Can We upgrade G73SW GPU?

andrewff2

Cant attach picture via forums email service :(

Anyway chip is same as sop8 type only problems you would have is if you need to remove it. But with proper equipment thats not big problem. It can be replaced with sop8 type afterwards as it is easyer to solder.

I did tested that before when I owed both g73jh and sw so I swapped screens just to see what happened. And sw showed picture on jh screen but jh didnt worked with sw screen. And with your 670m showing on internal lcd I think chances are good.

Update. Just tested with lvds 40pin cable from non 3D version and still no output on internal screen. Hwinfo monitor tab is empty. Installed atk package and tried to switch betwen screens with Fn+F8 picture on vga screen just blink fast but nothing happens.post-5713-14494995007638_thumb.jpg

I am almost finished with modding bios chip so it to can easily be removed for programming in case of bad flash. I think its worth to try and attack our problem from this side to. When I am finish with that then we will see if MMTool can do something in our favor. I really hope we can make this upgrade possible:) there are many, many g73sw users there that would be happy to be on pair with other gaming laptop brand users :)

Btw IshouldGo what bios version you got on your machine?

Hello i was busy whole day yesterday. As they say patience is virtue. Its not my strong side anyway :)

I did test some functions in sbios with AMIBcp but for no effect. I think If function is not implementet in bios then there is no callback to that function and thus no changes.

Prema recieved whole bios dump from chip and I hope that he can find something that can help us.

But I will still continue to fidle around as I can easily reflash both chips if something goes wrong.

well if you guys see, patience is something is a must because you need to test and test and test :D

I made this thread looking for someone who tried the changes or willing to try... And i waited for someone (jmhdj fall from the heavens). I hope this changes work for all of the G73sw users.

while I'm waiting, I'm wondering if I could load the ASUS 670m vbios that they use on their 670m? assuming I can manage to get a hold of a copy of that vbios... what do you think? so it's for the G75 which is different from the G73sw, but....? (sighs) once again getting ahead of myself.... g'nite!

I have experimented with mmtool whole day today. And there were some extra menus that apeared in bios. So I tried to fiddle with them.

Those with acpi and pci functions but no matter what problem is still same. No picture on internal lcd and clocks are emberassing to say least :(.

Max frequency on core is 150mhz. I did got it to 235mhz once with nvidia inspector but dont remember what I did before that so I cant reproduce it again.

Small progress forward :)

I downloaded bios of asus g75vx and extracted vbios from it. As we know g75vx has 670mx with 3gb vram so i was sceptic about that. But surprise pc booted and loaded windows with no problems. Even clocks work now 601mhz core on max and vram 1400mhz. It even dowclocking normally. Didnt test anything more than that jet. But weird thing that both gpuz and nvidia inspector still recognise it as 680m and read other information correctly. In bios vbios version is readed as 80.04.97.00.13 NG2G75. under is screenshot from gpuz.

But internal lcd is still black.

post-5713-14494995077543_thumb.gif

I actually know that this works, the first version I sent you was based on an Asus 670mx vbios, but the problem is the internal screen.

Did you try both versions?