivers? Makes me think back to when I replaced Ram in Dell computers in the past, those computers would only past P.O.S.T. with Dell certified ram... Such a hassle that was :/

True that, I just worried about driver updates now. I know the saying goes if it isn't broke don't fix it, but a lot of times their drivers have performance updates for certain games and what not that I would hate to miss out on :(

• 2 months later...
Heres an update on what ive done and think I finally solved it for now...

1. Re seated cable multiple times had no change in effect although was my first suspicion.

2. Changed cables had only made the problem worse. I tried a 11ft. Insignia branded cable and the screen saturation and contrast was completely out of whack.

3. Re-Installed drivers in safe mode after a complete wipe. Tried several times no luck :/

Then finally arrived at a solution :D

4. I have been using Nvidia drivers and usually check back at their website often for updates and had the lastest and greatest (according to them). Decided to go to Alienware M18XR2 Drivers page over at dell and use their drivers... problem solved.

What I dont get is how can the dell Nvidia drivers be different then the actually Nvidia drivers? Makes me think back to when I replaced Ram in Dell computers in the past, those computers would only past P.O.S.T. with Dell certified ram... Such a hassle that was :/

I had this exact same issue (well, still have it, actually). Dell basically told me that only the drivers on their site are what they support, which I think is complete BS when it comes to a computer like this. The drivers on their site are always supremely dated where the GPU is concerned. I just discount that port now, which sucks, because I really want to use it. Perhaps what littleone562 recommended earlier in the thread would be a good solution. May have to give that a shot.

If I can tag my hdmi problem on to this instead of opening a new thread - I get slow down in games when using hdmi, everything runs fine on the laptop screen but when I connect it up to my tv the fps dips and the game starts to chug along. Any ideas?

I had this exact same issue (well, still have it, actually). Dell basically told me that only the drivers on their site are what they support, which I think is complete BS when it comes to a computer like this. The drivers on their site are always supremely dated where the GPU is concerned. I just discount that port now, which sucks, because I really want to use it. Perhaps what littleone562 recommended earlier in the thread would be a good solution. May have to give that a shot.

I hate the fact that dell only supports those drivers. I ran into similar issues with trying to upgrade the firmware on the factory installed SSD's ( Samsung 830's ) and there was no way I could even do any firmware updates from Samsung because Dell has the firmware encrypted I think. Well thats another story but I recommend littleone562 suggestion which seems to be working for me. Trimming back the hdmi connector case also helped on different cords that needed it. The only thing is the connection doesn't stay securely in the port and picture goes fuzzy if bumped. So I ended up just buying high quality HDMI cables too that didn't have such a bulky casing and contained more surface contact.

- - - Updated - - -

If I can tag my hdmi problem on to this instead of opening a new thread - I get slow down in games when using hdmi, everything runs fine on the laptop screen but when I connect it up to my tv the fps dips and the game starts to chug along. Any ideas?

What worked for me was changing the refresh rate and most importantly change the VERTICLE SYNC in the game. Worked for me in Battlefield 3 I had the same issue. But change that setting first before playing with the refresh rate. Good luck mate!